Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody else sick of Roy Keane ?

• 28-03-2007 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I know all you Manc supporters think he is the best thing since sliced bread and so your judgement will be fairly clouded,but the rest of you supporters are you getting a pain in the neck with him ?

I certainly am- the way he is moaning all the time about Staunton(FAI should never have apointed hm) or Given or this Anti-Cork thing etc etc.

The Irish team is nothing to do with im now and as far as im concerned his walking out on the team in Saipan says it all to me. So what if the facilities or the equipment was crap - its Ireland not Man United. He should have put up with it and got on with it instead of moaning and walking out and complained to the FA when he got home or gone public after the World Cup.

Even the fact that Man United have played much better and the players seem happier since he left them a a few years ago. He tried to intimidate his own players and it backfired because in the latter years they got worse the players did because of him.

He has to much to say and imo should keep his mouth closed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

oh here we go again......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I am a Liverpool Fan.

I completely disagree with you. In my opinion he should have seen the World Cup through and then retired from the International scene while kicking up a massive fuss at the same time. He made a mistake. He came back eventually and gave one last magnificent performance against France at Lawnsdowne. The Irish team enjoyed better facilities and preperation in the last World Cup Campaign under Kerr than any other Irish team received before them. Do we beat Switzerland with a fit Keane on the field??

The current team is an absolute shambles. There is no player in the current squad that is performing even close to the levels Keane reached in an Irish jersey. As long as this continues, and as long as the FAI continues to underperform and do themselves and the fans a gross injustice he has the right to complain. He earned that right to complain with heroic perfomances (Portugal at home in 2001?).

And much of what he says is bang on by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

I dont think he should have said what he said about Given publicly as Given is a terrific player who has always done his best.

However, I agree with almost everything he has to say. I even agree with the anti-Cork suggestion a well. There is no doubt that at underage level, dublin players are given preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Lloyd you have gone into a tizzy and completely off topic,im not questioning him as a player,im questioning the way he goes on ranting and raving like a lunatic.

He is still bitter that he messed up and missed out on the World Cup 2002 by walking out.
    And as someone else said elsewhere,isnt it ironic that he prevented Colin Helay a fellow Corkman from going.

Keane who played 3 out of the 14 qualifiers for the Euro 96 and did as Alex Ferguson said - very patriotic Roy.

Just because he was a great footballer doesnt give him the right to mouth off and rant the way he does like a demented lunatic.

Gazza was a great footballer, -would you listen to what he has to say ? NO

Maradona also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

*Sigh*

I'm not sick of Roy. I'm sick of the media jumping on every word RK says and making news about it.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote:
    *Sigh*

I'm not sick of Roy. I'm sick of the media jumping on every word RK says and making news about it.

but thats because what he is saying is complete and utter bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

LFC5Times wrote:
    I know all you Manc supporters think he is the best thing since sliced bread and so your judgement will be fairly clouded,but the rest of you supporters are you getting a pain in the neck with him ?

I certainly am

Do you not think your own opinion is a bit clouded being an LFC fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Roy Keane is a past Irish captain, and as such he is entitled to say what he wants IMO.

It's also not his fault that the media decide to go mental with everything he says.

I do wonder if the Given quotes are slightly out of context or something though...they do seem very odd.

LFC5Times wrote:
    Lloyd you have gone into a tizzy and completely off topic,im not questioning him as a player,im questioning the way he goes on ranting and raving like a lunatic.

Just because he was a great footballer doesnt give him the right to mouth off and rant the way he does like a demented lunatic.

Gazza was a great footballer, -would you listen to what he has to say ? NO

Maradona also.

I am not off topic. I am arguing that he has earned the right to give his opinion on Irish football as he is one of the greatest players to ever pull on an Irish jersey. This is relevant to the point you are making.

Gazza and Maradonna are bad comparisons as they have massive personal problems and are hardly the most articulate or engaging of speakers.

Stovelid has it right - Keane is allowed to speak out. The media just doesn't need to fawn all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Roy Keane has as much right as you to have a go at any aspect of the irish set up, probably more considering he actually has experience of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Just like we are entitled to opinions, so is he...Only his is publicised more for obvious reasons!

I agree with most of what he says - the Irish set up is a shambles, as is the Irish attitude (football wise). For example, Rugby, Cricket, Squash, Boxing and many other sports (Derbhal O'R) are producing champions or people looking at matches and wanting to win...No opposition is too large or scary.

All he wanted was a professional approach towards the sport. Many other nations don't even take finishing second well but yet the FAI are perfectly happy with us losing and struggling against minnows! And the grassroots set-up is completely ignored too...

Now not all of what Roy Keane has to say is gospel but there are wise words behind some of the mire...

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

LFC5Times wrote:

I certainly am- the way he is moaning all the time about Staunton(FAI should never have apointed hm) or Given or this Anti-Cork thing etc etc.

The Irish team is nothing to do with im now and as far as im concerned his walking out on the team in Saipan says it all to me. So what if the facilities or the equipment was crap - its Ireland not Man United. He should have put up with it and got on with it instead of moaning and walking out and complained to the FA when he got home or gone public after the World Cup.

Even the fact that Man United have played much better and the players seem happier since he left them a a few years ago. He tried to intimidate his own players and it backfired because in the latter years they got worse the players did because of him.

He has to much to say and imo should keep his mouth closed.

Why do you have to mention Saipan? What has that got to do with anything? HE WAS SENT HOME! _SENT_ "SO I SENT HIM HOME"-Mick McCarthy

Do you have any quote's from any united player that state's he's "happier" now becasue RK has left? if by happier he can be a lazier player and get away with playing like an idiot twice a month and demand higher wages for doing so, then you're probably right.

Are you sick of the media printing every single word that comes out of Roy's mouth, or are you a heart broken Liverpool fan that never got to see one of the hardest working footballers in the world in a Liverpool shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

i agree with some of the things keano has to say but sometimes he just goes over the top and on a rant when he shouldnt really. of course he is intitaled to his opinion as he did captin ireland and im sure he still supports ireland even if he does not agree or like a lot of what is goin on.
    and also because its mr. keane who says anything we will no about it and it will can be blown out of proportion, like the given comments. if keano farted the media would let the whole country no how bad it smelled :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ntlbell wrote:
    Why do you have to mention Saipan? What has that got to do with anything? HE WAS SENT HOME! _SENT_ "SO I SENT HIM HOME"-Mick McCarthy

Do you have any quote's from any united player that state's he's "happier" now becasue RK has left? if by happier he can be a lazier player and get away with playing like an idiot twice a month and demand higher wages for doing so, then you're probably right.

Are you sick of the media printing every single word that comes out of Roy's mouth, or are you a heart broken Liverpool fan that never got to see one of the hardest working footballers in the world in a Liverpool shirt.
    According to rumours, and reading between the lines of interviews i have seen - United is a happier, more together place, this season; because Ruud left, not Roy.

I do think Keane leaving has been good for United though - other players have to take on more responsibility, and Scholes is playing a lot better with Carrick then he did in the last season and a half with Keane, Scholes is noticably more involved in the team, and is playing further forward - he became very defensive as Keane's hip disintergrated (not that he could actually tackle...)

ntlbell wrote:

I feel slightly uncomfortable agreeing with the likes of you however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

66 appearences (A good lot of those as captain too) and 9 goals somewhat entitle you to an opinion on your country.

As for the Given comments, I'd imagine they weren't quoted verbatim by that bastion of truth, the sun. A little twist here and there probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I've been sick of Roy Keane for oh about 15 years now. Doesn't make him go away nor does it make any of the things he says less true.

Remember, Roy was groomed by 3 great managers: Big Jack, Cloughie and Fergie all of whom were outspoken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think its no coincidence that everytime i see or hear Keane in an interview he comes across very well and makes very good points, but when its printed he comes across as a raving lunatic with a chip on his shoulder. im gonna take what is printed with a pinch of salt, as even if comments are correctly quoted, they can be takin out of context very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LFC5Times wrote:
    but thats because what he is saying is complete and utter bull.

There's whole mountains of bullsh*t spoken in the soccer world every day :D

It's international week and there is a media frenzy around Stan. Anything RK says will be recycled endlessly by the media.

As for what RK said, I didn't see the actual comments about Given. It sounds a bit churlish for sure but again, it shouldn't really be front page news in a very important international week.

A (great) ex player has every right to point out that some of the senior players have been found wanting against mediocre opposition. A little bit of their salary and talent and I could take a bit of criticism on the chin myself. The Cork comments were a bit daft but as has been pointed out here, they was probably motivated by Keane's own managerial reasons. Jose M and Fergie do this all the time.
    LFC5Times wrote:

Even the fact that Man United have played much better and the players seem happier since he left them a a few years ago.

They have played better than the teams of 93 -2001 that Keane was an integral part of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's true the media are latching onto his every word and anything in The Sun has to always be taken with the proverbial pinch of salt.

But he really should be minding his own business at this stage. He's doing a great job at Sunderland and should just concentrate on that. He seems a bit too willing to offer an opinion on everything and everyone these days.

Much of what he says may be true but is it really his place to be saying it now? The comments about Cork players were odd to say the least, and he really ought to leave Shay Given alone. Given has been our most consistent player over the past number of years, second only to Roy himself in his importance to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Personally I've only been sick of him for the past 4 3/4 years. At least before then he let his feet do the talking, not his mouth.

He even made me lose faith in Kerr after he weaseled his way back into the squad for the WC qualifiers. As soon as Kerr got the job RK should have been banging the door down to play for Ireland again but instead he more or less did a "come over here and beg me" act with the manager before deciding to 'honour' us with his (now ineffective) presene in the Ireland team. Kerr was worse fool to play along tho.

If RK's ever appointed manager of the Ireland team I'm going to stop following them for the duration of his tenure.

Pretty certain that will happen and if things stay the same it'll be a case of "WELCOME HOME!!!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'm with Pigman II on this one. Keane is in an ideal position to talk about Staunton - he can say what he likes and not have to back it up. Staunton may be a screw up, but at least he will live or die by his actions.

I don't like Keane the man, as a footballer he was gifted, if thuggish, and would not support one of his teams.

So, OP, yes, other people are sick of him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I'm with Pigman & Nipplenuts on this one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I actually cannot stand the man anymore.

I dont care if he was ex captain, what gives him the right to slag off our senior players when he walked out on his own country. All that anti cork stuff is the biggest pile of búll**** i have ever heard, when i saw that interview i coudlnt help but laugh, he made an idiot of himself, if there was such an 'anti cork' thing going on then why is Stephen Ireland playing?
    He is manager of a championship team and he should concentrate on that, he should keep his nose where it belongs.
    He was being extremely unprofessional when saying those comments and just proves that becoming a manager still hasnt restricted his ego.

Pigman II wrote:
    He even made me lose faith in Kerr after he weaseled his way back into the squad for the WC qualifiers. As soon as Kerr got the job RK should have been banging the door down to play for Ireland again but instead he more or less did a "come over here and beg me" act with the manager before deciding to 'honour' us with his (now ineffective) presene in the Ireland team. Kerr was worse fool to play along tho.

If RK's ever appointed manager of the Ireland team I'm going to stop following them for the duration of his tenure.

You obviously didn't watch the two qualification games against France then. His performance at home was particularly awe inspiring - he basically just crushed a lot. The team was visibly lessened in the games he was unfit and unable to play in.

Secondly, I would have thought that for any true supporter, following your nation's football team was non - optional. What a silly little statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Roy Keane:

- was absent for 80 of the 146 international matches that occurred between his debut and retirement despite being more less guarenteed a starting place during the entire term

- walks out on his country in front of the watching world.

- publicly critisises Ireland set-up despite not even *watching* games (he freely admitted he didn't even watch San Marino away , and has probably missed many other games too truth be told).

He must have invented the notion of an optional supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Pigman II wrote:
    Roy Keane:

- was absent for 80 of the 146 international matches that occurred between his debut and retirement despite being more less guarenteed a starting place during the entire term

- walks out on his country in front of the watching world.

- publicly critisises Ireland set-up despite not even *watching* games (he freely admitted he didn't even watch San Marino away , and has probably missed many other games too truth be told).

He must have invented the notion of an optional supporter.

- a number of which were friendlies and others for which he was injured. He did have a lot of injuries over the years.

- he was right, it's been debated time and again and the two sides will never meet, but he was right to do so.

- he doesn't have to watch the San Marino game to know that if we only won 2-1 with a goal in injury time that it was a total fcuk up.

His comments about players from Cork and criticising given could have been delivered in a better way, but he is still one of the best footballing minds in football today. The evidence of that is what he has done so far with Sunderland, so when Roy Keane speaks it's always worth listening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Didn't McCarthy kick Keane out of the World cup squad? Never knew he "walked out"...

What Iago said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Roy who ?

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Didn't McCarthy kick Keane out of the World cup squad? Never knew he "walked out"...

No he didnt according to Roy Keane when interviewed by the Dunphy show live on TV - "He walked out of the squad" - straight from the horses mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This debate has already happened, if this is are you sick of ROy then fine, but if it turns into another did he walk (as he himself has said) or was he pushed (as he also said) debate then it will be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Secondly, I would have thought that for any true supporter, following your nation's football team was non - optional. What a silly little statement.
    I find it odd that you say that while in the process of trying to defend Roy Keane, a man that has said on many occasions doesn't watch the Ireland matches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Roy Keane is in danger of becoming an albatross around the neck of Irish football, in the same way that Maggie Thatcher hung around the British Tories for years and effectively crippled them.
    At best, he's a nuisance. I think the part he will live to regret most is his cynical, spiteful and pointless attack on Shay Given, who, for me, was the hero at Croker yesterday.
    Keane probably would make an excellent international manager, but if he prefers to stay on Niall Quinn's daft SundIreland bandwagon, then he should simply shut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Personally i don't think it was an attack on Given, just other lads not getting an opportunity during friendlies.

Given was superb yesterday, but so were the 4 defenders in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

That's harsh! I also think he might make a good national manager one day, but he should be forced to prove himself at club level first. 20 years or so should do it. No one wants another innocent like SS or a lost at sea like England have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I am an Aston Villa fan and a former ABU, yet to me Roy Keane always personified everything i love about the sport. the problem with Roy Keane though is not what he says (as he almost always tends to be right) its that he cant help but vocalise himself. But he is what Ireland are still adjusting to life without, a man not afraid to speak his mind, call out those underpreforming and lead by example.

i welcome hearing his opinion, but not those who take it too seriously. Trust me though when Roy Keane is happy with the Irish set-up so will we be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pigman II wrote:
    Personally I've only been sick of him for the past 4 3/4 years. At least before then he let his feet do the talking, not his mouth.

100% spot on.

• Advertisement

100% spot on.

No it isn't. How was Keane's presence ineffective? That's a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

100% spot on.

How is it spot on?

Kerr should not of had to beg him, but half the FAI should of went on live television on bended knee and pleaded with him to come back and play for Ireland.

I can't for a second understand the nonsense that goes on this forum half the time I'm pretty sure 75% of you haven't a notion about football, don't play football, and follow football so you will have something to gossip about in work/school.

Roy Keane sacrificed HIMSELF for the good of Irish football, have you any idea how hard it would of being to do something like that? The hurt? The fans turning against him because they were too f*cking stupid to realise it was there own good.

Roy Keane was a footballing genuis, he had a footballing brain that will probably never ever be matched by another Irish player or world player for that matter.

He was SENT home SENT SENT SENT SENT SENT.

It has nothing to do with his lack of love or compassion for his country.

If men in this country were half the man Roy Keane was this would be a great country to live in, less pink shirt D4 west brit moronic idiots.

Testify NTL. Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I'm a Manc, so maybe I'm biased. I think with Roy Keane, you know what you are going to get. He is brutally honest. He may not always be right, but he does have the courage of his convictions.

And whatever he did in the past, be it right or wrong, he's learned from it. He is proving to be a great manager.

Will he be manager of Ireland one day? Or will he manage Manchester United first?

I'll bet he does at least one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ntlbell wrote:

If men in this country were half the man Roy Keane was this would be a great country to live in, less pink shirt D4 west brit moronic idiots.

eh no. Instead everyone would go around kicking people for some petty stupid grudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

No me.
    I worship the ground he walks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

Livvie wrote:
    Will he be manager of Ireland one day? Or will he manage Manchester United first?

I'll bet he does at least one of them.

I bet he does both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

horseflesh wrote:
    I bet he does both.

I think so too.

I hope Sunderland get promoted so we can see how he does in the EPL. The man seems to be a great motivator, which has to be an essential. It doesn't matter how good a manager is at the technical stuff, or at finding great players. If they can't motivate, they'll likely fail.

I love Roy Keane. I don't always like the way he's behaved, but he was a great player, driven by passion and perfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

LFC5Times wrote:

The Irish team is nothing to do with im now and as far as im concerned his walking out on the team in Saipan says it all to me. So what if the facilities or the equipment was crap - its Ireland not Man United.

It is nothing to do with him but the media ask his opinion and he answers their questions.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

LFC5Times wrote:
    No he didnt according to Roy Keane when interviewed by the Dunphy show live on TV - "He walked out of the squad" - straight from the horses mouth.
    McCarthy said on live tv that he kicked Keane out of the squad. What's your point?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement