Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€77 Dell refund for removing Vista Basic and Works 8.

• 28-03-2007 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Great News! Someone just got a refund of €77.54 (15% of this total order price) from Dell Germany for removing Vista Basic and Works 8 from their new Dell computer: http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/25/1944209&from=rss Of course he installed Ubuntu instead; good choice! :D

There was another man last year who did the same thing But this time it was even easier- it just took 2 emails for him to get his refund, and one of the emails was giving his bank details.

I definitely intend trying this if I get a new PC. I'd rather get the refund than have Linux pre-installed. Something tells me if it was pre-installed prices wouldn't go down by 15%.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

One things I always recommend to people (if they insist on buying Dell) is to spec up the Pc online then call a sales agent and tell them they don't want Office/Works. One mate of mine got €120 knocked off for not having Office preinstalled on his PC. Then he just downloaded OpenOffice and off he went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I contacted dell and they said they wont refund me that all systems are sold with an OS and you dont have a choice!

The muppet you were talking to is wrong. You can insist on one with an OS. And if you get an OS you can refuse to accept the license terms in which case they have to refund you. Call that monkey back and ask for his supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Have you done this and got refunded? Has anyone been refunded?

She told me that the OS is provided free of charge by Dell.
    She was sure about it and i questioned her as well.

Im after accepting the Licence terms now (although I havent been online) actually that doesnt matter as they can never know. Im going to go back to XP anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

A Linux user in England got a refund of £55.23 for XP Home late last year too:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6144782.stm

Ask for a supervisor or write a letter.

• Advertisement

A sales monkey sure about something technical - my world has just been shattered :D

It's not free - it's cheaper as it's an OEM version and provided a lower cost by MS to Dell. But not free. And they still can't force you to take it if you don't want it. iirc there's now an EU regulation that forces them to provide vanilla machines if you request one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I think there are some factors that may affect your position when seeking a refund such as how long you've had the PC. The people who were successful in getting a refund did not accept the licence agreement that appeared on first switching on their PC. Instead they put the a Linux CD into the CD drawer, formatted the entire hard drive and installed Linux. They also documented everything (i.e took photos, made a written record of what they were doing, time, date etc...) Then they contacted Dell, told them that they didn't want the pre-installed OS and software and did not accept the licence agreements and got a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Dell already sell desktop PCs with no operating system: http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&redirect=1, poke around a bit to find it on the irish one.

Dell has been selling OSless servers for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

I've yet to hear of anyone in Ireland confirm that you can get a refund.

Has ANYONE here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Did anyone in Ireland ever manage to get this refund?
    Or is it just a german thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I was contacted by someone who got a refund for Vista from Dell Ireland, although for an amount less than €77.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Have you done this and got refunded? Has anyone been refunded?

Im after accepting the Licence terms now (although I havent been online) actually that doesnt matter as they can never know. Im going to go back to XP anyway.

Yeah, someone working for Dell (a friend, not in a professional context) told me that as well! Windows, the free operating system provided by Dell! LOL! I'll take 1000 free copies of windows vista ultimate please. Actually when you order the thing, the price is included on the breakdown sheet. Sad thing is I woudn't be suprised if a lot of people thought that it was "free" :/

Advertisement