Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Commercial Computing

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So cyber agrees that its tiring, but continues on a rant anyway? How amusing. Also very amusing to see he is refusing to identify himself, its like hes afraid of being found out.

He rants on so much about Commerical Computing and tries to defend a course that has come across some hard hitting reviews which do not put it in good light. While its good to see someone step in and defend, its poor to see that person throwing insults, making stupid comments and refuse to admit fault.

The BSc in Applied Computing has faced an overhall in the last two years, and the WIT website seems very much out of date with information on both courses - so unless cyber has some inside information -- we need some offical new documentation to state facts (which I think ill go asking about, since this seems to have gone so deep it might be misleading).

The idea of pointing out mistakes in the undergrad course to those wanting to do the postgrad course - again, whether a connection is there or not - is to make the student aware of what they MAY or MAY NOT face if they join the course.

Applied Computing - is no angel of a course. It to has problems and im not affraid to admit or state them. It annoys me to see people who refuse to even comment on who they are, defend their course so much they think its the bees-nees and make a mockery of those others who try to bring light to a course thats apparently ridden with problems.

Ill have no further part of this debate as its clear cyber isnt going to answer my question, and its not even getting anywhere. Ill try clear up postgrad opportunites for both courses within the next few weeks. Just so we can be clear on that.

OP: Sorry for the topic intrusion, it was just a simple warning about a "lower end" of the same course you were considering. As I expected, it fulled into a huge debate and mockery thread. Its up to ec18 to decide if he wants to further aggroviate a guy destined to fight for a flawed course, and never back down. In the end, both sides have been heard and its up to those who read it - to pass their judgement and decide what they want to do.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

With all due respects Sully I have not been the one whom has been getting confused and discussing undergraduate courses in a thread about a postgraduate course.
    In fact you are the one whom started the ranting on about undergraduate courses I have simply been providing accurate information about a WIT postgraduate course to chamer without personal opinion.

Sully the only one passing judgment is you. I believe i have provided much more accurate information on the postgraduate opportunities then you. I have also not defended any undergraduate or postgraduate courses in this thread just provide the facts which are missing from your argument as usual.

cyberwit wrote:
    There is a difference between an undergraduate degree course and a post graduate degree course.

The Higher Diploma in Commercial Computing being the former; there is no follow on degree only other post grad courses.

The above mentioned course is a conversion post graduate course
    aimed at those whom already have an undergraduate degree in an non IT related area

Conversion Course is an indepth skills conversion course aimed at those who wish to pursue a career in the Information Technology field but whose primary qualification lies in an area outside IT.

Over 60% of graduates with higher
    degrees have starting salaries in
    excess of £17,000
    compared to
    37% of graduates of primary degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Just jumping in here now, I don't know much about this dip in commercial computing but I did the cert, diploma in Commercial Computing and then went on to do the degree in Commercial Software development. I graduated in 1999 and have found the course to be pretty good for preparing for the IT industry. I have been working in software development since then. The only downside I found was that there was no work placement at the time, maybe this has changed now though.

Just my tuppence worth..sorry if I have been of no help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

run_Forrest_run, I totally agree with you. Some people (Sully) are obsessed (Sully) with bad mouthing other peoples courses despite the fact that they can't tell the difference between a postgraduate degree and undergraduate degree and still have exams to do in modules from a year ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

cyberwit wrote:
    run_Forrest_run, I totally agree with you. Some people (Sully) are obsessed (Sully) with bad mouthing other peoples courses despite the fact that they can't tell the difference between a postgraduate degree and undergraduate degree and still have exams to do in modules from a year ago.

Some people (cyberwit) are a pain in the ass and are obsessed (cyberwit) with defending a computing course that has been rated very poor in the past by several people. Some people (cyberwit) are to scared to reveal their true identity and instead cower (cyberwit) behind their boards.ie username.

Some people (cyberwit) cant face facts. Also some people (cyberwit) dont realise the discussion with regards to postgrads course was held by another Boards user and not me. Also, some people (Cybergit) ignore the fact it was someone else who was confused with the difference between courses. I guess some people (cyberwit) are afraid to challenge the other person and ignore facts (cyberwit) and so think he is a tough man (cyberwit).

Some people will of course find the course good, while others will shoot it down. I have stated on many occasions that all the stories I was told are not good, and thats why I dont recommend the course. It is an opinion, which I am allowed to have but some people (cybertwit) cant handle critisim of something they are so obsessed with. I guess some people (cybertwat) need to get out more.

cyberwit:- You can huff and puff, winge and cry all you like - but I cant be arsed with someone who wont even reveal who they are. You are a clear coward and need to get out more. Nor will they agree the course isnt "fantastic" and will admit that it does have its downsides. I have no problem admiting for some it was good, for others they expected better. Pitty you couldnt just agree.

Also, you should take back the comments about postgrad. As you will see, the main discussion about this was NOT held with me. I took very little interest, and the confusion about the difference between the two was NOT by me. In fact, I was the one to state the poster was WRONG.

Good Day to you.

• Advertisement

Just jumping in here now, I don't know much about this dip in commercial computing but I did the cert, diploma in Commercial Computing and then went on to do the degree in Commercial Software development. I graduated in 1999 and have found the course to be pretty good for preparing for the IT industry. I have been working in software development since then. The only downside I found was that there was no work placement at the time, maybe this has changed now though.

Just my tuppence worth..sorry if I have been of no help!

The course has received a high negativity rate by people currently sitting and who have sat it in the past. Cyberwit has really been the only one to defend it to such extremes, its kind of freaky.

Im delighted to see someone else defending it, and your post has been helpful. Its good to show two sides :)

Cheers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sully the abuse isn't going to be tollerated but as the above post seems to of left things on a friendlyish note i'll leave it at that. no more though.

mayordenis wrote:
    Sully the abuse isn't going to be tollerated but as the above post seems to of left things on a friendlyish note i'll leave it at that. no more though.

Sorry Mayo, im just defending myself. I do have issues with being accused of something I didnt take part in. I opted out of this convo until cyber kept making comments directed at me to get me back.

Perhaps he should also be told to lay of.

Anyway, cheers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

its cool happy days :)

Advertisement