Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Signal Boost

• 28-03-2007 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I recently switched to BT and bought a new Belkin MIMO router for home use. The signal isn't much better than it was with eircom and I had to move the router upstairs to get a better signal. Is there anything extra that can be added to increase the signal strenght?????:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You could get a second wireless "booster" that'll connect to your first wireless router and rebroadcast the signal somewhere else. They cost in the region of €100. I think also that some normal routers will perform this operation aswell.

@jessconr - don't hijack another man's thread! Start a new one if you have a question that isn't related to the first.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I recently switched to BT and bought a new Belkin MIMO router for home use. The signal isn't much better than it was with eircom and I had to move the router upstairs to get a better signal. Is there anything extra that can be added to increase the signal strenght?????:

The strength of wireless signal that you are getting has absolutely nothing to do with with your internet provider. It will be dependent mainly on the quality of the equipment you are using and the distances between the router and the attached equipment and of course walls in between.

In general you will not get any extra benefit from a mimo router unless you use the same company's matching wireless cards.

Most wireless routers will cover the average house (in fact I can pick up a fairly strong signal from a bt router which I think is two houses away from (on a terrace by the way).

It would be helpful in terms of further suggestions if you could give details of the house etc in terms of where you want to place the router and where the computers are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deckard1138

Thanks for the help.

I have the router in the bedroom upstairs and the computer is in the next room beside this. I have a Belkin wireless card installed on the laptop but I it isn't specifaclly for MIMO. I was worried about signal strength as I was going to buy a streaming device to connect to the TV downstairs and didn't think this would be any use if I only get a weak signal downstairs

Advertisement