Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Couldn't I Topic A Thread All Caps?

Options
  • 27-03-2007 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I was trying just there to topic a thread BTEA and it kept coming out like Btea and even when I put in B.T.E.A it came out B.t.e.a? This was in the Edu/Mature Students forum by the way.

Also, how do I view who voted what on a poll that's public? Everyone else seems to be able to view the results and I know it's public because it's meh poll!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I assume the upper case thing is a vBulletin software option to prevent 'shouting' thread titles so to speak.

You can view the users who voted on your poll by clicking on one of the numbers (e.g click the number 16 who voted for Pink in the Pink or Brown poll)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Though polls can be set up to be anonymous and just show the tallies, in which case that won't work.

Yes, the capital letter thing is annoying when you've a good reason to use capitals (such as acronyms) but if you look at the writing style of a minority of inconsiderate posters its not hard to imagine that without that mechanism there would be lots of threads with all-caps, because that person considers the thread they are starting to be vastly more important than anything anyone else has to say, and therefore feel it's okay to shout.

What about a thread with say a paragraph or two, and rather that use bold, underline or italics you opt for a word or two in CAPS, is that bad etiquette?

That's grand, because your emphasising one PARTICULAR part of your own post over the rest of your post.

CONCEPTUALLY IT'S LIKE RAISING YOUR VOICE SLIGHTLY AT A PARTICULAR POINT WHICH IS QUITE DIFFERENT TO SHOUTING AT SOMEONE THROUGHOUT. MORE PRACTICALLY IT DOESN'T HAVE MUCH OF A NEGATIVE EFFECT UPON READABILITY, THOUGH SHOUTING DOES.

On the other hand, bold is neater, for the most part.

Still, we don't have any sort of automatic enforcement of this (but people shouting a lot can expect to find themselves asked firmly to be more polite - as a rule though they tend to go hand-in-hand with more serious offences), only for forum titles which is just something the software does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

For extra brownie points you can use a combination of caps and spacebar T O R E A L L Y A N N O Y P E O P L E ! !

LMFAO

I like brownies.

Also, If I subscribe do I get to pick what text goes under my username or is that just a moderators perk? Will I get laid with access to the Sex & Sexuality forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah, you get to change your "tag" if you subscribe, but we can't guarantee getting LAID if you have access to S&S :)

dusf wrote:
    Also, If I subscribe do I get to pick what text goes under my username or is that just a moderators perk?
    Yes, subscribers get this option.
    dusf wrote:
    Will I get laid with access to the Sex & Sexuality forum?
    Probably not. That said I did end up dating, and eventually becoming engaged to, one of the other moderators there, but this was largely co-incidental.

The Sex & Sexuality forum is more about the theory than the practice. Indeed, when it started I thought it was probably going to pretty much kill any chance of my ever scoring with a boardsie by scaring any potential dates off (hmm, maybe that's how me and another S&S mod got together - all competition was scared off).

Try the personals section of adverts.ie for getting laid.

Advertisement