Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Firewall Question

• 27-03-2007 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I use zone-alarm on windows xp and find it great. I can't seem to install it on vista. I keep getting a error "truevector" needs to be shut down. I've tried downloading zone-alarm and installing in safe mode, but i get the same problem. I was just wondering if its actually compatable with Vista?

IF not; Can anyone hear recommend a good firewall to download. I dont want Norton or Macfree.

thks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What version?
    A quick glance at their website and the big,shiny OS-compatibility button: 2k/XP would suggest...No.
    Although, they have a beta program ...
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Hey Karoma,
    I checked there website before, but not hard enough so thank you. I dont think it will work, what firewall would you recommend or is there another thread on boards that user's post there favourites? I found the one for anti-virus but not for a firewall.

thanks again..

For Vista? I honestly don't know.
    http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List#Firewalls_.2F_IDS.27s might be a starting point. So far, everyone else seems content with the built-in firewall. (Not usually a good idea mind you ;)) From past experiences: I'd avoid Norton & McAfee though. Give Kerio a shot. *shrug*

Ok, thanks for the advice. I supose its all trial and error at the moment with Vista :rolleyes:

Mostly error? :)

• Advertisement

Yes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

KasperskyIS v6 is vista compatible.
    About 36€ at softwarecasa
    Excellent AV and good FW.

Bitdefender IS v10 is Vistable too I think thats about 50 notes.

I believe Comodo free for Vista is out in April
    PCTools FW is free for Vista now.

Have a Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

get kaspersky internet security suite, have had it for years, its so good!

I used that for a months, but found zone-alarm the best. I never had any problems to date.

I will probably download that or kerio firewall. I've heard "AVAST FIREWALL" is ment to be very good according to a few friends, just wondering if anyone here is or have used it before and what they think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Didn't ZoneAlarm integrate the kaspersky firewall/anti-virus into it? The firewalls that I see a lot of pc experts recommend are Kerio, Outpost, and Comodo. Didn't even know Avast had a firewall, id probably give it a little while(assuming its new) and see what the feedback is for it. The above ones are all free i think. And ZoneAlarm is great like you said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

The inbuilt vista firewall is actually quite good with this free firewall control addon, check it out http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Didn't ZoneAlarm integrate the kaspersky firewall/anti-virus into it? The firewalls that I see a lot of pc experts recommend are Kerio, Outpost, and Comodo. Didn't even know Avast had a firewall, id probably give it a little while(assuming its new) and see what the feedback is for it. The above ones are all free i think. And ZoneAlarm is great like you said.

Outpost, Kerio and Comodo are not Vista compatible at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

hardware is best, configure your modem/router firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

the new vista firewall is actually quite agood all rounder.

you shouldn't really need to replace it with a new one.

Advertisement