Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console or PC gaming?

Options
  • 28-03-2007 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Im looking at getting into gaming but not sure which I would prefer, PC or console. I really like the ideas of LANs so I am leaning more towards PCs. Was just wondering which one is more popular on boards?

Do you game mostly on... 74 votes

Console
    0%
    PC
    33%
    whitetrashD-GenerateDont be at yourselfKristoksuper_furryKaromaTheAlmightyArseCrucifixGrayareaquarrymansteviecskywalkertoxofmcgovernlardboyrobinphmicksK.O.Kikistev2604SamoZlo 25 votes
    Both equally
    66%
    StephenStevenDustazSputnikpo0kThe_KeeperMossy MonkKintarō HattoriTheFatPugsleykaimeraneGevSlutmonkey57bDcullyNevyntuxyZillahjonskimagickJohnK 49 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

PC
    Got myself an xbox hokked up to xbox live, really works a whole lot better than any game I've played on PC. My PC is newer than my 360 and cost considerably more, but it's already outdated and has trouble even with games like Company of Heroes, whereas the xbox is only just hitting it's stride.

I've not had any problem with reliability, setup or customer service with my xbox so I'm not planning on moving back to PC gaming anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

PC
    I find too many buttons confusing. Console FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Both equally
    Console gaming will always be popular. But just as with pop music, just because many people like something does not mean you will.

& thats just it, it all really depends on what kind of gaming your into.

Have you played games before? What kind of games are you into? What things do you like most/want to see more of in games?

Are you more into online gaming?

If your just getting started I would recommend a console I guess. PC gaming tends to be more for the hard core.

Unless you mainly wanna play something like an RTS for example, then I would recommed a pc...

Sports/beat 'em ups etc?

console ftw.

**edit**

Also its worth noting if your not very "computer savvy" ie the idea of buildign your own PC sounds as daunting as building a car, then I was adivse you consider against PC gaming.
    Unless of course your only into a specific type of gaming experience that only a pc can provide that is.

I can run Company of Heroes on my over 2 year old PC perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Both for me.

What kind of games do you personally like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Both equally
    PC Mainly for me, but i play some games on consoles that may not come out on PC or may be exclusive on console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

PC
    Console for me. No games out on the pc right now good enough really.

SSX Blur, Motorstorm and Resistance right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Both equally
    FPS, Strategy/Management = PC
    Sports, Beat-em-ups = Console
    Driving = Either (I prefer PC though)
    Free games = PC
    Classics = PC

Just my $0.02

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

whitetrash wrote:
    Console for me. No games out on the pc right now good enough really.

God i could argue with that...but i wont bother. As for Console or Pc, i like a bit of both. Its almost totally Pc atm, as i dont have a 360, wii or ps3, so theres very little i want to play (bar maybe god of war 2). Quite happy playing Football Manager 2007, FEAR extraction point, and Supreme Commander now.

I'm gonna buy a Wii soon (once i get my first pay cheque), and either a 360 or a ps3 in two-to-three months when i get my US taxback. Leaning towards a ps3, as i've already cleared Gears of War (quite short actually).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Both equally
    why dont u just buy both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

magick wrote:
    why dont u just buy both ?

Maybe they aren't loaded.

PC for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

PC
    Console for me. Ive tried to get into PC gaming in the past but I just cant be arsed with all the messing around with settings etc or getting a game home to find that it doesnt work properly on my graphics card. Im just lazy really so consoles FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Both equally
    Completely depends on what type of games you want to play.
    Free games = PC
    Classics = PC
    Add to that:
    RPG = Either
    MMO = PC

Also, you can play online with a console, but if online play is your thing then pc gaming is a lot more evolved when it comes to that sort of thing. And youll never be able to lan with a console but youll never be able to play a pc game with your mates after the pub.

Dont get put off by the guff about having to build a pc. Apart from some graphics card updates (when i wanted to squeeze some performance from my old old old pc) and the odd periodical patch, i never really have to fluff around with my pc to play any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Both equally
    Pc gaming for moi.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Both equally
    <3 PC.

I have a 360 too but I use the PC way, way more. Also, paying to play multiplayer on the xbox just pisses me off when its been free for years on the PC - especially where you have high quality dedicated servers for many PC games and most console games are done peer to peer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Both equally
    Had a PS2 and360,just got bored of both within days and straight back to online gaming on pc.
    Not a chance ill be getting a PS3
    PC is simply unbeatable in my opinion.

PC:

Driving - racing sims on pc rock,i hate arcade crap on consoles

RTS - only one winner here

MMO - again only one winner

FPS - and yet again

Online gaming - and again only one winner :)

Console:

pro evo soccer and similar titles and thats it for me, oh i have pro evo on pc too :)

As was said above,dont read into that crap about having to upgrade all the time,build a PC and your set for 3 years easily with the odd periodic upgrade that is not expensive.

Just my opinion on the matter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Both equally
    Sabre0001 wrote:
    Free games = PC
    Classics = PC

Just my $0.02
    if nintendo get their act together they could really be up their with the pc with their wii and FPS games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Both equally
    Well I have both, but at the minute I prefer the pc, it has most of the games that come out for consoles but with better graphics and more stuff! Kinda depends on what games you'll be wanting to play, as some work better on pc or on a console like others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

primarily consider myself a PC gamer (though i play the same few games over and over), but since getting the PS3 i've gone a few days without even thinking about CSS or BF2/2142...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

it was mainly pc for me until the laptop started to struggle and i was having less and less free time to play. Now it xbox360 for all new games and the pc for the older games it can handle like bf2 and some strategy games.
    Cant justify buying myself a new pc for gaming anymore and games on a 32"(+) tv at 720p are just glorious!

one thing you could if ye dont have a HD tv already is instead of blowing all the money on an uber pc, buy a HD tv and console. You'll get more out of it imo than just a pc. a cheapo dell is more than enough to internet browsing, console will cover your gaming needs and tv will cover tv and dvd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Both equally
    Pc;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

Both equally
    PC by far, solely down to their being better graphics and that the games will always be more advanced on the PC's. Sports games are better on consoles i think tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Both equally
    PC of course;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

PC
    Console - because console games sell better and make more money, more cash is put into developing console games and the best and brightest developers work on consoles in general - and that's surely the most important ingredient of any game.

There are obviously exceptions, and certain genres work well on one or the other, but overall consoles tend to make better games machines, that's what they're designed to do after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Both equally
    PCs by far, just look at the video below and weep console fanboys

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/9865

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Console without a second thought. No hassle installing games, worrying about upgrades or patches, or system requirements. Just straight out of the box gaming... I was a PC gamer for many years so this isn't just a fanboy statement, its just something you begin to realise when you can't play HL2 because of Steam.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Both equally
    its just something you begin to realise when you can't play HL2 because of Steam.

Steam is fine for me and millions more dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Both equally
    PC without question. Did the whole console bit as far as the PS2, but the variety, price, customisability, upgradeability of games for PC can't be equalled with one console. Now maybe if you had all the consoles.......

Also, for the price of a PS3 and decent TV you'd get a nice PC and can do your cv on it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Thers good and bad points to both, you gotta figure out what games you want and what you can get for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Both equally
    PC, Wii, DS, GameCube, heavily modded xbox.

• Advertisement
Advertisement