Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazine capacity

Options
  • 27-03-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Fellow shooters
    I have a query, is there a Magazine capacity limit for B/A rimfire rifles?
    I am asking as I have ordered a 10rd magazine for my Anschutz, there was a 5rd version available a well but I preferred the larger capacity when using it on rabbits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

no limit

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Nope. No limit for any firearm (yet:( )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I was gonna order a 10 round mag for my rifle and put only 5 rounds into it.

The Spring is kinda strong in the 5 round one and the magazine it too tight
    for the rifle. The things can be pricey enough for what they are.
    5 rounds in a 10 round mag may give a better feeding consistancy
    with regards to the amount of pressure under the round. Proabably
    makes no difference to shooting but it would make me feel a bit better
    Id like to be extra careful when the tips of the round I use are plastic.

Not sure if you can order online withough showing proof of a licence etc
    as I have not gone looking.

One of the guys at the range let me fire his Anschutz a few weeks back.
    He had a singe feeder insert instead of a magazine. it was great.
    I never knew that you did not have to feed the round all the way into the chamber
    you could just pop the round in (I saw this guy just lob the round in) and
    chamber it. Yummy!

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Not sure if you can order online withough showing proof of a licence etc
    as I have not gone looking.

Work away,mags are considerd not critical firearm parts,almost anywhere in the world and require no liscensing paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Mag was waiting for me when I got home :)
    One thing I find when ordering online is the US ships here faster then the UK, 5 days from payment to delivery.
    Thanks to all who responded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

CJhaughey wrote:
    One thing I find when ordering online is the US ships here faster then the UK, 5 days from payment to delivery.

What site did your order from (and did they do mags from other brands)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

There is a limit of three cartridges on shotgun magazine capacity.

Wildlife Act 1976, Section 33, states:

33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—

( a ) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,
    ( b ) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Op was asking about a b/a rimmie which there currently is not restriction

What you've pointed out that for a shotie used for shooting game there is a 3 shot limit but for vermin shooting and possibily target(clays) there is no limit.

Edit

@bullets CZ dont offer a 10shot magazine for their magnum rimfire rifles.

If you are thinking of ordering a new mag dont get the plastic ones the metal are much better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bullets wrote:
    What site did your order from (and did they do mags from other brands)

~B
    Ebay
    They have anything that you could want on the US site.
    I also looked at Egun.de but my lack of deutsch and unfamilarity with their system meant that I was unsuccessful in bidding for a mag.

Nope. No limit for any firearm (yet:( )

The reply to a 3 shot limit on shotguns was in response to above post.

The act does not state that the limit to 3 shots is strictly for game shooting - it applies to all wild birds, which surely includes vermin species.

Wildlife Act 1976, Section 33, states:

33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—

( a ) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,
    ( b ) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.

• Advertisement

Nope,it does NOT apply to vermin!Or feral breeds.

Nope,it does NOT apply to vermin!Or feral breeds.

Hi,

Can you let me know how you can say it doesn't apply to vermin? I can't find it anywhere in the legislation.

The wildlife act states that one cannot shoot protected birds with a rifle i.e. vermin species can be shot but it does not state protected birds for the 3 shot shotgun limit - it states any bird, which, in my opinion, means all birds.

I have asked shooters on a few occasions about this and they have stated, as you did, that the limit applies to game only but when asked how they know they cannot reply.Usual reply is 'heard it somewhere ' etc.

The reason I am questioning the matter is a friend and I were stopped by a Garda in Kerry, a few years ago, on returning to the car from land (which we had permission for) after doing some rabbit shooting. He was curious as to what we were up to and on noticing the semi immediately queried if it was plugged to limit the capacity to three shots. He seemed to be knowledgeable on the firearm in question. He wished to see the plug which I duly removed and displayed. (quite a quick & easy task on the model in question)

He was content with this and we duly departed.

Simple,it is the grey terminology used in the act.As the act is dealing with the Wildlife act and by that implication gamebird /animal species.It does not specify vermin species as being under the acts protection or mentions them.
    So what isnt mentioned is allowed.It's semantic legalspeak.
    Also,your Garda was out of his depth on two points; [1] you were rabbit shooting,not an animal coverd by the wildlife act. [2] the act states that the weapon must be permantly modified to only accept 3 shots.Plugs wont cut it under that,as they are tempoary devices.

Simple,it is the grey terminology used in the act.As the act is dealing with the Wildlife act and by that implication gamebird /animal species.It does not specify vermin species as being under the acts protection or mentions them.
    So what isnt mentioned is allowed.It's semantic legalspeak.

I can see where you are coming from but the area that places doubt in my mind is that vermin species are mentioned in the act (although not classed as protected) and are referred to as wild birds - the same terminology used in secton 33 prohibiting the hunting of wild birds with a magazine capacity greater than three shots.

It states that they are excluded from sections 19 & 22 but it does not state that they are excluded from section 33.

WILDLIFE ACT, 1976

THIRD SCHEDULE

SPECIES OF WILD BIRDS EXCLUDED (SUBJECT TO SECTION 22 (2)) FROM SECTIONS 19 AND 22

Bullfinch
    Carrion Crow
    Greater Black-backed Gull
    Herring Gull
    Hooded (Grey) Crow
    House Sparrow
    Jackdaw
    Jay
    Lesser Black-backed Gull
    Magpie
    Pigeons, including Wood Pigeon, but not including carrier pigeons, racing horning pigeons or doves
    Rook
    Starling

Sections 22 and 23.

WILDLIFE (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2000

No amendments to the THIRD SCHEDULE

Advertisement