Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK driving test

Options
  • 27-03-2007 11:55pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Basically, while lamenting the longevity of the Irish driving test waiting list to a friend she said "why don't you take the test in the UK? It's not as tough as the Irish one and there's no waiting list so you can sit it almost straight away." Does anyone know if this is right? Do you not need a UK provisional licence etc and if not, any pros and cons of going this route would be greatly appreciated. If someone has experience of sitting the test 'across the water' it'd be a great help. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You need a UK provisional licence to sit the test in the UK. To get a UK provisional, you'll need an address in the UK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Wow. Quick response. Cheers. I knew there had to be a catch.. and they have those lovely little wallet sized licences too, lucky things! :rolleyes:

Sure print an Irish licence out on your computer ;)

BRILLIANT plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Stark wrote:
    You need a UK provisional licence to sit the test in the UK. To get a UK provisional, you'll need an address in the UK.
    True, you'll also need to have passed a theory test in the two years prior to taking a practical test. It's not overly difficult but the hazard perception part tends to trip some people up.

• Advertisement

Ah well, I think I'll just schtick to applying in Ireland. I'm sure when I get called for the test in forty years I'll be grand!! ;)

What happened that you were waiting 3 years?

Have you tried applying for a cancelled slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stark wrote:
    What happened that you were waiting 3 years?
    Where do you see mention of 3 years Stark? :confused:

Ah, I mentioned originally that I've been on the list over three years but then re-posted an abridged version because it's a long and boring story involving cancelling the first test due to being waay too inexperienced to take it (think I'd had four lessons and had applied using the 'it'll never happen to me' logic), and being out of the country when called for the next one six months later. (I didn't bother telling the test ppl that I'd be away because I didn't think I'd be called again that soon!) Since then, I haven't driven much at all due to Lack Of Car (making no progress since I had nothing to practice in) and when called for the third time last winter I knew I was too rusty to pass (ie. I've forgotten how to drive!), especially since I don't perform well under pressure! :eek:
    So, in January I purchased a car/pile of rust with wheels, signed up for millions of driving lessons with the ISM and re-applied for the test, which I'm now waiting for. Even if I don't feel ready to pass it (I'm even more brutal now than the first time around), I'm determined to take it this time and not chicken out!! As people say "you won't pass, but sure, it'll be good experience.." :rolleyes:

For the record, I was just querying what my friend told me. As you can see, waiting ages for the test was nobody's fault but my own in case you think I'm moaning about the maaad waiting lists. However, if there was hardly any waiting time, people wouldn't apply so soon and then forget all about driving until the test date arrives in the post. (My instructor tells me this happens quite a lot!)
    See? This whole saga is why I edited down my first post. Sigh. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Karyn wrote:
    However, if there was hardly any waiting time, people wouldn't apply so soon and then forget all about driving until the test date arrives in the post.
    One major advantage of booking a UK test online/over the phone is that you can see exactly what time slots are free and book accordingly. For example, I booked my test on a weekday at 10:45am - after morning rush hour/school runs and before the lunch time rush. Probably the best time to do the test IMO ;)

Advertisement