Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in the states.

Options
  • 28-03-2007 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to America, New Jersey to be exact and am just wondering is there any point bringing my drivers license. Is it excepted over there or do i need the IDP?

Also does anyone know of any car hiring companies that don't have an age requirement. I'm only 20 :(

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Some US insurance companies accepted Irish licenses back in '96 when I moved over, though I could not tell you if they still do. Best bet would be to phone around.

I did get screwed on the rate until I had a US license, so you would be better off getting a Jersey license as soon as possible.

I wouldn't worry about an IDP, as it just contains translations into other languages of the information on your real license. As the Irish license is already in English, you won't need it.

Where in Jersey are you moving? In some of the larger cities, you could get away without a car for a while, though most of Jersey is suburban office parks, so most likely you will need to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

If you bring your Irish Licence you can bring it to the DMV and they will grant you a US Licence. They gave my friend who had an Irish provisional licence and had never driven before a full US licence because they did not understand what the word provisional meant!

I rented a car from this crowd in South Amboy, New Jersey to drive across the country, they were the cheapest I could find: http://www.autoteamusa.com/

At the time I was also looking for a place that did rentals for young people with no extra fee. Their limit is 21 (which was the lowest I could find, most are 25/26+) but you might be able to bargain with them.

Have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

blobert wrote:
    If you bring your Irish Licence you can bring it to the DMV and they will grant you a US Licence.

interesting,i didnt think they would change an irish licence,i know they will change a german one.

can anyone else confirm they do this?cus it will save me a lot of trouble when i move there if they do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

it all depends on the state, every state has thier own laws regarding it.
    You can not get insurance with an international license in Ohio, it must be issued in the states and then if moving to ohio you have 30 days to change it to an ohio license. ( I am an insurance agent ;) )
    So you see, its importanat to know someone in or read up on the laws in whatever state you are moving to ;)

beat any chance you would know if i will be able to do a straight swop when i move to michigan?
    i cant seem to find an answer to this.

thanks in advance for your reply :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When I lived in Nevada it was a big no no. Had to do their stupid test again. :)

sorry sobo I forgot to check on that, busy busy here... send me a pm sometime and remind me again and I will see what I can find for ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

As BEAT says, it depends on the State. In CT, I did a multiple choice test on a computer, 20 questions, got them right and then got my shiny new license.

You should really call NJ dmv/mvc:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

updated...all info for NJ is here:
    http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/LicensesNon-Citizens.htm

well tbh NJ can only tell you about NJ, he has to contact someone in MI

Id think typing something in your search engine abot michigan insurance laws, and driving laws should bring up a fair amount of information.

damn email updates wernt working,thanks for all the replies i was looking on the dmv website of michigan and cant find anything out.

i guess ill wait and see when im there,thanks again all

• Advertisement
Advertisement