Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com + Duty charges

Options
  • 28-03-2007 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Has anyone of late gotten stung with duty charges on packages from Play.com?

I believe they were cracking down on this with packages over €19.99 in value ... is this still the case or has the issue been resolved...?

Want to order a few things that will push over that barrier.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

A game worth €45 got nabbed by them a month ago and took a further 2 weeks to arrive, crafty old play.com had neglected to put the price on the package so i didn't have to pay any duties on it...
    I guess they're doing that will all orders over a certain price now (a dvd that I ordered on the same day arrived with the price clearly on display on the packaging)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Hmmm so I should be okay then ...? Anyone else gotten nabbed recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,890 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think the price is anything over 40 - at least that is what was stated by a spokeman in the indo around christmas. I have also noticed Play have stopped displaying prices on the packaging (got two games like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

There's a figure of Eur 22 being thrown around a lot, and a higher one of Eur 40 which I read somewhere applies to 'gifts'.

So if you're buying anything, think of it as a gift to yourself. You deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

i have had 3 packages worth 27.99 each sent thru without any hassle in the past month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ive gotten 5 or 6 20-30 quid packages in the last few weeks without any difficulty

i presume the fact that they post everything individually helps a good deal with this

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Just sent this email to see what they come back with. Friend of mine raised the issue again at the weekend after listening to Ray Darcy.

Hi guys,

A quick question for you… I’ve been ordering DVD’s off you for a number of years with no problems at all (super service I might add :-)) but there has been a lot of talk on national radio in the last few weeks about the Revenue Commissioners stopping and seizing DVD’s and CD’s shipped from PLAY.com and requesting ridiculous payments for items imported to Ireland. Have you heard anything about this or is this an urban legend that’s just blown up….

I know a lot of my buddys are debating whether to order or not if we’re gonna have to pay for the DVD’s then pay nearly the same again in revenue. Could the packages be shipped without the PLAY.com logo on the package??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've ordered a few things (about €100 worth of stuff) in the past fortnight and nothing has been stopped, but I mark it as a gift and I alternate between getting each one delivered to work, home or my boyfriends house.

Nightwish wrote:
    I've ordered a few things (about €100 worth of stuff) in the past fortnight and nothing has been stopped, but I mark it as a gift and I alternate between getting each one delivered to work, home or my boyfriends house.
    how do you, yourself, mark it as a gift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

When I order it, I put a different name on it (such as my boyfriends), and have it sent as a gift. They don't put the price on the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lolly.o

I've ordered loads of dvds off them and only one got stopped at customs. by the time i had received the letter from revenue i had already told play.com that my order had not been received and they sent out another one free of charge which was delivered without a problem!! i think its just luck whether they get stopped or not.

Nightwish wrote:
    When I order it, I put a different name on it (such as my boyfriends), and have it sent as a gift. They don't put the price on the outside.
    ah right, never knew you could do that, cheers. though i have noticed the price has not been printed on the package of the last few items i bought from Play

Advertisement