Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty housing estate Balbriggan

Options
  • 27-03-2007 1:23pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is a housing estate at the end of my road(Martello Towers)Balbriggan,it looks to have been finished for about the last year or so...
    There has never been a show house,there is electricity in some of them and they are all empty.

Any idea about them?

The curiosoty os drovng me mad!

My only idea as to why this is at the moment is our water supply is dire really bad,shower is more or less unusable for washing hair, and you can not always flush the toilets cause there isn't enoough water and of course you run the risk of a wash not finishing every time you put it on,so maybe they are after us on the water supply chain and are affordable housing houses or some such and the council won't let them go on general sale.

Though still does not expalin why there has never been a show house unless there was but by appointment only and they didn't do one up specially?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

A friend of mine is living in that estate and he is also wondering about that. He said it might be some affordable housing??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Is this a brand new estate or just more Martello Towers houses?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

dubmick wrote:
    A friend of mine is living in that estate and he is also wondering about that. He said it might be some affordable housing??

I heard that rumour too..but still doesn't explain the problem.

Does your friend have water problems?

Bluetonic-
    Yes it is definately a new housing estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

The Property market has collapsed?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

MLM - You obviously dunno the extent of building and selling of houses in Balbriggan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Why not contact your council? Ask them?

oh, and let us know if you do find out anything :)

They aren't the best to deal with and prob wouldn't have a clue what I was on about.

Had a look in the windows of them at the wekeend.They look to be 2 and 3 bed houses.
    The 2 beds look tiny downstairs,they ahve a kitchen/dining room which is really small and no seperate sitting room.

The other ones which I am presuming are 3 bed appear to have a small kitchen/dining room and then a sitting room at the back of the house,which I haven't seen.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Is this a brand new estate or just more Martello Towers houses?
    Can anyone answer this?

For the record a housing development has been temporarily abandoned off The Naul road as the developer won't complete until the units have been sold.

How many new first time home owners (last few months) in Balbriggan will be soon finding themselves in negative equity territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Moonbeam wrote:
    There is a housing estate at the end of my road(Martello Towers)Balbriggan,it looks to have been finished for about the last year or so...
    There has never been a show house,there is electricity in some of them and they are all empty.

It could be to do with the fact that they're in the middle of Legoland (apologies to all residents) and it would be hard to explain to anyone how to get to them in order to sell them.

They're probably waiting for the Outer Relief road to be completed (shortly after hell freezes over) before selling them.

Apologies for the cynicism in the post, but with the lack of planning in the town it's not hard to see that an entire Housing Estate can go unnoticed for a full year.

yeah but all the other new houses/apts in lego land are selling no problem,and they are at the very back rather then middle;)

Why would a builder not sell them it doesn't make sense for them financially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

My cousin lives in that housing estate and there was a number of showhouses open about a year ago, i was in them with her. There are a lot of empty houses alright but also heard affordable housing mentioned, or else the builder just snapped up a load of them??

There couldn't have been showhouses open in there.

I would have noticed also none of them are furnished as a show house would be.
    There are also only 2 types of houses there.

I think your probably thinking of a different housing estate in lego land.

There are many!!

In one of the houses the builiders have a microwave and other stuff but otherwise it all looks abandoned.

I can't see how there would have been problems sellnig them when new houses and apts were still selling really well until a few months ago and maybe still are but I dunno what it is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Article on Page 16 of todays hearld about this housing estate.
    Didnt get to read it all but Fingal CO says that they are affordable housing waiting to be filled.

Thanks SGarvan,

Would love to know the story with them so going to try track down the paper:)

Couldn't find a copy of the paper but they do have a road sign now "Martello Park"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

Alll of these properties are registered to FCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

uh oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

MAYPOP wrote:
    uh oh

Why uh oh??

uh oh?

Is this due to them possibley being council houses?...I don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rooshter

On the same topic...

Does anyone know if it's still "all systems go" for the proposed residential development in Stephenstown?

I know that provision water, schools, transport and other trivial things ;) are more often than not overlooked by Fingal County Council, especially when it comes to Balbriggan. But you would think that the real powers that be, i.e. the developers, would finally be a bit wary about building all the way to Meath with the economic/property forecast these days.

It's definitely taking A LOT longer to sell houses these days and I don't know who is buying all these new apartments. It seems insane to continue expanding in all directions!!!??? :eek:

• Advertisement

Stephenstown is zoned industrial and science and technology.

There will be no residential development here, and to be honest aside from yourself I've never heard any talk of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

I know this is an old thread, but any idea what happened here? Was it a result of the property market collapsing? Have they been occupied now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: Frostybrew, this thread is extremely old and none of the contributors even post in this forum any more. I'm going to close it but feel free to start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement