Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband installation

Options
  • 28-03-2007 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I ordered eircom broadband last Wed 21st. I'm going away somewhere for a week and I haven't received the router yet. I'm just curious to know what the installation entails because I'm wondering if my younger brother would be capable of installing it while I'm away should the router arrive. Is it simple enough? I'd appreciate if someone could explain it to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

hi Dave,

installation is easy. you get a guide in the box. locating the dsl filters is important though. where the main phone cable enters the house off the street requires a filter. one side is for phones and the other is for your modem.

connect from the modem side of the filter into the smaller socket [on its own] on the modem (usually a black or purple cable). then connect the network cable between the modem and network card on your PC (usually a yellow or blue cable). Plug the modem power supply in and switch on.

Wait about 5mins for the connection with eircom to establish. On the PC, click Start->run. type cmd and press enter. type ipconfig /all at the flashing cursor. A list of info will come up something like 192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0,192.168.1.254 Good so far.

Next type ping google.ie and press enter. If you get a result like this:

Pinging google.ie [66.249.93.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=248
    Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=248
    Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=68ms TTL=248
    Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=248

Ping statistics for 66.249.93.104:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 68ms, Maximum = 72ms, Average = 69ms

You're sorted. If not, you will probably see a red light on the modem under 'internet' and 'dsl' will be green. If so, ring eircom and make sure your broadband has been activated.

Advertisement