Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I find a session in Dub

Options
  • 27-03-2007 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm a long-time guitar player, short-time trad player but want to get more into it so am looking for a non intimidating trad session that would have me.

Cheers in advance, and i'm open to any general tips about gettin into trad guitar, shabadahay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Here's a list of active sessions in dublin, I would recommended checking out the Cobblestone, but that is a very highstandard session.
    http://www.thesession.org/sessions/index.php/search?country_id=75&areaname=Dublin&town=&day=Any&search=Search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sirduffalotus

banjopaul wrote:
    Here's a list of active sessions in dublin, I would recommended checking out the Cobblestone, but that is a very highstandard session.
    http://www.thesession.org/sessions/index.php/search?country_id=75&areaname=Dublin&town=&day=Any&search=Search

Cheers Banjopaul, just checked out that link you sent me, brilliant, the Cobblestone has a beginners session every mon, might stall down to that. Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

The Brazen Head
    Lower Bridge Street, Dublin 8
    Late Bar with Live Trad Music
    thebrazenhead.html

Chief O Neills
    Smithfield, Dublin 7
    Casual w/ Live Trad Music
    chiefoneills.html

Clifton Court - Lannigans
    O Connell Bridge, Eden Quay, Dublin 1
    Casual with Live Trad Music
    cliftoncourt.html

Darkey Kellys
    Fishamble Street, Dublin 2
    darkeykellys.html

O Donoghues
    Merrion Row, Dublin 2
    odonoghues.html

O Reilly Bros The Chancery Inn
    Inns Quay, Dublin 1
    oreillybros.html

O Sheas
    Gardiner Street Lower, Dublin 1
    osheas.html

O Sheas Merchant
    Bridge Street Lower, Dublin 8
    osheasmerchant.html

The Palace Bar
    Fleet Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
    palacebar.html

The Parnell Mooney
    Parnell Street, Dublin 1
    Casual with Trad Music
    theparnellmooney.html

Pollyhops
    Lucan Road, Newcastle, Co.Dublin
    pollyhops.html

The Porterhouse
    Parliament Street Temple Bar, Dublin 2
    theporterhouse.html

Sean Dohertys
    Edmondstown Road, Rockbrook, Co.Dublin
    seandohertys.html

Smyths Lounge
    New Street, Malahide, Co. Dublin
    smythslounge.html

Taylors Three Rock
    Grange Road, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16
    taylorsthreerock.html

The Temple Bar
    Temple Bar, Dublin 2
    thetemplebar.html

Courtesy of: www.dublinpubscene.com - search for trad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Drop down to Darkey Kelly's on Fishamble St. any Saturday or Sunday afternoon from 5pm onwards, the guys are great and will only be too glad to let you in so they can grab a pint or a quick smoke!.

Seriously, its a grand sesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thelizardqueen

If you live anywhere near Phibsborough there's a nice session in The Hut there on Wednesday nights, very friendly too. Also try The Bridge Inn in Chapelizod every Friday.
    cheerio
    Cathy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are a few next week in Skerries -

http://www.skerriestraditionalmusic.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Ahernes on the Old Bawn road in Tallaght have a session every tuesday night. I think all are welcome to come and play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sunny25

Aherns dont go if you value your life its dog rough!!!

Thats weird I've drunk in this pub for 20 odd years and never in any incident there, The place is no great shakes but its not rough, also with the smoking ban its empty most evenings so thats why they have a trad session on a tuesday to try and entice trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sunny25

Was only there once and once was enough the police were called there was a huge fight and my friend had her bagged robbed all in the space of about 3 hours!!! So its defo not on my list of reccommendations

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Sunny, however I was in the porterhouse a month ago on a company outing, the police came as there was a fight too and my colleague got her handbag pinched too. Ahernes certainly has had its moments in the past as any pub but I would think that your experience was a once off. We are really quite sweet in Old Bawn. Again sorry to hear about that trouble

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ah, everywhere has its moments like that. Tallaght is a good place to find some trad, my freind used to go to that session, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Madra_Rua

I play a lot in O'Donoghues. Tuesday can be very good, especially if it's not too noisy. Sunday afternoon/evenings with Joe Foley and his gang can be great craic too.
    A nice session on Monday nights is in the snug of Hughes's behind the Four Courts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

If you live anywhere near Phibsborough there's a nice session in The Hut there on Wednesday nights, very friendly too.

Does anyone know does this still go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mariatchi

Hi ye ,if you're free around 3pm tomorrow (monday & every monday)drop in to the Lansdown bar Bath ave., you'll be welcome to join in with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thelizardqueen

The session still happens every wednesday in Phibsborough, but we've moved to a different pub, down the road in Hedigan's (The Brian Boru). 9.30 til close every wednesday. New players always welcome. Hope to see ya soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

The session still happens every wednesday in Phibsborough, but we've moved to a different pub, down the road in Hedigan's (The Brian Boru). 9.30 til close every wednesday. New players always welcome. Hope to see ya soon.

Deadly, I might call in for an auld listen first. Not sure if I have the cajones to join in a session unless it's to sing a song maybe.

Advertisement