Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Advantage or Nokia E90??

• 28-03-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi all.. I'm smitten with two forthcoming handsets..
    Would love to hear other comments on merits of both platforms/devices..
    I've been using both platforms for about 5 years, most recently Symbian.. thinking of moving back to Windows Mobile as WM6 looks promising..

So, which would you go for and why??
    I suppose the bigger question is WM6 or S60v.3.0?
    Opinions welcome!

Here they are

HTC Advantage
    http://www.seehtc.com/

Nokia E90
    http://europe.nokia.com/A4346040

So, which handset would you go for and why? 3 votes

HTC Advantage
    0% 0 votes
    Nokia E90
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Currently tied... ;)
    come on people! Declare your allegiance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I haven't used either of those. But from general use of both platforms, nokia normally make nicer phones but I find Windows Mobile the better OS.

I've only had a quick chance to look at WM6 on the S710 SmartPhone (which is a lovely device) and from first glance it seems similar to WM5 with some improved features. I actually think WM6 is based on what was going to be 5.4. This means that alot of apps for WM5 should work for WM6.

looking at the htc shift now... plot thickens. not released till q3 though...
    Also found the perfect way to actually use the phone functions of shift or advantage via the... LG style-i.
    A seemingly pointless bluetooth product that definitely did not have much of a purpose until these two behemoths surfaced.

HTC Shift: http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_HTC_Shift.htm
    LG Style-i: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LG-BLUETOOTH-STYLE-i-HBM-700-PEN-HEADSET_W0QQitemZ280097431491QQcategoryZ133234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

I currently use both a HTC TyTN and a Nokia E61.

Had a JasJar previously and found it too large as a phone but great as a data device so expect if I ever got an Advantage would stick a data only sim in it and use as a web brower, email and remote desktop.

The E90 looks really nice, small form factor, usable as a phone and also a large internal screen.

Also tempted by the Toshiba G900

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/12/toshibas-g900-and-e01-with-windows-mobile-6/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

skearon wrote:

that phone looks the business. Any idea on the price?

• Advertisement

foobar wrote:

No, probably alot though :-(

foobar wrote:

After Google found one site with a price of UK£445 ex VAT ~ €665 ex VAT so not as bad as I thought

http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?product=DF97BE4A-4493-4E49-9D52-A1189EAC7921

I was looking at the Tosh as well.. Like the widescreen and fingerprint reader/mouse.. The G500 is also nice, but after using my E61 for so long I really need qwerty!
    Have a JasJar too which I love but my screen is screwed up in landscape mode so I stopped using it for ages and really need to get it fixed..
    Main selling point of the Advantage for me is screen size.. web browsing (a decent prospect with 3's new data plans), excel docs, mobipocket books etc.. word editing etc... I find the E61 slow and cumbersome for editing docs even with a bt keyboard...
    Love Symbian overall, phone first etc..
    Though I think its time though to get into WM again..
    Nice link below feat the G900.. wouldn't mind this guys job! ;)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mikehall/archive/2007/03/06/a-peek-at-some-windows-mobile-6-devices.aspx

Just noticed from your link to the Toshiba skearon, that it seems to support USB OTG, you can read/write to a usb key.. Very Handy!

quintron wrote:
    Have a JasJar too which I love but my screen is screwed up in landscape mode so I stopped using it for ages and really need to get it fixed..

If its ok in Portrait maybe a firmware issue? I found running WM6 on the Jasjar made it faster, perhaps it will fix the problem, goto www.xda-developers.com and the Universal WM6 forum to download it

skearon wrote:
    If its ok in Portrait maybe a firmware issue? I found running WM6 on the Jasjar made it faster, perhaps it will fix the problem, goto www.xda-developers.com and the Universal WM6 forum to download it

Cheers skearon, its definitely a cable/ribbon issue, tried VGA hack and then loaded WM6 from xda-developers to no avail.
    I've just started using it again though in portrait mode to test out 3's broadband add-ons and I realise that I need to go with a screen at least as big as the Jasjar in future.
    I'll probably get the jasjar repaired and use it for a while or sell it to finance the advantage...
    btw, you might know.. I cannot send texts thru jasjar using my 3 sim. Was able to before. Cannot find where to define messaging centre. I'm able to receive texts fine.
    I've been thru the registry and can't find anything. Do you know where I can set that up? I feel like I'm missing something simple here.. :rolleyes:
    (Its an xda exec so I think somehow the o2 (uk) msg centre # is hardwired in there..).
    cheers,

• Advertisement

quintron wrote:
    Cheers skearon, its definitely a cable/ribbon issue, tried VGA hack and then loaded WM6 from xda-developers to no avail.
    I've just started using it again though in portrait mode to test out 3's broadband add-ons and I realise that I need to go with a screen at least as big as the Jasjar in future.
    I'll probably get the jasjar repaired and use it for a while or sell it to finance the advantage...
    btw, you might know.. I cannot send texts thru jasjar using my 3 sim. Was able to before. Cannot find where to define messaging centre. I'm able to receive texts fine.
    I've been thru the registry and can't find anything. Do you know where I can set that up? I feel like I'm missing something simple here.. :rolleyes:
    (Its an xda exec so I think somehow the o2 (uk) msg centre # is hardwired in there..).
    cheers,

Don't have the Jasjar any more, but recently upgraded a firiend's O2 IE XDA Exec to WM6, and sent texts ok with Vodafone, perhaps 3 is different

no worries...
    Yes 3 is "different" alright!

Advertisement