Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tall Ships Race 2011

• 27-03-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Organisers of The Tall Ships’ Races today announced five host ports in Germany, Ireland, Norway and the UK for the Tall Ships’ Races 2011.
    The start port will be Waterford, Ireland. From there the fleet will race to Greenock in Scotland. The fleet will then cruise-in-company to Lerwick in the Shetlands from where the fleet will race across the North Sea to Stavanger in Norway, to be followed by a third race to Cuxhaven in Germany.

This unusual combination of five ports and three races provides the first opportunity for The Tall Ships’ Races fleet to sail around the west coast of Ireland to Greenock, as well as a testing race across the North Sea to Stavanger and down to Cuxhaven. The cruise-in-company from Greenock to Lerwick in the Shetland Islands will include some beautiful scenery around the Western Isles.

Firm dates have yet to be agreed, but it is likely the start from Waterford will be in late June, with the finish in Cuxhaven in early August.
    Jostein Haukali, Chairman of Tall Ships Races (Europe) Limited, a wholly owned company of Sail Training International, said: “There were many excellent ports bidding to host the Race Series in 2011 which provided us with quite a selection challenge and one of the reasons we decided to include five in this race series. The ports we finally selected offer a good combination and all have shown keen interest in furthering sail training in their regions and countries - and sail training for young people is what these Races are all about.”

Dates and more detail on planned arrangements will be announced later in the year.

Excellent news for Waterford. Can't wait to see the ships back again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fandyfan

ur gonna b waitin a long time! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well atleast Waterford got it, not sure if they went for it but Dublin is crap for this type of thing.

I'd like to see the same or better traffic reestrictions in place in 2011 as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Brilliant news!! Can't wait ( well I know I'll have to ) for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

fantastic news for waterford :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thats great news! Where was the original report printed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Trotter wrote:
    Thats great news! Where was the original report printed??

It's here.

Fantastic news! Now that's "identity" if anyone's looking for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Didn't Cork also apply for it for 2011?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cool, take that Dublin and Cork! ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Great News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

Cabaal wrote:
    Well atleast Waterford got it, not sure if they went for it but Dublin is crap for this type of thing.

I'd like to see the same or better traffic reestrictions in place in 2011 as well :)

With the Bypass and Motorway in situ it will be far easier to get to,from and around the City.....

But it's Brilliant News indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Excellent news for Waterford , Im sure we are going to be the first Irish city to host the Tall ships for a second time.

Lets hope the redevlopment of the north wharf is completed by then ( But probably unlikley ) It would really rubber stamp Waterford's status of having the grandest quays in Europe !!

I was thinking about the north quays last night, thats the only bit that'll let us down, though the site will have been cleared by then I'm sure!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Waterford is the only city to have hosted the race full stop. The race stopped by Dublin before, but to host the race, as we all know, is something special. We get the festival. :)

If I was running the world, the south quay would be free of cars/carparks and the north quays would be redeveloped by 2011. Would ye vote for me? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Ha ha that's one in the eye for ye kilkenny bastards ...

[/end sarcasm]

To be honest it's brilliant news and should also get the finger pulled out on some projects around town to have them ready for then ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Junior wrote:
    QUOTE]

It was the Cork bastards in this case. They made an application for the 2011 race to try and take it out from under Waterford’s feet when they heard that the organisers had invited Waterford to apply. Great boost for the city now that we have it.

I think the tall ships in Kilkenny would be a fine sight! :D

Mike.

Junior wrote:

It was the Cork bastards in this case. They made an application for the 2011 race to try and take it out from under Waterford’s feet when they heard that the organisers had invited Waterford to apply. Great boost for the city now that we have it.

It's always one in the eye for those kilkenny bastards when we do well :D:D

I should stop winding them up really eh ?

Junior wrote:
    It's always one in the eye for those kilkenny bastards when we do well :D:D

I should stop winding them up really eh ?

Heehee. :D

Ah they'll get us back again by piling up rubbish all around south Kilkenny prior to the tall ships!

• Advertisement

Junior wrote:
    It's always one in the eye for those kilkenny bastards when we do well

Good point;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Am I the only one who finds objectionable the use of the "B" word in relation to our neighbours?

Again, well done Waterford on getting the Tall Ships race for the second time. We don't need to be slagging anyone.

fricatus wrote:
    Am I the only one who finds objectionable the use of the "B" word in relation to our neighbours?

When you consider Kilkenny’s attitude to Waterford, calling them bastards is pretty tame in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

fricatus wrote:

Could be worse. Imagine if people from Waterford referred to Kilkenny as Nazi's.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Could be worse. Imagine if people from Waterford referred to Kilkenny as Nazi's.

Best... Retort... Ever... :D

(And no, it will never get old!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I think that this can have a negative effect too - a lot of clubs and charities found funding and public support very difficult when it was here two years ago because businesses were pressurised into supporting the Tall Ships which meant that there wasn't a lot left for the rest.

I remember the Tall Ships golf classic was 1500 euro a team while the other clubs and charity events were 250 euro. This meant that a company that supported the Tall Ships would have used their budget and five other good causes lost out!!

I thought the Tall Ships was a great spectacle but there was a downside!!

I only meant my replies in Jest folks, none were to be taken seriously. My better half is from Thomastown and I do spend a lot of time in that neck of the woods.

Advertisement