Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chipper or Chinese?

• 27-03-2007 3:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Whether you've spent the day on a high stool or the evening at home guzzling cans,we all know real men dont cook.So when the belly demands a lining,which is it to be Brothers?
    If i'm buying from a chinese my dish of choice would be BBQ spare ribs,spring roll and fried soft noodles.
    If its a chipper,i tend to favour the Dinner Box,usually three peices of southern fried chicken with chips.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Usually the chipper for me. Although I am quite partial to an Indian. Although if I'm sloshed it could be anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Tis a Durum Doner for me :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Chipper all the way, snack box or dinner box depending on hunger level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

GalwayLAN Special: Chips, curry, cheese, chilisauce, kebab meat, garlic. Perhaps with some coleslaw for decoration.
    Served in the lung of an aquatic mammal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

why limit yourselves Brothers ?

last night I had spare ribs from the chinese takeaway, with chicken balls on the side, complemented by chips and a spice burger from the chipper ... washed down with some golden nectar left over from christmas ... think it was Miller.

my point is, if you are blessed enough to live within lurching distance of both a chinese takeway and a chipper, you should be obliged to mix and match from both menus.

i myself live within a mile of a chipper, 2 chinese take aways, 2 pizzerias, 2 pubs, off-licence and 2 churches ... all the basic spiritual and corporeal needs catered for.

It seems to be a universal truth that chinese takeaways have brutal chips ... which is OK, as most chippers have terrible fried rice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Well said Brother trout. Variety is a good thing, so long as it doesn't stray into territories like these new 'healthy eating' establishments.

As long as it's dripping in Grease and is contains some sort of meat then it passes my test.
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Kazooie wrote:
    As long as it's dripping in Grease and is contains some sort of meat then it passes my test.
    :D:D

like a gay mans underpants so :p

and no I'm not homophobic, i like my house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

:D
    Do gays **** grease?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Maybe trap one while it's hiding the magic pot o' poppers and question it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Gotta be the chinese for myself but at 3 inthe morning brothers nothin beats a drity kebab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I think it is time to salute our Celtic cousins in Scotland. Deep fried mars bars with a generous helping of haggis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Brother trout, house prices around your area must be huge with such facilities close by......you sir are hardcore!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

trout wrote:

last night I had spare ribs from the chinese takeaway, with chicken balls on the side, complemented by chips and a spice burger from the chipper ... washed down with some golden nectar left over from christmas ... think it was Miller.

my point is, if you are blessed enough to live within lurching distance of both a chinese takeway and a chipper, you should be obliged to mix and match from both menus.

You sir are not only a man of girth, you are a shining example to us all.

*Salutes the Trout*

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What about the noble art of the Man barbeque?
    Anyone else ever like to fire up the ole home burner, get some of dem good butcher burgers from the back of your freezer, a couple of steaks, few corns on the cob, some spare ribs? Its how man was supposed to make food.
    Stick something bleeding in something on fire. Wait for a little while.
    Eat. Repeat.

Exactly, you're not a true man unless you've eaten meat while poking a fire with a stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Chinese for me, some tasty orange chicken with fried rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Beef and black bean for the chinese.

Battered Sauasges fot the chipper. I may, on ocassion, ammend this to a pastie bap if I'm in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Chinky: Chicken Curry with chips (instead of rice) and a portion of noodles.

Chipper: Chips with batter sausage, 1/4 pouner with cheese, tub of garlic sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Szechuan Beef and fried rice, maybe spring rolls too.

Chipper Chips drowned in chipper vinegar.

Two Spice burgers for dessert.

seansouth wrote:
    Szechuan Beef and fried rice, maybe spring rolls too.

Chipper Chips drowned in chipper vinegar.

Two Spice burgers for dessert.

Good work Brother! That's what I'm talkin' about ... make the menus work for you :)

Excellent dessert choice btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

First post in these hallowed grounds.

I fear people may be underestimating the power of a good indian take-away.

Some onion bhajis, then a chicken tikka madras, jhalfrezi can be nice too. Have it with rice and a garlic naan, perhaps a stuffed paratha as well. It's heavy on bread for extra soakage, tastes phenomenal and compliments the Cobra or Kingfisher I would accompany it with. Fuck, i'm gettin an indian on my way home.

Incedently, I feel truly at home in this forum, I share an office, and I've been asked why I've been laughing for the last hour!

Mmmmm .... Peshwari Nan FTW!

If i lived within lurching distance of an Indian takeaway, my life would be complete :rolleyes: ... and as an added bonus ... i find Indian meals are great for generating extra-ordinary volumes of flatulence *prrrrrrrrps*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

trout wrote:
    It seems to be a universal truth that chinese takeaways have brutal chips
    Not brutal, just different.
    Not so much a drunken type of chip though has been known to be quite tasty when accompanied by lashings and lashings of curry sauce.
    Them lads know their curry sauce.

stovelid wrote:
    Beef and black bean for the chinese.

Battered Sauasges fot the chipper.

And you were so close!
    Ye cant have a battered sausage and chips without a spice burger!!

(as an aside, whats the story with chippers serving these pasty little weiner battered sausages instead of the regular, reassuring buffalo dong style?)

Not my local, they're longer than the rulers you used in school. (more commonly known as a foot I supose)

Me too, but I got stung in Carfolas (Baggot St/Mespil Road before it closed) when I opened the bag to find this little half covered weiner looking at me.
    That chipper that used to be at the green end of Leeson St was the same.
    Funny how they have all closed down now...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Brothers sit back and hear what i am about to tell you about

My local is about 3 minutes walk .... normally take longer to get home for some reason :p ???

Has pool tables and dart boards,

Around the corner is the piece a la resistance

A take away establishment with 3 menus

Chinese
    Pizza
    Chipper

And may i introduce you to a new invention I created inspired by there menu's

The Chicken ball kebab

Its magic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mogsy

first post on this board,BIG chipper fan(have contributed a signifigant portion of income to the local italian community) battered burger in a bread bun with mayo ketchup lettuce and onion would be my banker from chipper,and when the oppurtunity presents itself battered mars bars from the sea shell on townsend street with ice cream to complete the feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Depends on when I last ate.

Garlic chips with cheese, and maybe a cheese quater-pounder...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im with you brother, a nice tikka masala or a bhoona goes down very nicely with some pakora and keema naan

Bazzy wrote:
    ..And may i introduce you to a new invention I created inspired by there menu's

The Chicken ball kebab

Its magic!

Hmmm.... Speak on brother you interest me strangely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Large Curry Chips & a Snack Box with a breast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Hmmm.... Speak on brother you interest me strangely :)

Pitta bread toasted , Chilli sauce and loads of it small amount of garlic on the chicken balls that are cut in half inside MMM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

trout wrote:

i myself live within a mile of a chipper, 2 chinese take aways, 2 pizzerias, 2 pubs, off-licence and 2 churches ... all the basic spiritual and corporeal needs catered for.

It seems to be a universal truth that chinese takeaways have brutal chips ... which is OK, as most chippers have terrible fried rice :)

You still have beer left over from xmas in march?

I smell a ban.

Bazzy wrote:
    Pitta bread toasted , Chilli sauce and loads of it small amount of garlic on the chicken balls that are cut in half inside MMM

Ahh ! *adds to the ever growing list*

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    You still have beer left over from xmas in march?

I smell a ban.

Belay that ban-hammer Brother ... I should explain this beer was left over in my sisters house, and I only bothered to repatriate it last week... prior to this, I simply wasn't arsed to take it, and i had no shortage of fallin' down water in my own house.

For shame Brother, for shame! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

When I lived in Ireland the chipper was my favourite for a quick meal, however most chippers in Cambridge are crap (be warned brothers!).

So from an Irish Chipper, it would have to be the half-pounder with Chips and a can of Coke :)

I have take to Indian food over here. Chicken Biryani with a cold Cobra beer :)

If I have Chinese, it is Chicken with Cashew nuts and fried rice
    or
    Crispy shredded beef with fried rice

Delicious Brothers, great thread too *tummy rumbles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I had this dilemma last night! Chipper or Chinese..... So I weighed up my options. There's a very decent Chinese about a 2 minutes drive further away from the Chipper, but as my belly was roaring with the hunger, I got myself 2 battered sausages (for the journey home) and a single of chips. Then cooked up 2 fried eggs when I got home and cover my chips.....Yumm!!!

flanzer wrote:
    Then cooked
    Brother, have you no woman to do that for you?

seansouth wrote:
    Brother, have you no woman to do that for you?

I do indeed, but I'm afraid she might sneak some Olive oil or some Low-Fat butter on the frying pan! Wouldn't enjoy dinner if I knew that......

• Advertisement

Why would such items even be in your abode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

r3nu4l wrote:
    When I lived in Ireland the chipper was my favourite for a quick meal, however most chippers in Cambridge are crap (be warned brothers!).

Starter;
    Half-pounder with Chips and a can of Coke :)

Followed by;
    Chicken Biryani with a cold Cobra beer :)
    And;
    Chicken with Cashew nuts and fried rice
    With;
    Crispy shredded beef with fried rice

Delicious Brothers, great thread too *tummy rumbles*

Brother r3nu4l, I think this is what you meant.

seansouth wrote:
    Why would such items even be in your abode?

She has to stay healthy and look her best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Has got to be Chinese for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In order of preference:
    1. Dinner Box, Batter Burger & Curry Sauce.
    2. Starter of Shredded Chicken with Salt & Chilli, then Beef Curry, Fried Rice & Prawn Crackers.
    3. Doner Kebab & Chips
    4. Quarter Pounder with Cheese & Bacon & Chips

Advertisement