Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thefts in Aungier St. Library

Options
  • 27-03-2007 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

There has been a spate of laptop thefts in Aungier St. library in the past week. Please make sure that you do not leave any valuables unattended for any length of time in any of the libraries.

Best of luck.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

trinity also, i know two in trinity and 3 in dit this has happened too, my mates wanna try set a trap with a lappy on them, could be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

ialertu and a macbookpro, try see them steal that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

What's ialertu?

I always thought it was a bit mad leavin a laptop unattended, but I have done it once or twice... closed the laptop, spread a load of papers over it... man, I'm lucky I'm still typing on it now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

one of my lecturer's projector was stolen in A116 in kevin a couple weeks back. whilst we were all in the lab too i might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

I wouldn't say it happens much in Kevin street do.I lost my Mp3 on two seperate occasions last year and it was was returned to me on both occasions ( Thank the lord for Chemical analylists and Bio-medical students)
    I would be surprised if Laptops were stolen from our libary too, that place seems very open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Cremo wrote:
    one of my lecturer's projector was stolen in A116 in kevin a couple weeks back. whilst we were all in the lab too i might add.

several projectors disappeard from labs and lecture rooms last year, as in the ones which are bolted to the ceiling! youll notice they all have security devices attached to them now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

is the place not full of cameras anyway? i know in kevin st library at least there are a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

j4vier wrote:
    is the place not full of cameras anyway? i know in kevin st library at least there are a few

But you have to remember the amount of people who og in and out of the library in a day. And without actual footage of them taking the laptop there is nothing you can do.

ye its not easy but just the other day in kevin st i saw a camera that had a good view of the whole room basically near the photocopy machines, so all you need to know is approximately at what time it happened.
    im not too sure how aungier st library works though., havent bein there in a while but generally they are always one step ahead than kevin st.
    plus i tought u needed to scan your student card to get in there, so tracing should be even easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

j4vier wrote:
    ye its not easy but just the other day in kevin st i saw a camera that had a good view of the whole room basically near the photocopy machines, so all you need to know is approximately at what time it happened.
    im not too sure how aungier st library works though., havent bein there in a while but generally they are always one step ahead than kevin st.
    plus i tought u needed to scan your student card to get in there, so tracing should be even easier.
    The Guards have been called in to look at CCTV footage.

• Advertisement

There were two more thefts today. A bag and an i-pod. Same guy as last week. Wandered around, waiting for the right moment, did a few laps and when he saw that there was nobody at the back wall he hit. Went through all the bags and jackets. The guy who had his bag stolen is doing his finals next week, and lost all his notes fro two subjects in it. They reckon he took it because it looked like a laptop cag.

They can trace the card but it wasnt him ie he was using someone elses card (someone from Bolton Street)

i was thinkin of bringin the laptop in tomorrow to do some work but at this stage i think i ll pass

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

j4vier wrote:
    i was thinkin of bringin the laptop in tomorrow to do some work but at this stage i think i ll pass
    or, you could bring it and look after it

na im sure on a saturday i ll manage to find a free pc :)

markk06 wrote:
    They can trace the card but it wasnt him ie he was using someone elses card (someone from Bolton Street)
    I was actually working on this last night and the guy we were tracing wasn't from Bolton Street.

Everything else you said is correct.

I heard he went to Bolton street and was from Wexford. And there was a chinese girl but that wasnt the person they were looking for.

markk06 wrote:
    I heard he went to Bolton street and was from Wexford. And there was a chinese girl but that wasnt the person they were looking for.
    Oh, I getcha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

j4vier wrote:

Ive never needed a student card to go into the kevin street library. You only need a student card to photocopy stuff and borrow a book, not to walk in the door and sit down.
    Overall, i think kevin street is far too open anyway. People are always coming in off the street to use the atm machine, and theres a homeless fella that can regurlarly be seen in the canteen on the ground floor. Ive seen him wander in through the side door and be served in the canteen. Hes definitily not a student or member of staff!

no i was talking about aungier st library.
    ye i ve seen the homeless guy around even in the pc room on the 3rd floor , dunno how he managed to log in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

maybe hes not homeless, might just have a research grant.

ialertu is a program for OSx and the Macbookpro which uses the tilt sensors in teh Harddrive to sound an alarm if the computer is interfered with when locked. It also takes a photograph using the Camera in the screen.

Tis dead handy, you can even set it to not display the warning screen so the machine just looks as if its idle on the desktop/application instead of actually being locked.
    Just register your information and it will also email you, or if your clever enough write a small script to have it text you when alarm is triggered.

Best thing to do is just get a MBP with Ialertu, arm the machine and leave the lappie alone with the speakers turned right up, as soon as the guy picks it up the alarm will sound (It's just like a car alarm) and everyone will be alerted.

He'd have to remove the lappie battery to disable the alarm so a little ductape and he will be ****ed.

Tbh, if yee were IT students yee should be well aware of using honeypots to catch people ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

Doodee wrote:
    maybe hes not homeless, might just have a research grant.

ialertu is a program for OSx and the Macbookpro which uses the tilt sensors in teh Harddrive to sound an alarm if the computer is interfered with when locked. It also takes a photograph using the Camera in the screen.

Tis dead handy, you can even set it to not display the warning screen so the machine just looks as if its idle on the desktop/application instead of actually being locked.
    Just register your information and it will also email you, or if your clever enough write a small script to have it text you when alarm is triggered.

Best thing to do is just get a MBP with Ialertu, arm the machine and leave the lappie alone with the speakers turned right up, as soon as the guy picks it up the alarm will sound (It's just like a car alarm) and everyone will be alerted.

He'd have to remove the lappie battery to disable the alarm so a little ductape and he will be ****ed.

Tbh, if yee were IT students yee should be well aware of using honeypots to catch people ;)

That's class lol. It would probably encourage me to try and get my laptop stolen though just so I could see if it works lol! :D

Advertisement