Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rebuild woes

Options
  • 28-03-2007 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Recently, my computer died, from what looked to be the result of either motherboard or processor failure. So i decided to replace both. The fitting of the new parts was fine, and everything went everywhere it should have. However, since powering on, i've encountered several problems.

1) The computer seems to be running VERY slowly. I upgraded to a core duo processor, and yet startup to the windows login still takes 4-5 minutes.
    2) I can't login to windows because it needs me to validate the copy. Is this normal? I haven't been able to validate yet because the mobo can't see the drivers for the network card yet.
    3) Lastly and most importantly, i can't see my CD drive. The bios will pick it up with no problem(i can boot from it), but windows refuses to see it. This is obviously bad because i can't install the necessary drivers for problem 2. Previously, i had the CD drive connected to the slave on an IDE cable, but since the rebuild i've just decided to use a sata cable, and switch the CD drive to master.

Are all of these teething problems normal, and has anybody any ideas where to start to look for answers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

erm... you need to reinstall windows... all your problems will go away. You can't just change a motherboard, chipset and cpu and XP will automatically adjust. It is a rather complicated and finicky process to do such a thing so usually the easiest solution is to do a fresh reinstall.

Also, what do you mean "from what looked to be the result of...". How did you troubleshoot the problem? How do know it isn't a dodgy PSU?

Also, if you can't get into XP then how do you know you can't see your CD drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You can make this work.

1. Ring the windows activation number and tell them you had to replace your motherboard due to the old one failing, you will need your XP License key to hand. They will activate windows for you.

2. When you get into XP, uninstall all your chipset drivers etc from your old Mobo and any other drivers that are no longer relevant.

3. Switch the DVD Drive back to IDE to install drivers, or failing that, using another PC dl the drivers for you mobo etc to a usb key and install them on your PC from the usb key.

4. Everything should work more or less fine.

5. What is said above (re-install) is indeed the easiest thing to do, but if you have an OEM copy of Windows which came with your PC and no disks you may be better off doing what I have suggested.

Inqui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doc_1982

L31mr0d wrote:
    Also, what do you mean "from what looked to be the result of...". How did you troubleshoot the problem? How do know it isn't a dodgy PSU?

Also, if you can't get into XP then how do you know you can't see your CD drive?

Well it was the mobo/chipset, i got diagnosed in the tech forum. The PSU has also been replaced to something meatier.

And i can still boot into safe mode without having to validate.

And thanks for all your help Inquitius. I hadn't planned on uninstalling windows because i don't want to lose my data, but if i have to, i guess i have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Did you have a single core or single chip before this?? If you did you will need to change the HAL from Single proc to multi proc .. which involves a bit of messing in the device manager

Its nearly always easier do a clean install in this sort of case

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

reinstalling windows will fix most of your woes, then just ring to activate windows (tell them your motherboard died and was replaced if they ask, they usually don't).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

if you can get into safe mode then you can backup your files. I'd highly recommend backing up all your important files (hopefully you have a backup partition set up, if not, then burn the files to dvd or transfer them another drive or pc) Doing a fresh reinstall if you don't have a partition setup will give you the opportunity to do so this time around.

There ARE ways to get windows back working again, but everytime a problem occurs in windows you are going to have to factor this hotswap into your troubleshooting which will become a headache (i.e. spurious registry entires, fragmented drivers... etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

try and back up your stuff onto a usb stick or if that is too small stick a second hard drive in and copy all your info over which will free your main drive

Advertisement