Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New windows - alu-wood vs timber?

Options
  • 28-03-2007 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi, we are replacing old alumnium windows in our house. just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on alu-wood vs regular timber windows.

the difference in price is quite massive, and i dont know whether the extra expense is justified... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

What's alu wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joolsdeb

Its a timber window with powder coated aluminium on the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

joolsdeb wrote:
    the difference in price is quite massive, and i dont know whether the extra expense is justified... :confused:

It's the difference between never having to do any outside maintenance....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'm not a great one for aluminium or PVC windows myself for aesthetic reasons. Though I can see they make sense from a maintenance point of view.

I think you have to decide based on the houses around you. If everyone around has a basic pvc or aluminium window there's no point in spending a pile of money on something expensive that sticks out and doesn't look right. It won't pay off in the long term

I went for larch myself with a rim of aluminium at the base of the glass to deflect water and presumably make them last longer. They won't give any warranty without this aluminium deflector on timber windows

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Reyman wrote:
    I'm not a great one for aluminium or PVC windows myself for aesthetic reasons. Though I can see they make sense from a maintenance point of view.

I think you have to decide based on the houses around you. If everyone around has a basic pvc or aluminium window there's no point in spending a pile of money on something expensive that sticks out and doesn't look right. It won't pay off in the long term

I went for larch myself with a rim of aluminium at the base of the glass to deflect water and presumably make them last longer. They won't give any warranty without this aluminium deflector on timber windows
    The the alu timber one have the maintenance of pvc,
    but from the inside they look like timber. Well they not only look like timber, they are I suppose.
    www.dansk.ie some <<<<< good examples on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 joolsdeb

yeah, the houses in our area tend to go for timber as replacement windows, i guess white PVC is the only thing that would really stick out... have spoken to loads of companies, got lots of quotes already, and still am nowhere near to making a decision. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I went for timber as I couldn't justify the extra expense. I think they are so well finished when you get them that they don't need to be painted for about five years anyway, depending on exposure. Perhaps if you're facing the Atlantic or on a mountainside, you should go for aluminium, but in a more sheltered spot timber's fine. That was my reasoning anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SirNorman

joolsdeb wrote:
    hi, we are replacing old alumnium windows in our house. just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on alu-wood vs regular timber windows.

There are about a dozen companies importing composition aluminum/wood. The advantage is evident in that you can get any RAL colour you wish on the outside with the accompanying low maintenance of aluminium. The look of wood on the inside is a very desirable addition to the house. Check out www.megrame.LT . Probably the best finished of all the windows. I think Pratts of Trim do Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have the Alu-Wood windows, and am very happy with them.
    I got the outside finished in a dark grey, and the effect is that the windows are not really noticable, but the stone front of the house gets you attention.

They do collect a fair bit of condensation on the inside, and If I was doing it again, i would have specified perma-vents also.

http://www.apasystems.ie/Products/Aluwood/aluwood.htm

*EDIT:

Oh, and they are internally glazed and have 3 point espag locking systems. So they are quite secure. I found that the common belief was that these alu-wood systems were poor in security terms, but this isn't true.

Advertisement