Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So many For Sale signs

Options
  • 28-03-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

There are more and more For Sale signs appearing in all of the Charlesland Estates. Are people getting jittery 'cause house prices in Charlesland have fallen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

why dont you knock on a few doors and ask them?

You will get a far more acuurate picture by doing that than asking here.

The majority of posters here think the world is coming to an end so you wont get a balanced response.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Maccattack wrote:

You will get a far more acuurate picture by doing that than asking here.

The majority of posters here think the world is coming to an end so you wont get a balanced response.

Chill baby chill ;)

Think it's also a good time to buy and a lot of people are 1st time buyers in Charlesland ready to make the move to the 2nd rung of the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Thanks Dubgirl and Maccattack.

It was just a general query as I am a first time buyer in Charlesland (well for 2½ years now), but I have no intention of selling. Obviously there is equity in houses bought at the same time I bought mine, but it worried me that so many are For Sale at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

September and Easter are traditionally the busiest times in the market, so this could explain it. Charlesland is probably a short term thing for a good few people living there, so there's always going to be a bit of turnover.

They're hardly going to tell people that they're terrified that the value's going to drop out of their property, when they are trying to shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Thanks Eoin for putting my mind at ease!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

also I think a lot of people bought property in Charlesland as investment, and those would be the first ones trying to cash in in case of a potential downturn. I think a lot of apartments are investment in particular. That might explain the large number of apartments -especially in wood- for sale.

MuffinsDa wrote:
    also I think a lot of people bought property in Charlesland as investment, and those would be the first ones trying to cash in in case of a potential downturn. I think a lot of apartments are investment in particular. That might explain the large number of apartments -especially in wood- for sale.

That, and first time buyers who only got an apartment as a short term thing.

The duplexes are also a bitch to sell on. They have steps going up from the front door, so will be awkward for young families with prams, and they don't have their own garden either. I have seen them on the market for a while in Charlesland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nickyd

I would have thought that May-September was the time to sell a house in Greystones with the sun out?

All the advertising of both Charlesland and Eden Gate is selling Greystones/Delgany as "the outdoors life style". I know traditionally we've always sold houses in the summer time in Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Better hope if you are selling that you can sell within the next few months because with 210 houses going up soon in Charlesland, apartments in Delgany and if the Marina goes ahead, you'll be living on a huge construction site for the next five years...Roadstone Co. Wicklow!

Marcais wrote:
    Better hope if you are selling that you can sell within the next few months because with 210 houses going up soon in Charlesland, apartments in Delgany and if the Marina goes ahead, you'll be living on a huge construction site for the next five years...Roadstone Co. Wicklow!

Well, you're going to be competing with houses with no or reduced(?) stamp duty (can't remember the threshholds), but the last time I asked I think the two bed townhouses in Delgany were going for well over 500K with 3 bed ones in the 600K range, so hopefully the price of 2nd hand prices will be competitive enough to offset the stamp duty cost for any prospective buyers.

And please let's not turn this into another pro/anti new development thread by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

eoin_s wrote:
    Well, you're going to be competing with houses with no or reduced(?) stamp duty (can't remember the threshholds), but the last time I asked I think the two bed townhouses in Delgany were going for well over 500K with 3 bed ones in the 600K range, so hopefully the price of 2nd hand prices will be competitive enough to offset the stamp duty cost for any prospective buyers.

And please let's not turn this into another pro/anti new development thread by the way.

€381k is the threshold which would probably buy you a studio apartment in Charlesland, except there aren't any.

Marcais wrote:
    €381k is the threshold which would probably buy you a studio apartment in Charlesland, except there aren't any.

Does that apply to first time buyers? Edit: that was the going rate for a 2 bed apartment in Charlesland in September, and as prices don't seem to have risen too much since then, I'd imagine that's still the going rate. Will have to look at daft and see out of interest.

Edit: Just had a quick look on daft; two 2 bed apartments there for 365K and 370K, and a couple of 2 bed terraced house for 405K.

That's easily 10K under the normal asking prices (for each type of house) from last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

I've been following the Charlesland inventory on daft.ie and myhome.ie with a little interest for the last couple of months. The figures below are not scientific, and are taken at irregular intervals.

Also, rising inventory across the country seems to be the general trend (see http://daftwatch.atspace.com), so I guess everyone is seeing more For Sale signs everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

its interesting that a 3 bed in Charlesland is now the same price as a 3 bed in Eden Gate, even though when Eden Gate was launched the 3 bed was over 40 grand more expensive...wonder whats up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

The reasons apparently are because the 3 beds in Eden gate are very very small and have very small kitchens and gardens compared to Charlesland so value wise that makes the 3 bed in Charlesland better value plus the fact that I did hear (dont know how true it is)that affordable housing was being built beside Eden Gate part2 so that may have affected the prices up there for those that may not like that idea. Personally it wouldnt bother me but I have a great 3 bed in Charlesland and have been in the ones in Eden Gate while they have a good finish they really are far too small for the money and I would have gone for the larger 3 bed in Charlesland any day.

INCH wrote:
    The reasons apparently are because the 3 beds in Eden gate are very very small and have very small kitchens and gardens compared to Charlesland so value wise that makes the 3 bed in Charlesland better value plus the fact that I did hear (dont know how true it is)that affordable housing was being built beside Eden Gate part2 so that may have affected the prices up there for those that may not like that idea. Personally it wouldnt bother me but I have a great 3 bed in Charlesland and have been in the ones in Eden Gate while they have a good finish they really are far too small for the money and I would have gone for the larger 3 bed in Charlesland any day.

Yeah, the 3 beds in Eden Gate are a little small, I was in one and you'd be hard pushed to put more than a 2-seater or two single-seaters in the living room.

Also when you remove the names from the address, Charlesland is probably a lot more convenient with its proximity to the dart, beach, bus routes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

INCH wrote:
    =I did hear (dont know how true it is)that affordable housing was being built beside Eden Gate part2 so that may have affected the prices up there for those that may not like that idea.

funny you should say that, I live in the Court and my back garden faces onto some land that seperates us from the Burnaby Lawns estate. I have spoken to the landowner a couple of times, a really old farmer type, he says the council are sending guys in suits to him all the time tryng to strongarm him into selling the land for an affordable housing scheme. He says he was born there and does not want to move but seems resigned to having to give in to them eventually. I think we will see lots more estates pop up over the next few years. Hopefully n.i.m.b.y! Hey does that mean Im a nimby now as well as a decklander..thanks a lot David Mc Williams!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

You have to remember mortgage interest has gone up again to 4.x which is hammering the first time buyer; According to BOI's head honcho's the market is showing signs of slowing (in respect to prices going upwards) and will level off next year.

Advertisement