Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to start?

• 27-03-2007 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

i have been playing guitar for over a year now and i think its time for me to start writing a few songs.... i have tried in the past but they just sounded like a 2 year old wrote them! any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SolMate

One approach to getting started here http://www.irenejackson.com/qa.html
    Lots of other articles there too.

Some people start with the lyric and fit the music, some the other way around, some get a chord pattern going, then write a melody around that and finally words to fit. Inspiration for subject matter can come from anywhere. There are really no rules. Depends on what works best for you.

Or...if you're not comfortable writing lyrics there are always lots of people on songwriting boards who are looking for collaborators (probably some on this board too, just ask)....there are about twenty people who've written lyrics but can't put them to music for every one who is the other way around....so find a lyric that you'd like to put to music and ask the writer if they'd like to collaborate. Most will jump at it.

Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Smushbush

cool i never thought about that! i'll give it a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

It's all practise! Someone once said "Write ten songs every day and throw nine away.", or something like that... Sentiment that counts...

Anyway! If you've only just started, let's be fair, your songs aren't going to be great. My first attempts were s*** :D But I've been writing for a few years now, and my songs are getting better and better.

Sometimes it helps to have a song you want to sound like. Pick a song you really like, and write something similar. *Similar*, you don't want to be getting sued :p As you write more, you'll have develop your own style and you won't need this motivation or target.

And write for yourself! If you write something, and think "That's no good" 'cause you're afraid what others'll think, you're lying! The cardinal sin of songwriting! Write for you and only you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Have a read of this, it definitely helped me when i was starting!!!

http://www.songschool.ie/pearls/detail.asp?ID=13

Advertisement