Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caterham or Westfield

Options
  • 27-03-2007 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm considering getting a week-end fun car, probably a Caterham 7 or a Westfield, although I'm also keeping an eye out for AC Cobra replicas. Probably going to have to source from the UK, and not looking for anything too new as its only going to be for occasional fun use. Probably not newer than 10 years old. Not too fussed about getting a mega fast one although if a Jonathan Palmer Evolution Seven came along at the right money I would be severely tempted....:cool:

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of these cars, and what sort of things I should be looking out for? Are there any particular engines to stay clear of? Any known mechanical problems? Is rust an issue with older cars?

Also, should I stay clear of home built kit versions (i.e. those on a 'Q' registration plate) and look for factory built versions? Do the kit versions tend to be as well put together?

Finally if anyone has any good websites to source such cars from can they post them here. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've driven and done track days in few of these in the UK.

Everything from a Westfield with an old xflow 1.7 engine, through a Catherham with an all steel racing version of the same engine, to a Westfield with an engine and gearbox from a Honda Fireblade.

All were homebuilt and on q plates and were none the worse for that tbh.

There are various specilaist websites around for them.

They are great fun and very raw. My own view is our roads are too rough for them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Raw....definitely :D. Short of an Ariel Atom probably the closest you will get to a road legal racing car. Even the lesser powered versions with the old crossflow engines or Zetec units still do 0-100km/h in under six seconds!

Wouldn't be too worried that our roads are too rough. Drove a Seven some years ago through some pretty uneven back roads in Dorset and it coped just fine. Plus, as its a fun car, it will be a case of finding those roads that suit it rather than having to go somewhere specific.... :)

The Caterham is supposed to be (slightly) the more refined of the two, but Westfields are significantly cheaper. Have never driven a Westfield though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Don't discount Robinhood, they are great value for money. You can get them pre-assembled or used too :)

They pop up on ebay from time to time too.

Also, if you haven't already, checkout: http://www.irishkitcarclub.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Hadn't come across this company before. Any idea what are they like to drive? Also do they have type approval? Some of these kit-cars can look the part but are crude (and sometimes dangerous) to drive. Consequently I'm more inclined to focus on Caterhams and Westfields as these are recognised quality products. But will look into Robinhood more. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

A few years ago I did the westfield factory tour, loved every minute of it. Very nice guys. Book a cheap flight with ryanair, the factory isn't too far from the airport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement