Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving test

Options
  • 27-03-2007 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

did my driving test today. and think its terrible the way you are treated. its like going to see the principal in school when you were ten years of age. they make no effort to calm your nerves he didnt even say good morning. just into the office take a seat and started to ask questions. surely in this day an age they can come up with some form of doing the test without you feeling like you are going to fail it before you even get in the car. i felt like a criminal that was going to court not some body doing their driving test.
    its no wonder the waiting list are so long. cause i can see why so many people fail it. and have to apply again. i am sure there are plenty of could drivers out there that go to do there test and when are met with this warm welcome NOT. that they go to pieces.

anybody else agree????

proably leaving myself open to be slated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved to Learning to Drive forum

So I take it you did not pass then, ambman? :(
    ambman wrote:
    he didnt even say good morning

That's poor manners

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Was it with the government testers or with SGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

thanks unkel couldnt find it

government

hey hey unkel but i did pass :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My driving tester was exactly like that - professional and impersonal - and I don't really have a problem with it. I don't really see it as their position to be pretend to be nice, calm the nervous or console the failed, especially given how many tests they perform in a year.

they are testing you on how you drive not walking the mile.
    there was one poor guy in the waiting room with me and he was shaking with the fear

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My driving tester was exactly like that - professional and impersonal - and I don't really have a problem with it. I don't really see it as their position to be pretend to be nice, calm the nervous or console the failed, especially given how many tests they perform in a year.
    Part of being a professional is being able to interract with youor clients/audience.
    This kind of behavious is not acceptable - they shouldn't have to pretend to be nice - they should be nice without forcing themselves - its not that difficult (e.g. it takes less muscles to smile than to frown).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My first tester was like that; I felt like I failed the minute I walked in the door and was greeted with a cold hard stare. The guy barely spoke enough to grunt out the oral exam questions at me. (And gave me a look that could kill when I got them all right).

The other two were very nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Congrats for passing anyway.

I failed the test the first time and I thought the tester contributed to it in some ways. He was dour, unfriendly and seem to radiate disapproval when I made (many :D) mistakes.

My second tester was a woman near to my own age, friendly and almost encouraging. My nerves were definitely not as bad and I passed as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

when i went for mine a few weeks back i found the guy a bit rude too. Didn't mind so much as i wasn't expecting to talk about footie on the way round or anything. Passed it anyway, but when i stood up to leave i put my hand out to shake, cause i though it would be the correct thing to do, manners 'n all, well,you'd have thought i'd asked him for a urine smaple or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They're a strange bunch. You know those dogs that run out on the road and cause people to fail their tests? You know they breed them, right? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ha ha, I KNEW it! At least I'm prepared for them to be like this. Because I go to pieces at the mere mention of the T word and drive even worse then usual (which is hard to do when you're me) at the thought of it, my instructor has warned me they're not going to be chatty and sometimes not even polite and to bear this in mind. "Don't be freaked out because they're sitting in silence glaring at you. Don't bother asking if they're comfortable or would like the heating on; (sucking up) they generally won't even reply. Even though they're barking out orders, never be afraid to ask them to clarify something or repeat what they've said." They are his three pieces of advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mr Pinchy123

ambman wrote:
    did my driving test today. and think its terrible the way you are treated. its like going to see the principal in school when you were ten years of age. they make no effort to calm your nerves he didnt even say good morning. just into the office take a seat and started to ask questions. surely in this day an age they can come up with some form of doing the test without you feeling like you are going to fail it before you even get in the car. i felt like a criminal that was going to court not some body doing their driving test.
    its no wonder the waiting list are so long. cause i can see why so many people fail it. and have to apply again. i am sure there are plenty of could drivers out there that go to do there test and when are met with this warm welcome NOT. that they go to pieces.

anybody else agree????

proably leaving myself open to be slated:D

So u big timed bottled it u must be a middled aged woman der all ****!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ambman wrote:
    hey hey unkel but i did pass :D

Congrats! Happy and safe motoring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bazrovers

passed my test today, the area around is difficult enough as there are no sign posted speed limits , had a very nice man testing introduced himself and made me feel at ease from the get go, there are alot of roundabouts , i had three all on route four , traffic heavy enough at 1 but ok

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

21 month old thread brought back to life!

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement