Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Be Turned Into A Council Backed WiFi Hotspot?

Options
  • 27-03-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

It got a quick mention on yesterday's 6.01 news. Anyone here in the know about this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes, IBB bought Dublin and got a sub prime mortgage to pay for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes. free dialup speed by wireless. Be interesting to see how they pay for it. There was a longer article on RTE radio a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

yuck, dialup, say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Akula

Better than nothing and once the infrastructure is there it will presumably get ramped up as bandwidth costs go down.

The implications of this are enormous in terms of providing internet access for the disadvantaged.

Granted. Handy for being out and about in Dublin with a laptop I guess. Just I'd consider not paying €48 p/m for my 3mbps sdsl if they were offering 1mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If they made it all free it'd be pretty nice :)

Re: infrastructure - we need fiber to the home everywhere like that guy from Street Fighter II.

Fiber Uppercut!

Akula wrote:
    Better than nothing and once the infrastructure is there it will presumably get ramped up as bandwidth costs go down.

The implications of this are enormous in terms of providing internet access for the disadvantaged.
    Experience in other cities shows that it is the well heeled & Yuppies that benefit the most. People that mostly could otherwise make their own arrangements.

dusf wrote:
    Granted. Handy for being out and about in Dublin with a laptop I guess. Just I'd consider not paying €48 p/m for my 3mbps sdsl if they were offering 1mbps.

A Wifi node would just about support 10 people at 1Mbps. If a mesh covered all of Dublin you would need about 4 or 5 nodes per street and more backhaul than all the ISPs use together. It can't realistically hope to even be as good as ripwave.

Even with a 4G system you would need many more bases than I can envisage Dublin corporation paying for.

They would be better focussed use of money and better bandwidth if they subsidized a 3G/HSDPA card or 4G card for anyone with a Medical Card or Unemployed. Then the operators would add bases as more users signed up.

WiFi is very inefficient, scales poorly and needs far too much backhaul connections (not actually huge BW per connection) as the cells are too small even when the density of users doesn't warrent it.

WiFi is for Home / Office/ Cafe / Hotel hotspots. Isolated groups of up to 10 users. While an outdoor Mesh does work, it is like a dog doing Groucho Marx impressions. (Amazing, but not terribly good or usefull).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

It would be perfectly adequate for checking email & news headlines on my PDA. So I'm all in favour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

useful for also making phone calls via a hybrid wifi/gsm mobile phone :)

bambam wrote:
    useful for also making phone calls via a hybrid wifi/gsm mobile phone :)

Yeah I heard you can do that with 3G, your mobile and skype/blueface, if that's what you're suggesting? The phone I have right now is only worth €39 but I'll get one of the second generation (first gen has no 3G) Apple iPhone's when they're released. Will I be able to this with that phone, and also, can you set it up so it automatically connects to any wifi node it can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

watty wrote:
    A Wifi node would just about support 10 people at 1Mbps. If a mesh covered all of Dublin you would need about 4 or 5 nodes per street and more backhaul than all the ISPs use together. It can't realistically hope to even be as good as ripwave.

Even with a 4G system you would need many more bases than I can envisage Dublin corporation paying for.

They would be better focussed use of money and better bandwidth if they subsidized a 3G/HSDPA card or 4G card for anyone with a Medical Card or Unemployed. Then the operators would add bases as more users signed up.

WiFi is very inefficient, scales poorly and needs far too much backhaul connections (not actually huge BW per connection) as the cells are too small even when the density of users doesn't warrent it.

WiFi is for Home / Office/ Cafe / Hotel hotspots. Isolated groups of up to 10 users. While an outdoor Mesh does work, it is like a dog doing Groucho Marx impressions. (Amazing, but not terribly good or usefull).
    WiMax?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Nope 3G isn't needed, I'm on about phones which have native support for 802.11 b/g and also GSM. See here: http://news.com.com/Wi-Fi+phones+make+a+splash/2100-7351_3-5296745.html
    dusf wrote:
    Yeah I heard you can do that with 3G, your mobile and skype/blueface, if that's what you're suggesting? The phone I have right now is only worth €39 but I'll get one of the second generation (first gen has no 3G) Apple iPhone's when they're released. Will I be able to this with that phone, and also, can you set it up so it automatically connects to any wifi node it can?

BendiBus wrote:
    It would be perfectly adequate for checking email & news headlines on my PDA. So I'm all in favour
    Yes very good for that.
    bambam wrote:
    useful for also making phone calls via a hybrid wifi/gsm mobile phone
    Unlikely to work very often

You don't need Apple's obsolete iPhone. Plenty of last years phones do WiFi & MP3. Don't expect to be able to do VOIP. Most Hotspots in London in a recent survey could not support VOIP.

WiMax would be no use:
    1) Mobile version only releases maybe next year
    2) 3.5Ghz needs a licence
    3) Few people, esp poorer will have it (no-one for Mobile WiMax now)
    4) Poorer at penetration and coverage than WiFi as 3.5GHz vs 2.4Ghz

If it happens at all it will be WiFi licence free.

Advertisement