Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Education Welfare Board booklet

Options
  • 27-03-2007 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

I got a National Education Welfare Board booklet in the post recently. It was addressed to me directly, not the parents of X or Mr and Mrs X. It states the importance of children going to school and how important education is etc.

My question is did any one else get these booklets? Our eldest is in first class and she has missed about 10 days of school this term. All the reasons are very legit, she has had two chest infections and one tummy bug. The reason why I am a little paranoid about this is that I had a conversation with her teacher and principal one morning. It was very casual, I just met them in the yard. My daughter had a tummy upset and I told them that if she was at all feeling sick to please contact me asap. I said that "school was no place for a sick child" and they looked a little shocked and said that it was normal for children to get sick at school etc.

Just wondering how other parents feel about keeping their children home and if any got the booklet? I know I am clucky and tend not too push her to go to school if she is not alright, but she adores her teacher and loves school so I know she is not pulling a fast one. I am sure that will come in another few years :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Hi Pokerwidow

yes we got one too. One of our children is out sick at the moment. we too felt a bit paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

It states on the booklet that its going out to all parents of children over 6 I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Don't worry. I got the booklet and my children aren't even at school yet.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Thanks for the replies, good to know. It must be sent to all the people receiving children's allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I got a booklet too and then my daughter was given another one at school, what a waste of money that could be better spent on education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I got all paranoid as well, my two had been out for the 3 days after st patricks weeked as they got chest infections.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

magnumlady wrote:
    I got a booklet too and then my daughter was given another one at school, what a waste of money that could be better spent on education.

That money was spent on education - on educating parents that their children deserve schooling. Though I'm sure some people will just continue on their merry way and ignore it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The NEWB is far better resourced now than they were 3 or 4 years ago, they have computers and databases and proper offices and pps number and access to roll data online from the dept of education weekly returns (for secondary schools)

So they are not a joke any more and will intervene earlier in cases of prolonged absences , they do not have access to timely primary school attendance data until next year sometime.

Basically by 2008 / 2009 the schools need not notify them, they will know.

Of course they will prefer going door to door in nice middle class areas rather than in O Malley Park where their cars would be burnt out before they could clear their throats and introduce themselves .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I got one too. My husband didn't get one as the one and only that came to this house was addressed to me.

Guess its my problem weather or not our kids attend school.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The booklet went to whoever gets paid the Children's Allowance.

Traditionally this has been paid to the Mother (based on the assumption that if the husband drinks his wages at least the mother will get the allowance).

@sponge bob - it's not O'Malley any more - they split it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

I thought the booklet was a waste of money.

Not all kids like formal education or 'fit in' to the school system.

There was very little info on home-schooling in the booklet - something that's really taking off in Britian and the US.

Bear in mind too an important fact: the parent is the PRIMARY educator.

My kids are teens now, but if I had the time over again I would HS them.

Advertisement