Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TNA: We Are (Not) Wrestling

• 27-03-2007 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Okay, so Total Non-Stop Action Wrestling in recent weeks has brought me to boiling point.

Okay, so could go on and rant about how much I dislike TNA, because of how the company is run and the show's are booked. I'll save that for later, because firts of all, I want to deal with what I feel is the bigget probelm with TNA.........It's fans.

That's right. I'm probably getting 100 different people staring at the computer screens with a look of utter confusion. Here's the deal. Tna fans will defend their company to the death. Now, I don't want to stereotype, but I don't know a single person to actually follow TNA, and also watch the WWE. Now, before you get down my neck and start beleiving i'm just another fanboy of the 'E, it's not true, and I'l explain later on why. Back to the issue of TNA fan's. As i said, they will defned their company no matter what, and it's basically like if it's not the WWE, it's brilliant.

My other problem with TNA is Vince Russo. That SOB. Now, ya'll probabbly remember the WCW pay-per-view, Bash at the Beach 2000. You know, the one where Vince Russo came out, demanded Jeff Jarret to lie down. None of any of that was scripted, it was basically Russo had gotten so sick of Hogan and all the **** he pulled backstage playing politics. After the match, he cut probably the best promo in the history of pro wrestling (are they still calling it that?). I respect Russo for that promo, and his involvement at Bash at the Beach. But for crying out loud, Russo can't book a wrestling card for life! I mean, with his crappy 2 minute title reigns, gimmicks changes every five minutes and forever lasting fueds.......I'm just basically sick of it. He's taking a WCW approach to TNA. If you don't know what I mean, he's declaring war with the Vince MacMahon. You know where they got Voodo Kin Mafia from right? VKM (Voodo Kin Mafia) = VKM (Vincent Kennedy MacMahon). Okay, down to teh point. HE ran WCW into the ground, and he's about to do the same with TNA. Thing is, would Dixkie Carter really be able to decline a big slump of cash from mr. MacMahon? I think not......

My last point is about the current state of the WWE. I mean, do I really have to go into detail? John Cena, Batista and Bobby Lashley are Raw's, SmackDown's and ECW's World Champions......these men represent the 'E as there main men. Doesn't that say something about the company? Three fan favourties, but none of them can actually wrestle. Two jacked up Powerhouses, and a whit-boy rapper? Seriously, cop the **** on!

Rate, Hate, Debate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Spiron wrote:
    I want to deal with what I feel is the bigget probelm with TNA.........It's fans. .

They blind defense that some TNA fans show used to bug me. I find it kind of funny the lengths some have gone to defend the show.

Don't look at the spoilers for the next 3 weeks either. Its not looking much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

Partial blame rests with Dutch Mantell too.

I'm not quite sure what point your trying to make though. So if TNA didn't have any fans you would like it better?

I think that fans of TNA who have followed it since the beginning hate the treatment TNA has recieved recently, they hate the way the shows are booked just as much as the rest of you. The "Fire Russo" chant sticks out the most.

Every promotion has it's bad points, I just find that TNA has more good points than WWE at the moment. They have talent I want to watch and give them air time. Bad points would be the ridiculous finishes and over use of gimmick matches.

WWE is better booked but the talent they put on tv doesn't appeal to me. They give the guys I like on their roster little to no air time and shove the people I dislike right down my throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Lets deal with your last point first, I agree about Batista and Lashley, but Cena is a good wrestler, he gets the fans passionate about the match and cuts decent promos. I'm not his biggest fan, but I respect him for his wrestling and promo ability.

Now, back to your first point, I think its silly to blame the TNA fans for the crap TNA turn out. The fans defending the show is a good thing, it shows that TNA have a loyal following, but again, its not their fault the show sucks. I remember when WWE was not so good around 2003/2004, I still defended the 'E', as you call it, like the TNA fans do for their product. In fact, TNA's fans are where their success could be found. If they could build the fanbase beyond that of Orlando, they could seriously challenge WWE.

On to Russo, he is the nnumber 2 reason TNA is failing (the number 1 reason being Dixie Carter's reluctance to fire Russo. His writing talent is far to unbelievable, even for soap operas.

TNA have dropped the ball as of late and need to pick it up again and soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I disagree with a lot of what is written here. Some points in particular though...

1. TNA fans crapped all over the Hemme/VKM segment a few month's back plus the Abyss/Sting gimmick at the last PPV. I think a lot of them recognise that the product is suffering right now.

2. John Cena can wrestle. If you were to name the best matches of 2007 so far you'd have to say his match with Umaga at the Royal Rumble is a contender. To label him simply a "white boy rapper" is stupid. He is one of their best promo guys and that's not from cutting any raps.

3. Russo cut probably the best promo of all time at Bash of the Beach? What are you smoking? It was decent but all he basically did was throw a few cuss words at Hulk Hogan. Don't ask me what the best promo of all time was but it wasn't Russo's. Flair's promo on Carlito earlier this year was better in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Don't ask me what the best promo of all time was

Ask me! It was either Punks "This is Straight Edge" promo or Alex Shelley's "Personal Jesus" promo. Really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

Double C wrote:
    Ask me! It was either Punks "This is Straight Edge" promo or Alex Shelley's "Personal Jesus" promo. Really.

Got any links, I'm ashamed to say I've never seen them. I really liked Heyman's promo on Smackdown!, can't remember what it was about but it was really passionate.

Shane Douglas throwing down the NWA title in ECW was really good.

Brian Pillman's "Smart Mark" promo in ECW.

Hogan's promo at the birth of the NWO was really good too.

There the good promo's that really come to mind.

I disagree with a lot of what is written here. Some points in particular though...

1. TNA fans crapped all over the Hemme/VKM segment a few month's back plus the Abyss/Sting gimmick at the last PPV. I think a lot of them recognise that the product is suffering right now.

There are definitely alot of TNA fans who are annoyed at the way things stand right now. In saying that I've seen quite alot of really bizarre feedback(in my opinion) in defence of the current product.

Just one example of the type of feedback I've seen comes from a guy talking about the last ppv. They generally aren't as extreme as this but I've seen quite alot similar:

WOW! The Dave Meltzer fan club must have been there last night. Who else would want Russo fired? I thought last night's show was awesome. Very entertaining! Russo has the best creative mind in the business. It's funny either people hate or love TNA right now. Either way they keep watching and that's what makes wrestling so great. I think Russo has done a great job making some of the TNA wrestlers into stars. Especially Jay Lethal and Chris Sabin. People actually recognize this guys now. There's a huge TNA fan base that loves the Russo style of writing. Some of the same fans that watched when he wrote for Raw and made them so popular. I think if Dave Meltzer said Vince McMahon died there would be ten websites repeat it as if it was the gospel truth. I think people should realize Melzer loves to bash Russo. By the way it's a proven fact that Meltzer tends to stretch the truth and force his one sided opinions on people............Thanks Wayne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I do agree to an extent with the point about some TNA fans defending it to the death. There must be plenty of people who watch TNA and WWE, otherwise TNA's rating wouldn't have dropped that time they went head-to-head with WWE

I don't know how much Dutch Mantell is to blame, as he has been on TNA's creative team for a long time, but it's been worse than ever since Russo rejoined

The thing about attacking WWE is one of Russo's philosophies. It's burned into his brain, if you're number 1 then you ignore number 2, but if you're number 2 then you've got to attack number 1. I disagree completely with him

At the moment I feel that WWE puts on better wrestling. TNA puts more guys on tv that I would like to watch, but I want to see them wrestle. I don't want to see them in a 2 minute match or in a match where they have to try to work around a gimmick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sorry to go off topic, but the best promo of all time is Mick Foley's (as Cactus Jack) right after he and Terry Funk (as Chainsaw Charlie) were beaten by DX.

Awesome promo.

Austins promo when he joined ECW was excellent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There are definitely alot of TNA fans who are annoyed at the way things stand right now. In saying that I've seen quite alot of really bizarre feedback(in my opinion) in defence of the current product...

Yeah I know what you mean. I remember the night TNA took a hammering when it went up against Raw and there were die-hards trying to claim their lousy rating was actually good. It was quite clear that a huge bulk of the audience decided to watch Raw instead and who can blame them really.

On a related note I listened to the Bryan Alvarez free audio show where he discusses the Raw show. I thought it was hilarious when he was describing how Russo would have booked it...

"Let's have CENA super kick SHAWN! It's not even his move!"

Seriously people should listen to that audio show just for that bit alone. It's 40 minutes in:

http://www.f4wonline.com/

On the best promo ever, the only one that gave me a chill down my spine was a certain Mick Foley promo...

Cane Dewey

• Advertisement

Seriously people should listen to that audio show just for that bit alone. It's 40 minutes in:

http://www.f4wonline.com/

It warms my heart that people are starting to go to figure four! I actually didn't think that was one of they're better shows but they're always good. The Lance Storm show from Monday was really good too.

If anyone was ever to sign up for even just a month, I'd say now is a good time. Apparently there are 8 pay per views next month which means a hell of alot of audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Double C wrote:

What About Foley's promo on Flair?

Ah thats just me and my pro ROH propaganda. Foley is also the king of the promo, his anti hardcore one in ECW is awesome.
    Jake Roberts, Flair, Triple H (at times) are also pretty nifty on the mic, needless to say Austin and the Rock. And yes, Cena is the best promo-er in WWE right now.
    As far as the topic goes, Fozzy put it well above saying WWE puts on better wrestling, but TNA have the better roster (imo) they just have to put up with terrible booking and gimmicks coming out their arses. Now theres an idea for Russo :p

rizzla wrote:
    Got any links, I'm ashamed to say I've never seen them.
    Back off topic. I couldn't find links to the ones I mentioned above but here's one I've always had a soft spot for from FWA. Punk, in the middle of a feud with Raven cuts this quality straight edge promo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuP8tqxeslY
    I stumbled across this one too, pretty funny. Punk is pissed off in Germany, about to fight the great Chris Hero.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQnsmFLKSP8

Advertisement