Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

African Literature

Options
  • 28-03-2007 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for me with regards african literature?
    I was given an essay for college recently on Heart of Darkness, and having re-read the novella, have fallen in love with the it. I'm in the middle of reading Things fall apart, and again, really like it as a response to HoD so I would love some more good African literature if anyone had any idea's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I could be wrong but Ben Okri perhaps?. I like "The Famished Road".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Heart of darkness while being a superb novel is hardly an african novel. Its a particularily european slant on the african novel. I cant recommend a good african novel but try 'The Shadow Line' by Conrad it blew me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah tbh Heart of Darkness is a European novel on colonialism. If you are interested in it for that sort of reason perhaps the wide sargasso sea would be good. Can't remember the author now, but read it in first year and was impressed. I don't think there is very much in the way of African novels for fairly obvious reasons really, but I know I have a norton anthology of drama with plays from Africa in it. Never read any mind. A quick search of Amazon for some anthologies would be your best bet imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

"Sunday at the Pool in Kigali" - not the novel you are looking for.. but interesting nontheless. It is a fictious remake of one mans experience of the Rwandan genocide. Similar to "Hotel Rwanda" (the film).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The only African novel I've read is Things Fall Apart which you're already reading. I thought it was excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement