Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting a line

Options
  • 27-03-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

i spend a lot of time down by the river either taking my dog out for a run etc. i wanted to set up a fishing line when i do be sitting down and relaxing. im not bothered with a rod or anything like that but i have reel and hooks and lead balls to fire the hook into the water, water i really need to know is what the best lure is to use? i have been using worms but they dont seem to be working

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

What do you intend to do with your catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

well if its a nice size trout i'l bring it home and clean it and cook it. if its small i'l put it back in. why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The only legal method of catching fish is by rod and line.

Youd be shot if you were seen doing that , no offence mate im just letting ya know.

stevoman wrote:
    well if its a nice size trout i'l bring it home and clean it and cook it. if its small i'l put it back in. why?
    So you will be using barbless hooks then and you know how to handle a fish you intend to return in a way that you wont condem it to a long and painfull death?:mad:

Stevoman
    I see your a shooting man also so i'm gonna try and give you a bit of advise. As has already been said the only legal method is rod and line. Main reason for this is to prevent people setting lines and leaving them unattended. Unattended lines mean deeply hooked fish that cant be returned alive and in my opinion would be as sporting as shooting a hen pheasant off the ground in june. If you want to catch a trout for your supper by all means go for it and i would highly recommend you do but its a great sport and the fish deserve our respect. You gotta ensure that under size fish can be caught and returned safely and quickly to fight another day. Go and get yourself a fly rod much better crack than sittin in a ditch on the off chance of an ould crow coming close enough for a shot.;)

• Advertisement

ok chuileog i didnt know that. thanks for the advice i get myself a rod this week if im going to be spending anymore time by the river. i wasnt aware of this. thanks for the advice! pleasently noted!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

get yourself a telescopic rod, nice and handy fits into a bag with your other gear:D

are these expensive or not that much to buy? i see lidl are doing a deal on fishing gear. i wonder if its good

Advertisement