Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 unlimited broadband working on Windows Mobile

• 28-03-2007 8:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭

Just got a 3 sim with the unlimited data add on and it works fine on windows mobile 5.

As some symbian phone users pointed out already non http\https ports are blocked.

I can surf the web and use rss reader no problem.

I have my device fixed in 3G mode so not to draw myself to the attention of 3.

It will be interesting to see will they warn me for not using one of their phones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

How can they warn you for not using one of their phones? You can use whatever phone you want surely.. no network has an embargo on what handset you use.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Its_time_to_buy_SIM-free_phones.php
    Myth 1: "You have to buy a phone from a network operator, it won't work otherwise"

And the truth is: People can buy a phone from anyone, just like they do with cars. Unlocked phones work at least as well (and often even better) than locked ones, phone network operators do not and cannot prevent unlocked phones using their network.

As long as a phone conforms to the current GSM standard and operates on the correct frequencies for the continent it's being used in (European/Asian phones in Europe and Asia, Americas phones in North and South America, tri -band or quad-band phones work anywhere), the phone will work on any SIM card from any GSM network. It doesn't matter whether the operators of those networks want it to or not, in fact it doesn't matter if the operators have even heard of the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

quintron wrote:
    How can they warn you for not using one of their phones? You can use whatever phone you want surely.. no network has an embargo on what handset you use.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055070745

and....?
    that links to a thread collation of online rants and chinese whispers which I would certainly take with a grain of salt.. not as gospel!
    FFS loads of people including myself have used non 3 "certified" handsets on their 3 account. It wasn't blocked, it didn't explode... no mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

quintron wrote:
    and....?
    that links to a thread collation of online rants and chinese whispers which I would certainly take with a grain of salt.. not as gospel!
    FFS loads of people including myself have used non 3 "certified" handsets on their 3 account. It wasn't blocked, it didn't explode... no mystery.
    Apparently it HAS happened.. I don't know about the percentage or anything, but it has indeed been incidents. Not a scientific research, but what advantage do all these people have of lying about it? And if it's not lies, then it is a problem - why do they eg GLUE the sim card to the phone. I was very critical of 3 when I read that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I can't say any of my 3 sims have been glued to the phones. That doesn't seem true at all.

• Advertisement

I have read that 3 in the UK are planning to glue sim cards into prepaid entry level handsets which I certainly don't agree with. Their thinly veiled excuse is frankly pathetic BUT that doesn't automatically infer that you can't use your high end handset with 3..
    This is an important distinction.
    Its 3UK also. I highly doubt they would get away with it in such a small vocal Irish market.. especially not with forums like these around....

And to answer the question as to what advantage to people have by lying about issues on other forums?
    They want to vent, they are pissed off and they'll write anything, exaggerate the truth etc. They then feel better. Many times they are usually very much mis-informed or, bless them, a bit thick. They expect services to work like magic without realizing where technology is at currently. There are limitations to todays services and handsets.

They are the average consumer which is totally fine except.. it does lead to a lot of muck on forums, mis-communication and mis-information which in turn is fed into other forums and the cycle continues. People take board comments as facts regularly, but of course it doesn't mean that its true...

I'm not saying people are lying, some may be, but others are just clueless in fairness.
    They seek forums to find answers, already annoyed post rash comments and the mis-information spreads.
    You don't get people posting simply to say how happy they are with their device/service out of the blue so proportionally on any forum it will be dealing with customer grievances.
    Again I'd take all comments with a grain of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

leahcim wrote:
    Just got a 3 sim with the unlimited data add on and it works fine on windows mobile 5.

Do you have settings for accessing the 3 online services from your WM5 device? I have both a 3 USIM and a pocket PC, but I don't have the settings so the only thing I can do is talk and text.

I'd really appreciate if you could tell me how you do it!:eek:

Advertisement