Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Ireland have any hope?

• 28-03-2007 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Cricket is the one sport I know absolutely nothing about, but I was just wondering do Ireland have any hope at the world cup, they are in the news alot and in the last 16?(i think). In comparison to say.....the world cup in Italia 90, where imo Ireland could possibly have shocked everyone and won it had we beaten the Italians, how we fixed for Cricket.

This is an honest question for someone who knows the sport not a debate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Simply put, no, not a hope in hell ;o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

no hope of winning the tournament.
    We're in the last 8, not 16.
    We could win a couple of games though, which would be great.
    Most of the Irish team are amateurs. It's not comparable to Ireland in World Cup 90, where the squad was made up of players with strong reputations already. This is much more impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, we beat Pakistan, only the top 4 side in the World :)

I think things are going to get tougher. I know they are. We are in the last 8 (Super 8's) and I really can only hope for the chance of 2 wins, no dead certs. We won't be semi-finalists. And I think everyone here is a realist. In saying that, what they have achieved is beyond Ireland's wildest dreams. :)

Interesting to go back and compare to Italia 90.... Its sometimes forgotten in the mists of time, that we didn't beat anyone. We only beat Romania on penalties, we didn't beat anyone in 90 minutes. Penalties are only really tie-breakers in early rounds of a World Cup (thats why a score is always given as "Ireland 0 Romania 0, Ireland won 5-4 on penalties") Also, all our players were professionals playing in England. The cricket team only has 3 professionals playing in county cricket in England.

Cricket is a smaller pond, but it is the difference between amateur and professional. Thats what makes the cricket achievement huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

All I'll say is where theres will theres a way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

As achievements go Ireland have already won their World Cup. They've embarassed one of the top teams in the world to make it to the super 8s.

Anything extra is just a bonus. As DMC stated Ireland can hope to win another 2 at least.

This was all unthinkable weeks ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement