Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that location (Wicklow 200 poster)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I think it's the road from Sally Gap eastwards down to the Vartry reservoir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Slow coach wrote:
    I think it's the road from Sally Gap eastwards down to the Vartry reservoir.

No, I'm on that road frequently. I know pretty much every road in county Wicklow and parts of the surrounding counties, it isn't to be found there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Yes, it's on that road - overlooking Lough Tay.

It was on the W200 route last time I did it.

Just about here:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=53.109471,-6.25828&spn=0.008334,0.020878&t=h&om=1

Membrane wrote:
    No, I'm on that road frequently. I know pretty much every road in county Wicklow and parts of the surrounding counties, it isn't to be found there.

On reflection it seems that it is the spot after all. I was thrown by the trees on the right of the picture that have since been felled, and I mistook the blurry gray spots further up the road for houses. The camera angle also threw me (I cycle in the other direction).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Correct, Morgan. Here's the original photo from the 2004 event:

http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/photos/album12/pages/IMG_0006.htm

That sequence of photos is from Luggala.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Anyone on here planning on doing the Wicklow 200? Never done it myself but would consider giving it a bash this year if anyone else is interested. Might have to restrict myself to the shorter Challenge ride as I've done a grand total of only 100 miles this year so far...

el tel wrote:
    Anyone on here planning on doing the Wicklow 200?

I sent my application in today.
    el tel wrote:
    Never done it myself but would consider giving it a bash this year if anyone else is interested. Might have to restrict myself to the shorter Challenge ride as I've done a grand total of only 100 miles this year so far...

I'm doing the 200 myself, but go for it. The event draws 1300 cyclists so you won't be short of company. On the day it is probably best to do your own tempo instead of making plans with forum members here who's ability you are not familiar with, you should then naturally end up with riders of similar ability, that's what I'm planning to do anyway.

Apart from the banter I expect to get a bit of a boost from riding with others, that's what happens when I encounter others on my solo rides, I use them as target practice, or (more likely) I try a bit harder not to be dropped to far and fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Membrane, I think I will give it a lash and see what happens. I don't think I'll get many miles in before then but saying as I don't really know the routes around wicklow a few training rides with someone who knows the area would be handy. I could of course drive the course in advance but being in a car could lull me into a false sense of security...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

If your looking for a tester before the wicklow200 have a look at the Mount Leinster Challenge just down the road in Enniscorthy in May. Great event last year. Just google Slaney Cycling Club.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Tales Of Topogr

............but be aware........that Corabutt Gap is harder than anything on the Wicklow 200 course.

That's why you should try it. You will cry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm doing it. Been working towards it since January in the hope that I won't completely die out there. I've got two friends who've started training with me and will probably sign up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm also doing it.
    Have been training for a while now.
    Lognest I've done so far is 140km, but 35 of that was part of my trip out to the start of the hills and back. That trip included Bohernabreena, N81, Sally Gap via Kippure (NW to SE), Roundwood, a right at Laragh up the R115, back over the Sally Gap (SW, NE) and back into Dublin. I'm building up to tackle Sally Gap, Wicklow Way and Slieve Mann in one go.

How are the rest of yis getting on?

P

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Longest spin to date was 120Km that took in Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap and Roundwood. Am doing at at least one long ride each week in Wicklow along with a few other shorter rides, usually from the city centre out to Howth Head. Planning on going down to do Sieve Mann at least once before June.

Advertisement