Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Female Gunsmiths/Blunderbuss

Options
  • 28-03-2007 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

I posted this also in the Limerick board in case anyone locally
    would have some info.

I came across a mention of Limerick while reading about some
    antique firearms.

Aparently there was a Lady here who was supposed
    to be in charge or ran some place called "mills" that produced
    Blunderbuss firearms.

Anyone got any information in the history of the factory the Woman in question
    or its location.

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Off the top of my head ,I think there were over 15 different gunsmiths in Limerick over the last 200 odd years."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The Article I was reading mentioned two female ones.
    Mary Mell 1788 and Mrs Mills 1779 widow of John Mills
    And thewy gave a figure of about 30 gunmakers that traded
    in Limerick around then.

(The magazine was Classic Arms and Militaria Vol XIV Issue 1
    Nice mag as I do clasical fencing as well as shooting so this mag
    has both swords and guns!! Bliss!)

The Blunderbuss in question was had an 1843 registration mark
    CL28 (Co. Clare)

It sparked up an interest to see if there was any more detailed
    info out there or where the buildings are in Limerick that were
    used manufacture them as aparently Limerick had a substantial gun trade.
    (nothings changed then)

~B

The CL mark ASFIK from an old article in a now defunct Irish shooting mag,is the reg number of who owned it[.Even then registration existed.:)

You have piked my intrest now in this blunderbuss.I have seen two in Limerick, over the years both were spring loaded bayonet types,flintlock ignition,brass barrelld,and not trumpet blunderbusses,rather more like a old cannon muzzle,if that makes sense.Does that look like anything in the mag pics??They were for sale in a certain antique shop near King Johns castle,and well out of my price braket.:eek:
    Of the original buildings of gunsmiths,there ASFIK none left.The closest one is one in Ellen st.It is a jeweller shop,they have a cool little O/U wallet pistol mounted in a case with a note on its manufacture date in that address.Worth a look.
    The other recent smiths are gone.Nestors is a depressing pub.Mulligans,used to be where Supermacs is now.
    Nah!We are affulent these days we buy in our pieces.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

a certain antique shop near King Johns castle,and well out of my price braket.:eek:
    I know the shop, have not been in there in over 10 years but they
    always had lots of neat stuff before but they were always way over priced.
    I do recall another gun shop/ammo supplier out that direction years ago
    but I cannot remember the name of the place. It was near the treaty stone.
    Of the original buildings of gunsmiths,there ASFIK none left.The closest one is one in Ellen st.It is a jeweller shop,they have a cool little O/U wallet pistol mounted in a case with a note on its manufacture date in that address.Worth a look.
    I had a feeling if anyplace in the city it would be
    around that general area.Wonder if that is the antique dealer Robin who also deals with jewellery.
    The other recent smiths are gone.Nestors is a depressing pub./QUOTE]
    I have fond memories of going into the basement of Nestors as a child Ooogling at all the nice stuff. I would not set foot in the Pub nowadays
    as last I can remember too many yuppie type snobs for my likeing.
    (for non Limerick people reading Nestors used to be a sports/gun store
    that closed down and later got turned into a Pub)

The Pic in the Magazine I was reading only show the registration mark but not the whole gun. One of the lady posters on the Limerick Boards posted a link
    http://www.limerickcorp.ie/applicati...px?RowID=30822
    It was working earlier in the evening for me but for some reason has
    now gone 404 on me.

~B

I do recall another gun shop/ammo supplier out that direction years ago
    but I cannot remember the name of the place. It was near the treaty stone.
    I had a feeling if anyplace in the city it would be
    around that general area.Wonder if that is the antique dealer Robin who also deals with jewellery.

Dereck Kearney ,fruit&veg,guns and ammo .:eek: down near Baals bridge,opposite Barringtons hospital?Gone now as well.Yup,think it is Robin all right.
    I have fond memories of going into the basement of Nestors as a child Ooogling at all the nice stuff. I would not set foot in the Pub nowadays
    as last I can remember too many yuppie type snobs for my likeing.
    (for non Limerick people reading Nestors used to be a sports/gun store
    that closed down and later got turned into a Pub)

You too???Gus & Joe Nestor were two of the best mentors on local shooting&fishing a young fella could have....Pity they never wrote their memories down.A archive on shooting and fishinfg knowledge on Munster went to the Happy hunting grounds with them.:(

Tried the link 404 as well.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement