Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staunton walks away....

• 27-03-2007 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

No, not from his job.
    It may just be that he took his media adviser's advice to "keep it brief" a little too literally but Steve Staunton's decision to speak at yesterday's pitch-side briefing after training in Malahide for just 32 seconds before ignoring questions and walking away appeared to signal a deterioration in his already difficult relationship with the press pack.

The Republic of Ireland manager was due to provide an update on any injuries to his players after which it is standard procedure for him to take questions from journalists on matters relating to the squad's preparations.

However, when Staunton had finished telling reporters that Stephen Ireland had come through training well, suggested that Shay Given should be fit to face the Slovaks despite not training at all yesterday and jokily announced that he would not be discussing his approach to tomorrow night's game, he simply turned and walked back towards the team bus, leaving the assembled press corps a little baffled and bemused.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0327/breaking10.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

NEWS JUST IN....... This happened 24 hours so it's hardly breaking news, besides, I reckon everyone knows it at this stage.

Anyway, I think Stan is being very silly. At the end of the day the reporters are there to do a job and if Stan won't give them anything to report about with regards to team selection, tactics, etc. they'll just end up either making sh1t up or report on the fact that he won't talk to the press which will just galvanise the general consensus that he's out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I don't think he's trying to get one over on the press at all. I honestly think he doesn't have any strategies or tactics to discuss, that's why it only took 32 seconds.

grahamo wrote:
    I don't think he's trying to get one over on the press at all. I honestly think he doesn't have any strategies or tactics to discuss, that's why it only took 32 seconds.
    That may actually be the case but he really isn't do himself any favours. Surely he knows what type of reaction he'd get by only talking to them for 32 seconds. At this stage though it's a case of he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

the press have continuously twisted his words in the build up to every game so far, why should he talk to them?

as mourinho said, "you show me love, i show you love" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Listen,

We're half way through a qualifying campaign, its too late to change manager and the chances of us getting through are fairly slim.

Leave the man to do his job, lets see what results he gets in the remaining games and above all, lets get behind the team. I'm not entirely happy he is manager but I'm happy to call myself an Irish supporter.

Maybe if we all showed a little confidence for the upcoming games we might see an improvement.

And above all, dont listen to the media, theyre a bunch of &€%#wits

• Advertisement

VinnyL wrote:
    as mourinho said, "you show me love, i show you love" :D
    You're lucky you put that smiley in at the end!! Comparing Stan to Mourinho? :eek: ;)
    stooge wrote:
    Listen,

We're half way through a qualifying campaign, its too late to change manager and the chances of us getting through are fairly slim.

Leave the man to do his job, lets see what results he gets in the remaining games and above all, lets get behind the team. I'm not entirely happy he is manager but I'm happy to call myself an Irish supporter.

Maybe if we all showed a little confidence for the upcoming games we might see an improvement.

And above all, dont listen to the media, theyre a bunch of &€%#wits
    I support the Irish as much as anybody and I will be there tomorrow giving them all the support in the world. I also have a mind enough of my own not to be influenced by the press but do you really think that Stan can turn this around?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,338 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The speed he talks I'm amazed he managed to fit all that into a mere 32 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Rumours of Jose leaving Chelski must be true, he'll be taking over from Stan I'm sure of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

stooge wrote:
    Listen,

We're half way through a qualifying campaign, its too late to change manager and the chances of us getting through are fairly slim

how about we get rid of Staunton and bring in someone new who can prepare the team for the World Cup qualifiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Well tbh if I was Stan I would be hard pressed to give them even thirty seconds after what was written on Sunday.

I think a lot of it is just personal abuse rather than commenting on the team especially in the sh1t rags like the Sunday World.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone got a video of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Some gutter rag this morning had "STAN WALKS AWAY FROM THE NATION" or some similar shyte on the front page.

No, he didn't. He walked away from some journalists and one of them got annoyed that he was gonna actually have to write an article instead of just quoting Staunton. :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote:
    Some gutter rag this morning had "STAN WALKS AWAY FROM THE NATION" or some similar shyte on the front page.

No, he didn't. He walked away from some journalists and one of them got annoyed that he was gonna actually have to write an article instead of just quoting Staunton. :rolleyes:
    But that's the problem, if he doesn't talk to them and give them something to write they'll just go after him even more. If he's not happy the way they are treating him at least say it to them instead of presenting them with a rod for his back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Good on Stan, saw the 32 second interview and it was quite funny. Honestly I'd like if he was doing well, I don't think he's a bad guy, but probably shouldn't have got the job in the first place. He's not good at the interviews, always sounds like he's just stringing clichés together and not really saying much, so I honestly think it's better if he just keeps his mouth shut as much as possible and forget about pleasing the press.
    Would like to see him stay on till at least were definitely out of the running for qualifying so he gets a fair chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

BaZmO* wrote:
    But that's the problem, if he doesn't talk to them and give them something to write they'll just go after him even more. If he's not happy the way they are treating him at least say it to them instead of presenting them with a rod for his back.

No, the problem is some morons will look at the front page of some rag and say "Staunton's a disgrace" cos of what some hack wrote.

Staunton's position should be dependent on results and not on how he treats some of the scum that pass themselves off as journalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Zebra3 wrote:
    No, the problem is some morons will look at the front page of some rag and say "Staunton's a disgrace" cos of what some hack wrote.

Like anyone needs to read newspapers to know that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

This thread got my hopes up. :(

Cheers to the FAI for bringing us into an artificial transition period by hiring Stan! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

if Stan had a lick of sense after the slovakia match is over he should offer to do a number of one on ones with some of more prominent journalists in the country. hell, maybe a night on Pat Kenny or something high profile like that.... he should get a decent PR in, who'll be able to prepare him for the flak he'll have to deal with, and so he won't be caught out

at this rate he has nothing to lose... and it'd be far better to try get the media back on his side than make them even more against him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Why can't Bobby do the press bits? I know he is a bit sick but is that the only reason? Was he doing media before he fell ill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Why can't Bobby do the press bits? I know he is a bit sick but is that the only reason? Was he doing media before he fell ill?

Bobby's only a consultant or advisor. it's not his responsibility to talk the press really(at least not to the same extent as we would expect from staunton).

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote:

Staunton's position should be dependent on results and not on how he treats some of the scum that pass themselves off as journalists.
    So you're worried about what some "morons" think when they read something written by "scum"? hmmm... you really need to get out more.

Bobby's only a consultant or advisor. it's not his responsibility to talk the press really(at least not to the same extent as we would expect from staunton).
    Part of Bobby's brief was to deal with the press afaik but I think the FAI had a rethink after they sent him out to the baying press after the San Marino fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

maybe a night on Pat Kenny or something high profile like that
    Not a bad idea, there's a lot of stuff he could do in the PR department he just doesnt seem bothered. :rolleyes:

Advertisement