Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to this-and some questions?

Options
  • 28-03-2007 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi All,

As you maybe able to tell from my name I usually hang around different fourm pages.

I've been thinking buy a rifle for around 12 months now but have not done any real looking into it until recently, and now Im alittle confused, with reguard to ammo types.

I have decided on a bolt action rifle but magazines/internet have confused me with the figures on ammunation such as .22 (im familar with this one) .22l, .177, .223 etc etc

My father had a rifle for years when I was younger but has since gotten rid of it, it was a .22. And I used to enjoy shooting with it.

The reason I want a rifle, well Im not into hunting just target shooting really so Im not looking for it for that reason.

Licence, I have no problem getting permission form land owners but is there anything else? Do they give licence's to young people? (20)

Could ye give me any advice on the subject. Type of rifle? (altho Ive kinda decided on something) Where to buy? But in pictular the ammunation, this has me confused?

Thanks in advanced.

Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok firstly as you say you want it for targets i'd advise attending a range close to you and getting a feel for it.

the main difference in rifle ammo is rimfire or centerfire.

generally rimfire are smaller rounds which ignite near the rim of the cartridge. They therefore do not have the structural integrity of bigger centerfire rounds, they do not have as much gun powder in them as a result and do not travel as far.

Probably the most popular rimfire round is the .22lr (lr = long rifle)

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimfire

generally centerfire rounds are bigger and ignite from the center allowing more gunpowder, therefore these rounds travel further/faster, cause more recoil, crack louder and are more expensive.

examples or centerfire rounds are .223, .243, .270, .308

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centerfire

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Howerya? .22lr aka .22 Long rifle rimfire is probably what you want, cheap to shoot, quiet, versatile. As to make of rifle I think you will find some support on the boards for a CZ:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

definitly the cz. thanks to the help from people on the forum yesterday i was able to establish a great amount of information on my.22 rifle which i was under the impression was a brno but in turn it was actually a cz dated 1996, but nonetheless a great gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Cool thanks all, appericate the info, has help me clear up the confusion on the ammo thing.

As for the CZ guns, yes I have looked at these and I likes:D , now is there any stockist in the country for them??

Thanks

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Most do the CZ's I reckon.

I just got the Varmint version of the CZ452 a few weeks back and
    Love the thing to bits. It has a free floating heavy barell thats shorter
    than the other models. I took it to the range where it raised some eyebrows
    and generated a little bit of interest.

I'd be like yourself and have no interest in Killing things.
    There appears to be a good mix of paper punchers and hunters
    on this board so theres a wealth of information from peeps here.

~B

• Advertisement

i called griffen and hawe in athy recently they had new and second hand cz.22 for some great prices. check him out

thats a very good price but if its your first rifle you could get the same one second hand maybe 7 to ten years old with the sight included for in or around the same price. i got a 10 year old one with sight for 380. no complaints because you cant seem to go wrong with a second hand one either, so keep this option in mind.

Any sense in kicking off a thread on new v. 2nd hand and individual experiences?

go for it!

• Advertisement

Well guys I applied for my licence on the 12th of June and I picked up my licence today so not to long a wait, in fact no wait at all.

So I'll pick up the gun now tomorrow.

Plenty more questions to pester ye with coming up!!

Thanks,

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Well done!

Three weeks is a pretty good turnaround on a licence application.

Welcome to shooting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Congrats Ian ...

Keep the questions coming ...

we may not have all the answers ,
    but we have heard most of the questions before......:D

congrats, Have you decided on a club yet to
    go target shooting?

~B

Thanks All,

I visited Fermoy Gun Club a few weeks ago on there open day and was well impressed but because of my job (diving instructor) this time of year is the busy season so I cannot commit to the club just yet but hopefully when the diving sensons dies down then I will try again.

Now onto the questions, will a Harris bipod fit a CZ 452? or will I need adapors?

Ian

Thanks All,
    Now onto the questions, will a Harris bipod fit a CZ 452? or will I need adapors?
    Ian

Yep! not a bother it fits on over the "stud" thats used to hold
    the front sling swivel.

On the Varmint model of the CZ with the heavy
    barrel there are just the studs and no actual swivel. On the other
    models you will need to remove the front swivel but not the stud.
    You can re-attach the fron swivel to the bipos itself then.

Bi-Pods I am told are more suited for hunting.
    I bought one for my rifle and use it while paper target shooting but lots
    of poeple at the range have made comments to say I would be better
    using a bench rest and not a bi-bod for accuracy.
    (I have a bench rest too but I cannot get used to it!)

~B

bullets wrote:
    Yep! not a bother it fits on over the "stud" thats used to hold
    the front sling swivel.

Bi-Pods I am told are more suited for hunting.
    I bought one for my rifle and use it while paper target shooting but lots
    of poeple at the range have made comments to say I would be better
    using a bench rest and not a bi-bod for accuracy.
    (I have a bench rest too but I cannot get used to it!)

~B

Cool thanks. Ya I figured as much about the bi-pod being for hunting but I think Ill be doing alot of shooting (targets) out in fields,for the time being, on my uncles farm so Im guessing it will be good for that, or am I deluding myself!!

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Paddy I have a Harris bipod myself which is great for target shooting. However, my rifle is a fullbore 6.5x55 and is fairly heavy.

You could also consider a single point sling which is the way I learned to shoot a Brno (CZ) .22. Ideal for using prone and also gives a very grip when standing. Don't know the price of them these days but probably a lot less than a good bipod.

It'll help you when starting off as it really shows up any weakness in technique such as bad breathing habits or incorrect positions. You see every tiny movement of the cross-hairs as the rifle feels fully linked to your body.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

Advertisement