Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss on lawn

Options
  • 28-03-2007 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Anyone elses lawns covered in moss? Its really bad this year. Have put down the moss killer and will rake it out when it dies but how long should you wait before re-sowing grass where the moss was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

As soon as you rake out the moss I would have thought. Just get a handfull of lawn seed and shake it on the area. Unless it's really bald altogether, you shouldn't need it. The grass will grow back itself.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Once you are sure that the moss is dead and raked out, you can sow the grass seed.

When mowing the lawn if you cut the grass very low this can cause moss to thrive Also lots of damp and wet weather...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably worth spreading some lime based compound on the lawn to raise the ph - this favours the type of grass you want, and is less hospitable to the moss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely try the lime compound

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

some lime based compound
    any suggestions?

I aerate every now and again also which is supposed to help keep the moss away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

furtzy wrote:
    Anyone elses lawns covered in moss? Its really bad this year. Have put down the moss killer and will rake it out when it dies but how long should you wait before re-sowing grass where the moss was?
    what type of moss killer you using?

I use the 3 in one lawn sand (feed, weed & moss killer) annually and every 6 weeks during the March-October months and its only until June I start to see good results, but then all through the summer, the lawn is really strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Used the 3 in 1 Evergreen feed, weed and moss killer. I see the moss is starting to turn black now. Theres going to be a lot of the lawn with no grass once the moss is gone.

The last 2 years the lawn was really strong and in great condition. Its just this year that the moss is really bad so I don't know what caused this. I think aerating it and putting on the lime compound may help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lex Luthor wrote:
    any suggestions?

I aerate every now and again also which is supposed to help keep the moss away
    calcified seaweed; it's about a fiver for enough to cover 15 sq m, i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

furtzy wrote:
    Its just this year that the moss is really bad so I don't know what caused this.

It's down to the particularly wet Winter we have just had. The previous 2/3 years were very dry and not conducive to the spread of Moss.

Advertisement