Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney - Lingering smell

Options
  • 27-03-2007 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has got the answer!!

I live in a detached dormer bungalow on large site with houses either side of me. It is a relatively new house - 8 yrs. old. The sitting room is only used periodically, as in I would only light a fire there maybe half a dozen times in the year. Last May I had the chimney cleaned out and since then I guess maybe 5 or 6 times I have lit a fire there. Two weeks ago I lit a fire - a few briquettes - just to AIR the chimney! Saying that, I used briquettes that were fairly weather beaten - outdoors for too long! but I found the following, day - not while the fire was lighting - that it left a turf/briquette smell around the room and while it has disapated somewhat, I can still get the whiff. I didn't monitor the fire as I was in the other room but certainly, no smoke came into the room at any stage. Just wondering was it from using damp briquettes? or have I a problem, like maybe a nest in the chimney or what?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's common for the draught to be reversed in a chimney that isn't used all that often. But usually once a fire has acheived any reasonable heat the draught usually turns back the right way. It could also be the wind - it can blow smoke down the chimney in short bursts sometimes. That 'turfy' smell can linger as it clings to fabrics etc.

You can check the direction of the draught before you light the fire by simply striking a match and watching which way the wisp of smoke blows.

More info here. 6th item down the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

To Crosstownk - Thanks for that advice. I think you are right about fabrics picking up the smells. I used Febreeze on the 3-piece suite and rug and curtains and it seems to have made a difference this morning. I would presume that if I lit a GOOD HOT fire, it would also get rid of probably, some condensation, which is there through lack of use. I think I will try that soon.

Thanks

Advertisement