Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Back Tyres Bald

Options
  • 27-03-2007 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm buying a new car from a car dealer and the had my mechanic check it today the price is good but my mecanic said the back tyres are bald and that it wasnt serviced (oil wasnt changed, etc...) the dealer said it was serviced. Should the dealer change these tyres as they are expensive to change and i am buying the car for cash.

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tony255 wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm buying a new car from a car dealer and the had my mechanic check it today the price is good but my mecanic said the back tyres are bald and that it wasnt serviced (oil wasnt changed, etc...) the dealer said it was serviced. Should the dealer change these tyres as they are expensive to change and i am buying the car for cash.

Tony

The dealer should replace the bald tyre and have the car serviced as part of the sale. Some only do this however when the sale is agreed. They incorporate these expenses in to the trade-in price they gave the previous owner or selling price they give the new buyer.

If you have any doubts then walk away. There are plenty of other fish in the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Tony255 wrote:
    Hi,

Tony

Alarm bells ringing already, walk away!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds a bit dodgy. tyres are something I'd bever scrimp on when selling. doesn't instill much confidence if obvious things like oil and tyres are overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Car checked out perfect besides the tyres but the nct is due on the 17th of april should the dealer complete this nct for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

MAYPOP wrote:
    Alarm bells ringing already, walk away!

My thoughts exactly. What else hasn't he told you.

• Advertisement

Tony255 wrote:
    Car checked out perfect besides the tyres but the nct is due on the 17th of april should the dealer complete this nct for me?

What I usually do in that situation is agree with the customer that any issues that may come up on the NCT will be covered by the warranty, usually following a pre NCT inspection by the garage though. write it on the SIMI order form before you both sign it. alternatively, hold off on collecting the car until after they have tested it for you. Don't give over any cash until you've both agreed on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I wouldnt go near any car from a dealer without a fresh nct. Its no skin off their back to get it done, It could cost you alott more than two bald tyres, ie emittion failure, If hes lied about the service hes more than likely lied about the mileage, wouldnt touch it with a barge pole unless you have a very good mechanic with you that knows his stuff.

Bradidup wrote:
    I wouldnt go near any car from a dealer without a fresh nct. Its no skin off their back to get it done, It could cost you alott more than two bald tyres, ie emittion failure, If hes lied about the service hes more than likely lied about the mileage, wouldnt touch it with a barge pole unless you have a very good mechanic with you that knows his stuff.

Yeah my mechanic is pretty good and is a real honest guy (i know its hard to believe but they do exist). He checked it over and said he probably wont do the nct but if i get the tyres changed then that should be a good start.

If he's not going to do the NCT he's probably afraid it'll fail, unless you're getting it a lot cheaper than a main dealer, or it's a very cheap car (i.e. old) you should look elsewhere.

colm_mcm wrote:
    If he's not going to do the NCT he's probably afraid it'll fail, unless you're getting it a lot cheaper than a main dealer, or it's a very cheap car (i.e. old) you should look elsewhere.

its a pretty good deal about 1.5k cheaper than anything on carzone although i am paying in cash with nothing to trade in so that probably explains the 1.5k difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

maybe there's a reason why it's cheaper than others???

walk away, * all carzone carzone prices are inflated retail prices. and should include room to negotiate. Also any decent dealer won't argue over NCT or servicing or tyres.

What kind of car is it?

(* 99% of..)

Its a 318CI

If a 318CI was listing on carzone as 17,5k what should i expect to get it for?

chances are you're paying a fair whack for it.
    I'd be looking for a dealer that won't argue over any future warranty issues. you don't want to be paying for that stuff yourself.
    My instinct would be to walk away from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If he doesn't agree (in writing) to fix anything that fails the NCT then he has no confidence in the car passing the NCT. He probably ain't telling you something. That is the same as buying a car without a warranty so in that case I see no point in buying from a dealer.

There are plenty of second hand 318Ci models out there, don't let the cheaper price be your only deciding factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I would not walk away.

I would RUN!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Tony255 wrote:
    Yeah my mechanic is pretty good and is a real honest guy (i know its hard to believe but they do exist). He checked it over and said he probably wont do the nct but if i get the tyres changed then that should be a good start.

He probably knows all the tell tail marks to look for around the dashboard for signs of tampering ie dust & fingermarks on the inside of the clock, screws missing, cracks, wires hanging out etc, people are still stupid and clumsy. Last month this idiot forgot to connect the speedo altogether in a punto that supposingly done 26000miles.

Advertisement