Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloy wheel nuts

Options
  • 27-03-2007 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

hey i bought a car there with alloys on it but i cant find the key for the lock nut on it which basically means that if i have a puncture i cannot change the wheel
    was a private sale and yer man just text back sayin he doesnt know where it is, and that it should be in the car (which i really dont think it is, checked everywhere)

any1 know if u can get quick fit to give me a new key, i heard all alloy keys are unique.. im ****ED if i cant sort sumthin! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

There not 100% unique.
    What type of car is it? Year? Are they the original alloys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

hey its a 97 civic, not original

took these pics at lunch
    hopefully i can get some more info on gettin this sorted, heads wrecked
    nice 1!

dscf0003jm2.jpg

dscf0004lr1.jpg

dscf0002bf1.jpg

dscf0001db7.jpg

nobody got any ideas then no?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

some tyre place might be able to do it or if your a bit handy your self get a wheel brace or a socket that is slightly a bit small and hammer it on take off the wheel nut and replace it aldi has a 17and 19 inch socket and power bar for 4.99 if you get one of them and try it all you would need is the hammer and a big screwdriver the hammer to make the socket fit and the screwdriver for when you get it off to get the nut out of the socket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You'll probably have to get these machined off. Talk to a couple of tyre fitters as to how this can be done. Failing that ask the previous owner where he bought the wheel locks (& the wheels most likely) from there you could talk to the supplier as to the possibility of getting a replacement "key".

Is that a Honda?
    They are probably not Honda lock nuts, most likely aftermarket ones, seeing as the wheel as are non-OEM wheels too. Each manufacturer has their own design/stlye of lock nut, e.g. BMW have at least 3 different methods, including one witan actual key like you have on a padlock, the others have adapters. Then of course there are various after market wheel lock companies making them. This is why I suggest you track down the origianl purchase place, a better chance of tracking down the right manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Look kinda like the ones on my car. Chances are he bought them locally so go to your local auto store and look for the same type of one. Mine were called Type x or something. Ask shop guy to see if it'll fit. If it does then you can buy they for about €30.

Failing that a tyre place can usually get them off.

Edit - I assumed that any ones you buy in the store are all the same, hope they are for your sake! Didn't think they'd be unique due to production costs.

thanks for info ppl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

if those are the standard type lock nuts that usually come with a set of alloys, there are about 6 or so different types. they usually have a number on the inside of the adapter. try any your friends may have before u go any further, u may be lucky enough.
    failing that you can either use the hammer and socket as suggested or get one of the universal sockets that have pins to take up the shape of the nut. for the life of me i cant remember the trade name right now.
    failing that just bring it to a tyre fitting place and they will do it for you, obviously for a charge, and if you are buying the new nuts elsewhere, dont forget to bring them along or else 4 spare standard nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

get one of the universal sockets that have pins to take up the shape of the nut. for the life of me i cant remember the trade name right now.

Gator grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

thats the one!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No no. You're saying it wrong. It's Gaaaaaator grip. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

....but wait, there's more! you also get a very cheap blow moulded case with loads of low quality tools that break unless you're very gentle with them. Call now and you also get this multichopper 3000. It slices, it dices, it's the only kitchen utensil you'll ever need.....

Advertisement