Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emacs characters size and feel

Options
  • 27-03-2007 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Have anyone of you come across a small text editor that allows you to copy and cut paste with standard keys ctrl+x ctrl+y and highlight sections of text for cutting using the shift and arrow keys? ... but has a look like emacs..

I played with emacs and the interface is nice - especially the clean sharp small text that's prefect for coding (comes with syntax highlighting). VI is not bad but sometimes for copying and cutting large amounts of text can be slower.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

have you tried... VIM!

Hear the wonders of VIM in a mere 6kB: http://www.vim.org/6k/features.en.txt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Ok, I'll give VIM another shot.

Though, can you tell if you can call offhand how to highlight (or select) a section of text (say half a paragraph) and cut and paste?

I'll check out the tutorial. Basically I'm sound on using the basics on insert mode but not really on the selections or beyond deleting characters or single lines. But copying and pasting entire sections would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If you are just doing basic stuff, pico is worth a shot. Its one of the simplest ones, and even has the controls displayed down the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Blowfish wrote:
    If you are just doing basic stuff, pico is worth a shot. Its one of the simplest ones, and even has the controls displayed down the bottom.

Yeah, I remember using pico when at college - didn't you have to use the mouse to select a region of text before copying or cutting? I like emac's method of setting a mark region with the keys and then cutting a kill region.

Advertisement