Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 with A8 Style alloys

Options
  • 27-03-2007 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 2004 Audi A6 (old body) with stock 205/55/R16 alloys. I am thinking of fitting 12 spoke Audi A8 style alloys (see pic). Only problem is the size. Don't know whether to go for a 215/45/R17 with 17" alloys or 225/40/R18 with the 18" alloys. Could even go with 225/45/R17??

I have read some posts about ride comfort and road noise & so would like something that would give reasonable comfort and noise levels, yet complement the car. 18" may be too low profile for me?

I don't want the alloy's looking lost within the wheel arch though, as I think the stock ones are at the moment.

Thoughts, recommendations.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

personally i wouldnt go with theese rims, i just dont care for them much but thats just an opinion, the thing i would most look at is are they likley to collect a lot of brake dust ? again just in my experience ive found that "spoked" alloys tend to gather far more dust than others and therefore end up appearing dirty a lot more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

They probably collect just the same amount of dust but are harder to clean. I have A8s and have to clean them with a tooth brush to make sure I do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Big Dec wrote:
    I have read some posts about ride comfort and road noise & so would like something that would give reasonable comfort and noise levels, yet complement the car. 18" may be too low profile for me?

I don't want the alloy's looking lost within the wheel arch though, as I think the stock ones are at the moment.

Thoughts, recommendations.....
    Increasing the wheel size will invariably make the car less comfortable and make wheel & tyre damage more likely. I'd stick with high quality tyres on 16"s, but that's because I drive hard and don't particularly care what my wheels look like. At the end of the day, it's down to how much you are prepared to compromise ability for appearance.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

They are nice looking wheels

I'd go for 17" ones and get 225/45/17 tyres, that way your speedo will only be out by 0.4% and the overall diameter of the wheel/tyres will remain almost the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Personally I wouldnt touch them, they look bad on anything but a new type A6 or A8, RS6 type wheels would look better or a nice BBS wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

I have seen these wheels on many a VAG car and i think they look really good, particularly the 18's. Go for the 18's i say, there wont be much of a difference in the ride quality over the 17's and they look far better especially on a big motor like the A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I have volvo with 17" and just had the alloys repaired from 1 minor and 1 serious pothole I am starting to think 16"s would be a god idea but thats life in the north west dodging potholes:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

personally i dont like the a8 rims on anything but an a8, the reps are cheap looking and also will look terrible as 17s, def need to be 18s

get 18" rs6 reps, they would look well

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ZygOte wrote:
    personally i wouldnt go with theese rims, i just dont care for them much but thats just an opinion, the thing i would most look at is are they likley to collect a lot of brake dust ? again just in my experience ive found that "spoked" alloys tend to gather far more dust than others and therefore end up appearing dirty a lot more often.

Using non-OEM brake pads like Green Stuff would probably help reduce the amount of dust.

@Big Dec, I put 18"s on my car, and definitely noticed the difference in the ride. However, I also had the car lowered with Eibach Pro springs, and while it improved the handling, it didn't make it too rough. The handling was certainly better. Perhaps 17" rims and lowering springs may be a good compromise.

Advertisement