Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for 1500m race

Options
  • 27-03-2007 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Ok, new to long-distance running, but need to to start preparing for this race - in about 3 weeks.
    Is it possible to find a programme or schedule (that I will stick to) to help me prepare for this.
    Couple of stats:
    18 y.o.
    decent level of fitness, have done a few races before, but had little to no training beforehand (didn't do well obviously) - only other sports I'v done are boxing and rugby, but they only needed small bursts of energy.

So, any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Unfortunately 3 weeks is very little time to prepare for a 1500m. Of course it depends what the competition is and how you expect to do, but if its the schools championships the competition will be pretty good and unless you are a Hicham El Guerrouj waiting to be discovered, 3 weeks is no time to get the best from yourself.

It also depends how much time you have each week to train and that needs to be combined with your current state of fitness to get a balance as to what sessions to do. Even coming from a decent level of fitness, if you begin introductory training for the 1500 right now for the next 3 weeks, you'll probably be wrecked by the time the race comes in 3 weeks. Perhaps others may be able to help but a 3 week crash course for the 1500 is not a good idea.

Do you intend to race for the rest of the track season or is it a once off? If you intend to keep racing, use this race as a gauge as to where you are and a learning curve. Then maybe join a club who will have a coach and get into their training group. Give the race in 3 weeks your best shot and think about maybe joining a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

How Bannister trained

Tingle is right that if you go to hard you will get injured.

Advertisement