Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts Advice (Komplett)

Options
  • 27-03-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy the parts for a new build from Komplett & I guess with the way technology is moving, future proof is not really realistic, so?
    can any knowledgeable users recommend what would be best to get in order to be able to run Vista Ultimate comfortably?

These three items are of most confusion to me.

Mother Board?
    Processor (Intel or AMD?)
    Graphics Card?

-:confused:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pduffy50

I am looking to buy the parts for a new build from Komplett & I guess with the way technology is moving, future proof is not really realistic, so?
    can any knowledgeable users recommend what would be best to get in order to be able to run Vista Ultimate comfortably?

These three items are of most confusion to me.

Mother Board?
    Processor (Intel or AMD?)
    Graphics Card?

-:confused:

Whats your Price Range ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

pduffy50 wrote:
    Whats your Price Range ???

I hope to buy everything I need for the build from Komplett & am looking at 1000 - 1500 ish.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

€1000 - 1500 ish is a little too vague a price imo.
    What do you intend on using the machine for? Will you need a powerful processor and graphics card (around the €1500 mark)? Or will something a little more modest, but still very powerful suffice (around the 1000 mark)?
    Do you need a monitor?

Etc., etc.

Give as many details as you think you can. If people don't know your needs they can't really suggest how your money is best spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

IF its a full on gaming rig your going for then heres one , all it needs are a mouse and keyboard but il leave those up to you , IMO you should wait till april for the intel price drop and then if ya can wait for the r600 and the fully supported dx10 architecture

some overclockin will be needed on the e4300 but they go to 3.0ghz on stock cooling easy :D

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=448161&su=0F49DCA1-B1C8-403B-8BB0-83B91B5BBBE6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Would I be right in saying vista ultimate is the exact same as home premium with just the business features added or is it all together better?

Im building a gaming pc for €2050 and im only getting home premium I dont see a need for ultimate?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

ya you would be roight , your only loosing bit locker and other stuff youll never use , premium is grand it has everything you need and it half the price

Give as many details as you think you can. If people don't know your needs they can't really suggest how your money is best spent.

Basicly I'm looking for a new box only (No monitor, Keyboard or mouse required)

I'm looking for something that will be able to run Vista Ultimate or Premium comfortably.

I'm not really looking for a gaming machine, I'm more interested in Video transcoding & editing.
    one thing I do know is that when it comes to Video work you can never have enough RAM. It would be normal enough stuff after that like home network, Internet, general run of the mill stuff.

However, I still want it to be reasonably beefy when it comes to processing power & speed. I'm slightly confused as to which is better, Intel or AMD?

Some have suggested to me that I should go Intel for Video work & AMD for gaming but I thought that Euro for Euro you would get better value from AMD? That's why I'm asking for users here who can guide me so as I can get the best for my budget.

Parts would consist of:
    Case
    Power Supply
    MOBO
    Processor
    RAM (Maybe even 4GB)
    Graphics Card
    DVD Dual burner
    320 or 500GB HDD (Maybe X2 for use with Raid, am totally open to suggestions)
    Wireless Network card.

I know too that if I did go for 4GB RAM & 2 HDD's that I'd be talking somewhere in the region of 1500 to 2000 but that's adjustable to a point.

papu wrote:
    IF its a full on gaming rig your going for then heres one , all it needs are a mouse and keyboard but il leave those up to you , IMO you should wait till april for the intel price drop and then if ya can wait for the r600 and the fully supported dx10 architecture

some overclockin will be needed on the e4300 but they go to 3.0ghz on stock cooling easy :D

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=448161&su=0F49DCA1-B1C8-403B-8BB0-83B91B5BBBE6

Thanks for that papu, It's appreciated.

I like the idea of the Shoplist too, that's handy.:)

-

Just saw the latest offer from ALDI this Thr.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
    http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_132.html

If you slapped in another 1GB of RAM it might be a reasonable machine?

You can download the full Spec here:
    http://www.aldi.ie/images/data_product/98925609245f6c548a010e.pdf

To your first Q
    intel now at the moment are THE best the is nuthing compareable to the dual cores at the moment , the amd barcelona dual core is comming soon but then intel will drop the prices f the q6600 by 70%!!!!

to the aldi pc
    oh definitly it would be good , but the ram is only 533 vista eats ram 800 is faster , the e6400 is good, but the graphics aint up to much tbh but it would be a good be be a good buy

As for you shopping
    Parts would consist of:
    Case
    Power Supply
    MOBO
    Processor
    RAM (Maybe even 4GB)
    Graphics Card
    DVD Dual burner
    320 or 500GB HDD (Maybe X2 for use with Raid, am totally open to suggestions)
    Wireless Network card.

here

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=448201&su=A0E1FE73-8E55-413F-B653-F2F95420B32C

its just under 1600 it was 1500 but i forgot about vista so that pushed it up

It has 4 gigs of ram and 2X500 gig hdds a SWEET gfx an e6400 sound choice

imo try and get it without vat ;) it saves a Fortune!

• Advertisement

papu wrote:
    To your first Q
    intel now at the moment are THE best the is nuthing compareable to the dual cores at the moment , the amd barcelona dual core is comming soon but then intel will drop the prices f the q6600 by 70%!!!!

to the aldi pc
    oh definitly it would be good , but the ram is only 533 vista eats ram 800 is faster , the e6400 is good, but the graphics aint up to much tbh but it would be a good be be a good buy

As for you shopping

here

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=448201&su=A0E1FE73-8E55-413F-B653-F2F95420B32C

its just under 1600 it was 1500 but i forgot about vista so that pushed it up

It has 4 gigs of ram and 2X500 gig hdds a SWEET gfx an e6400 sound choice

imo try and get it without vat ;) it saves a Fortune!

Thanks for all your time and effort papu,
    I really value all the advice here.
    I'm itchy to get a new rig but there is absolutely no rush, I can easily wait to see if the price drop comes & the full dx10 support would be a bonus too I guess.

I have a better idea as to what's what now.
    It's so easy to overlook the finer details that you pointed out such as the RAM type & the Video card on the Aldi box, they are all fairly important after all :) These were the little pitfalls I came here to avoid, you know? nice add, nice price, and 2 months down the road I'd be out buying upgrade parts for it again.

Anyway, "Thanks again".

lol no probs i know exactly what ya feel like :D julys the month for me hehe

papu wrote:
    lol no probs i know exactly what ya feel like :D julys the month for me hehe

While I'm at it, you might be able to answer these questions for me too?

If I buy all the parts for a build as listed in the suggestions, do I get all the necessary bits such as cables, screws, standoffs & thermal paste or does all that stuff need to be purchased also?

If I Spec the parts but get Komplett to do the actual build, what kind of extra cost would be involved?

-

If I buy all the parts for a build as listed in the suggestions, do I get all the necessary bits such as cables, screws, standoffs & thermal paste or does all that stuff need to be purchased also?

yeah you get everything an a packet of biscuits , they throw in allot of extra cables and screws and stuff.
    If I Spec the parts but get Komplett to do the actual build, what kind of extra cost would be involved?

about this i wouldnt know im guessing close to a hundred?? but Dont quote me on that , Plus why would you want to opening all those packages is the best part its like fricken Christmas except all the pressies are AWESOME! :D

papu wrote:
    yeah you get everything an a packet of biscuits , they throw in allot of extra cables and screws and stuff.

about this i wouldnt know im guessing close to a hundred?? but Dont quote me on that , Plus why would you want to opening all those packages is the best part its like fricken Christmas except all the pressies are AWESOME! :D

I sure know what you mean about "opening all those packages is the best part".:D I would imagine too that the end result (all going well) would be very gratifying. I'm just thinking though about the problems one could encounter & the installation of the OS & drivers?? One or two of the reviews talked about issues with the RAM not being picked up correctly & another guy was on about having grief with the tool less option on the case for the graphics card, he ended up removing the clip & using screws. Then there's the time factor, I'm sure it would take the guts of a day to get it all done the way you want it.

There's is a bit of an argument for "It does what it says on the box" as in plug it in and away you go... too, but that's less gratifying a suppose?

The last thing I want is to go through all the effort only to find that it ain't working correctly or even have to RMA something back to them.:eek: & have to wait for god knows how long before I could finish.

I'll have to ponder that one a little more???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Its very satisfying building your own pc alright, its something I really enjoy doing but there can always be problems you just have to hope your lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

plonk wrote:
    Its very satisfying building your own pc alright, its something I really enjoy doing but there can always be problems you just have to hope your lucky.

In fairness if I was to have a problemless build it would bore the hell out of me, its those very problems that teach you how to build better computers. There is a learning curve to it also, you aren't just going to get all the components and boom you have a perfect pc, there are things you learn along the way, like a checklist of things to do BEFORE the motherboard gets screwed into the case (removable mobo trays are a godsend) also BIOS setup and reading up about how Windows is going to react to your hardware.

My advice, come back and ask again in May (the prices should have dropped, and the Q6700 and QX6800 will have been released along with the price cuts) also the next wave of DX10 cards will be out and will hopefully lower the price of the old ones.

For your needs i'd recommend 2x2Gigs of RAM and Vista 64bit (giving you the option to upgrade down the line to 8GB, you WON'T be able to go higher than 4GB with Vista 32bit) and a Quad core (Q6600?) for Video editing performance. You mightn't need a full blown 8800GTX, but a 8800GTS should do you fine. Even a 8600 might be good but i'll reserve my opinion until the benchs are released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 d_advocatus

Intel Core 2 Duo's beat AMD hands down in anything at the moment. Also, if you're not planning on overclocking then there is no point paying the extra premium on RAM faster than 533MHz. If you get any benifit, it'll be only a fraction and not worth the dosh. Only buy faster RAM unless you are going to overclock. If you are planning on overclocking then don't buy an Aldi, Dell, HP, etc PC.

Also, what video programs are you going to be using? Many programs still don't work with Vista. You will find much better stability with XP. I use programs like 3DS Max, Combustion, Pro Tools, Cubase, and none work with Vista properly, if at all.

For video editing and encoding the processor is infinately more important than the graphics card. You'll still want something worthwhile but a lower-mid card should do ya. Spend the extra cash on the CPU and RAM.

Intel Core 2 Duo's beat AMD hands down in anything at the moment. For video editing and encoding the processor is infinately more important than the graphics card. You'll still want something worthwhile but a lower-mid card should do ya. Spend the extra cash on the CPU and RAM.

Hi d_advocatus,

What would you recommend from the Komplett range for the Mobo & processor?

-

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

E6600 and Gigabyte DS-3, can be bought from dabs.ie for €410

• Advertisement
Advertisement