Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreams are made of this (14mb broadband)

Options
  • 28-03-2007 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Took me 11 seconds to download a 25mb podcast from timesonline.co.uk (am in Oxford for a few days)

Compare this to the speed and cost (a considerable whack every month) for a 3mb connection in my office in Dublin plus the only option at home which is (and probably ever will be if someone doesn't pull their finger out) 56k dialup....

Anger...:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

We can only dream.

I think they actually enjoy their finger in. Only explanation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Yeah, I'm in college in Limerick IT and it's the same speed here. Would love it at home. All I get is 1Mb!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However milage varies. Many servers are throttled to about 700kbps per connection. Some servers less. The only place I see much difference in speed is using ftp.heanet.ie when on very high speed compared with homebroad band. Also the further away from a server, the less likelyhood of getting its and your full speed.

I hate to say it but P2P probably benefits the most above 3Mbps. Skype file transfers, Bittorrant, Sky Anytime Broadband, Joost and such like. Or self hosting a web server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

Try using ftp.heanet.ie when you are actually using their network (most Irish universities/ITs/etc.). They provide TCD with a 1Gb connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

i live in dublin , but am fortunate to have 8mb fibre connection, i constantly download at 1000 -1400KB/s which should be a 10 - 14mb connection, and on average depending on site can download approx 100mb a minute :eek: :D

i know this doesn't apply to most of the country but it does exist in our small part of the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭skorn

presume you (bungholio) are with Magnet
    8MB down
    8MB up
    150GB cap (I think)
    +tv / tel
    for €83/month
    :eek:
    but only available to a few fibre optic serviced estates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yeah i suppose 14mb is alright...

106031228.png

i love college :D !!!

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I believe parts of Hong Kong have 40mb connections now. You could watch TV/Movies on demand while downloading 10 torrents, browsing 30 web pages, and still enough bandwidth to post here on this forum and brag about it. :D

Some parts of Germany have 20mb+ connections as well according to some work colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I believe parts of Hong Kong have 40mb connections now. You could watch TV/Movies on demand while downloading 10 torrents, browsing 30 web pages, and still enough bandwidth to post here on this forum and brag about it. :D

Some parts of Germany have 20mb+ connections as well according to some work colleagues.
    I think I remember "Click" the BBC News 24 tech magazine program did a piece on Hong Kong recently. 72mb home broadband!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

I know in a lot of Holland up to 24Mbit in the home is quite common and more importantly extrememly cheap (sub 20 euro per month), anybody dare to hazard a comment as to why Ireland is lagging so significantly behind the rest of Europe as to broadband quality and quantity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Government used to tell us it was lack of demand. They have gone quiet on that. We all know why there is low penetration < 10% and poorer speeds than similar OECD countries. Even RTE had an news item about it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Go here and see, it seems Eircom has us by the short and curlies.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0329/broadband.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

All that report is tell us what we the public have known all along but hopefully now that Europe is taking a lot more interest in the whole affair something might finally be done about it.

skorn wrote:
    presume you (bungholio) are with Magnet
    8MB down
    8MB up
    150GB cap (I think)
    +tv / tel
    for €83/month
    :eek:
    but only available to a few fibre optic serviced estates

yep i sure do, however the cap doesnt actualy apply on magnet,not that i regurlarly go over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Blistering fast connection in WIT too, was 45Mb Symetric, now its 1Gbps. I love that, makes for excellent downloads, I remember hearing the guys in CS bragging about how they were uploading a 4Gig file in under 5seconds, and downloading it again, just to test the speed.

In South Korea, 24Meg DSL is the norm, as most appartment blocks have their own DSL-enabled exchanges. Many places can also avail of 100Meg connections and some homes even have 1Gbps connections :eek:

If I had a 1Gbps symetric connection, I dont even know what I would do with it besides what I normally use the internet for.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

If I had a 1Gbps symetric connection, I dont even know what I would do with it besides what I normally use the internet for.

Owning a car that can do 155MPH seems pointless too when you can only do a max of 75MPH on our roads but sure it's nice to have anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dreambiz

LFCFan wrote:
    Owning a car that can do 155MPH seems pointless too when you can only do a max of 75MPH on our roads but sure it's nice to have anyway :p

It's called HEADROOM. It's good to have it there when you evenually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Sweden has had 100mbit FTTH for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

I was all happy about ditching my exorbitant €54 per month "broadband max/pro" or whatever ridiculous superlative €ircon are using for it these days and going with NTL €39.99 6mbs until I hear about this. Tbh honest though I think there's something endemic to Irish society about getting what we pay for (or not) booze, food, public transport etc, though that's a discussion for another forum.

Sweden has had 100mbit FTTH for years...

true and apparantly they are resonably priced as well, magnet can offer 100MB broadband here in dublin as well (fibre developments), but will have to go business package route and probably pay serious money :( :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement