Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite 'mammy' dinner ?

• 27-03-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

You know the kind of dinner you really miss when you are away, the one that only your Mam makes. My Mam used to make salmon cakes. Huge balls of mashed potato with lumps of salmon inside, lightly fried and served with baked beans. Yum....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Shepards Pie. Mmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Grandma Billy's roast beef ftw!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Pork stew <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Roast chicken with ALL the trimmings or Roast lamb... it makes the best roast potatoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

Bacon, Cabbage & Loads of Buttery mash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Roast pork, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, buttered carrotts......and lashings of brown gravey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

olaola wrote:
    Roast lamb... it makes the best roast potatoes!
    Have to agree with that.Best flavour ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Not so much a dinner, but I'll be missing the scones when she's gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

a nice hearty lamb or beef stew witout question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

My mum's beef stew made with Guinness, with chunky carrots and potatoes and huge dumplings. She'd put a bay leaf into in it towards the end of cooking for extra flavour. She made loads of other yummy stuff too but that's the dinner I miss most since I left home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Well, I have to say, it can be both cooked by either my Mam or Dad, but it has to be Bacon and Cabbage. not talking about this corned beef sh*te either.

Lovely thick slices of bacon. Home cured even better. With potatoes and cabbage water.....and a glass of milk. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Cabbage, spuds and ribs. Absolutly delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Irish Stew! I was reared on it, and now I cook it every Monday night for my boyfriend.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

broccolli and cauliflower with loads of cheese sauce, stuffed tomatos, roasties, mash, peas, brussels and carrots followed by home made meringues and cream oh oh oh potato cakes, mine never taste the same

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Lasagne with salad and garlic bread. And orange cheesecake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Big bowl of coddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Beef Bourginon ... or however you spell it. She makes it with loads of red wine and shalotts and bacon... mmmmmmmmm! I haven't had it for years now. I think I'll be putting a request in this weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My 'mammy' couldn't cook to save her life, god bless her :) So I don't have a favourite. Good job I didn't take after her though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

stovelid wrote:
    Big bowl of coddle

Sorry Stovelid, but YUK ! Boiled sausages, I just don't get it. I hid in the back garden when my Mammy made it for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

stovelid wrote:
    Big bowl of coddle

Respect!

However I am going to have to give steak pie the nod.

j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Christmas dinner... turkey, ham, gravy made from the juice of the meat, mashed and roast potatoes, brussels sprouts, carrots... yum!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I still make the same dinners for myself all the time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sunday Dinner - Roast potato's, carrots, musy pea's, stuffing, apple sauce, gravy and roast meat. It might be lamb, beef or pork. Ohhhh that's own tasty dinner that I just can't replicate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Christmas Dinner!
    Although Dad plays a big part in it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

Coddle, hmmmmmmm Yummm, but my dad makes it better than my mum so my fav mammy meal has to be meatloaf with a big side of creamy mash.

Advertisement