Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl and credit/debit cards

Options
  • 27-03-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place, feel free to move...

Heard on the Gerry Ryan show this morning of Lidl's practice of printing the whole number of a laser card on their receipts. This differs in practice from most shops where just the last 4 digits are printed. This is a security issue, anyone finding one of these receipts then has access to your card number.

Just a heads up for people who shop in Lidl to look after their receipts and not leave them anywhere they could be misused.

Edit: it was laser cards they were discussing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Hm, last time I checked you couldn't even use credit cards in Lidl...
    correct me if I'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

galah wrote:
    Hm, last time I checked you couldn't even use credit cards in Lidl...
    correct me if I'm wrong...

i think thats aldi....you can only use laser and cash there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

It's the same with LIDL, only cash or Laser card.

so there shouldn't be a problem then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

galah wrote:
    so there shouldn't be a problem then...

:confused: So you wouldn't have a problem with somebody procuring your laser card details in this fashion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

the message here is take care of your receipts either shred them or store them in a file at home, don't just throw them in the bin.

xebec wrote:
    :confused: So you wouldn't have a problem with somebody procuring your laser card details in this fashion?

I don't have a laser card, so I'm not sure what codes would end up on the receipts - but could anyone actually go online shopping with your laser card details? Or make fake cards? You would need the PIN, surely?

(not condoning this breach of safety, just wondering if Laser card details would pose the same problem as credit card details when in the wrong hands???)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

galah wrote:
    I don't have a laser card, so I'm not sure what codes would end up on the receipts - but could anyone actually go online shopping with your laser card details? Or make fake cards? You would need the PIN, surely?

(not condoning this breach of safety, just wondering if Laser card details would pose the same problem as credit card details when in the wrong hands???)

Normally on the receipt your card number will be displayed as this:

XXXX XXXX XXXX 1234 : only the last 4 digits are shown so no one can use your number!!

in this case its shown all the numbers like this:

1234 1234 1234 1234 : All digits are shown!!

Now you can use it online and the security code for any laser card will be 0000 so its easy enough to buy online items!!

fair enough, I did not know that (I just thought the laser card was a "better" version of your normal debit card, not with numbers etc on them...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jonny24ie wrote:
    Now you can use it online and the security code for any laser card will be 0000 so its easy enough to buy online items!!
    Very few online stores accept Laser and any that I know of require the correct billing address for verification.

If your Laser is Chip and Pin then having the card number itself is practically useless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Slightly off topic, but I happened to notice recently that Oddbins print the full credit card number on their receipts. I read my housemates card number out to him when I found an old receipt at home and gave him a fright! I know billing address verification and security codes would make it difficult to use the card online but it still seems a bit dodgy when there's no need to print the full number.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Actually I have ordered a few bits with my laser and a different address to what my laser card is at and no1 asked anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Here are some facts:

1) There are many Irish online stores whose customer base is mainly Irish who accept laser as a form of payment

2) There is no address check done on a Laser card during an online transaction. You may be asked to enter your address on the online form but this is not used in the transaction.

3) Laser does not have the same security mechanisms as Visa/MC. ie no CVV number or 3DSecure systems

Basically, do not let anyone else get your laser card number as it could be used fraudulently.

A

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hmm... Just checked a receipt for Lidl I had on my desk, has card type, nummber, no issue or start date, does have expiry date. Good point, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

known about this for years.. i think i posted about it.. or maybe i intended to but never did.. ever since they first came to Ireland.

Advertisement