Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asus p5b deluxe help urgent

Options
  • 27-03-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

basically finished buiding my new pc today and when i turned it on the blue led at the bottom of the board turned on and when i pressed the power button the led only flashed red for a second and only the fans spun for a second and the cathode light i have hooked up flashed on. I have checked all the connections and evrything seemd fine and the power supply definitely works cause i jumped it to test the fans and leak test the water cooling system. have no idea what the problem is but i'm freaking out about it cause i really don't want to have to send this thing back. My system is as follows

intel core 2 duo E6600
    2 gb A data viesta 1000+ ram
    8800gts evga
    wd raptor 150gb
    seasonc 600 m12

if anybody has any idea what is wrong please let me know cause i really need the help

thanks
    requ13m:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

clear the cmos for a start it , the bios might have a bit of trouble with the Core two , if ya have an old P4 or somthing stick that in and see if that works ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Also remove any PCI cards and SATA/IDE connections to the mobo and try powering on as well just to see.

You could try connecting a cooler to the CPU fan header as another avenue.

Power connections are all correct yes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

yeah all the power connections are good the only thing i've noticed reading about this is that people have had trouble with their power supplies and when i jump mine it'll start the fans and the pump but i thought it might not be able to take the load of the whole computer. would it have to do with the memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

would it have to do with the memory?

i wouldnt think so

its a strange thing indeed , the only thing left to do is test everything individually? start with the psu ?

this just keeps getting worse i tested the motherboard with a different psu and the same thing happened, i was really relying on it being the psu that was cuasing the problem. I individually tested the hard drives and nothing wrong there either. I'm concerned it could be the graphics card but i tested that in my own rig before the build and it worked fine. But since then i put a water cooling block on it but could something have happened to it when doing that?
    My concern is that nothing is starting i'm just getting the fans to spin for a second so could it be safe to say that the board is basically shorting the system or could it be the graphics card?
    Cause my friend thinks that the board and the fans and everything will start even if the card is faulty and that the board will just beep if the motherboard can't detect a graphics card or thinks its faulty would that be right?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

this happened me with my pc a while ago.
    turned out it was a faulty graphics card (PCI). replaced the card and it worked fine. (the card is currently working happily in a friends pc by the way)

I have since seen it caused by a stick of ram that was working perfectly fine previously.

as suggested: remove everything that can be removed from the motherboard , the start booting with the minimum possible. if that works, shut down and change out the components for a different set. repeat until it fails and you'll have the cuplrit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

LoLth wrote:
    as suggested: remove everything that can be removed from the motherboard , the start booting with the minimum possible. if that works, shut down and change out the components for a different set. repeat until it fails and you'll have the cuplrit.

Sound advice.

tried that but seems to be the motherboard i was talking to the guys at overclockers.co.uk where i bought it and they told me that given the motherboard, i should still get the led to turn from blue to red but it will beep if they are not detected, thanks for the advice i'll get back to you about t when i find out whats going wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 d_advocatus

Remove everything from the case and put on a wooden surface. Put in the CPU and put on the cooler. Put in one stick of RAM and put in your gfx card. Connect the PSU and use a screwdriver to short the power pins. If it boots then you know it's either a component or the case is shorting it. Add a component one at a time and booting. If at any time it fails to boot then you know that the problem is the last component you fitted.

IIRC the P5B-DLX doesn't have a system speaker on board so you won't hear POST beeps. You can pick one up in Maplin.

If it doesn't boot then try swapping the RAM sticks. Also, as somebody has suggested already, have you cleared CMOS?

use a screwdriver to short the power pins.

IIRC the P5B-DLX doesn't have a system speaker on board so you won't hear POST beeps. You can pick one up in Maplin.

If it doesn't boot then try swapping the RAM sticks. Also, as somebody has suggested already, have you cleared CMOS?

what do you mean use a screwdriver to short the power pins?

it does beep when i remove certain components

tried swapping the ram sticks and then just did one at a time and then used different ram sticks and it did nothing. I cleared the cmos and it did nothing. i'm going to send the board back and get a new one and then i'll test everything again and pray that the motherboard is the problem:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement