Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Problem

• 28-03-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Hi, internet question here. My friend has a laptop, its not registered with ucd but it works fine anyway, can always get wireless signal and browse the internet.

Thing is, they cant connect to the internet with an ethernet cable, which would be really useful since their wireless isnt working atm (Though Im sitting beside them and mines fine).

now my networking expertise are limited. I made sure they were "obtaining an IP automatically" as opposed to a static and that in IE settings they were using the ucd proxy. What else is there to do?

How do you change a mac address on your computer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

As far as I know wireless connection and cable connections are different in UCD.
    Wireless works for everyone, withouth having to register, while for cable connection you have to register with Computer services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Its not possible to change he mac address on some hardware. I can't think of why you would need to change it in your case but it can be done in windows using regedit (where depends on windows version, other os's use different techniques more info here).

Are you sure the ethernet network card was on and working properly(power saving schemes quite often disable it if its not being used/ low battery) and that there are no problems with it (can check in device manager or networking configuration bit).

As i've never brought a laptop to UCD the previous posters answer might be more relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

hi

i just brought mine upstairs to get it registered on the lan network. In order to use the cable points you must go through this process. Wireless is a disaster around here.

G

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Your MAC address must be registered with computer services for it to work on the wired network. (The only extras you really get is the ability to connect to the Novell File Servers and a faster download speed).

You can change the apparent MAC (not IP) address of many network cards in Windows under the Network icon in the control panel. However this can disrupt network activity and ergo get you in to big trouble. (Be warned that computer services do monitor the TCP/IP layer of the network - that's how they catch people using P2P. So don't do it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Grimes wrote:
    hi

i just brought mine upstairs to get it registered on the lan network. In order to use the cable points you must go through this process. Wireless is a disaster around here.

G
    Is that in the library? Where abouts? Does it take long?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Daedalus or any IT centre in UCD will do it. Registration takes 24 hours before you can use the ethernet.

Or if you know a postgrad they're allowed register computers themselves online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

There are currently 3 IT centers on campus. One is in Daedalus in room G7. The second is in the Newman (arts) building, on the first floor in room D104a. The last is in Health Science. It is to the right of the main desk as you walk in the main entrance and then down the bottom of the hall.

As said, it takes 24hours for the registration to be active. But be warned, if you are file sharing or your laptop is infected with a virus that can infect other PC's on the network.. or you have internet connection sharing switched on. The PC will be blackholed from the network. (this means its network access being removed)

Wireless is free to all, but in the Library is can be problematic, due to the high volume of usage there. If you have problems there, try changing floors or move to an other area with wireless. If your still having a problem, then go to the IT Centers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

yeah they is right so they is.

24 hours and 100mps connection at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

sutty wrote:
    Wireless is free to all, but in the Library is can be problematic, due to the high volume of usage there.

True that. I've an Orinoco Gold (wardriving card) and I stil can't maintain a solid connection for long at peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

My wireless card acts very strange in UCD. On my laptop I've a dual-boot of Windows XP (its just there for Football Manager!) & Ubuntu.
    So when I'm using the wireless network while in XP, the connection keeps dropping (and thats if it does connect in the first place). I've sat beside the wireless router in the library and in lecture theatres and it even acts up. Then while using Ubuntu my connection never fails at all?! Its very strange altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Some drivers can be very buggy occasionally. Also your card could be activating power management when running in Windows and not necessairly doing it in Linux. Also, as standard Linux won't necessairly 'roam' - often in Windows the connection drops when it tries to decide which of two access points is stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Notorious wrote:
    My wireless card acts very strange in UCD. On my laptop I've a dual-boot of Windows XP (its just there for Football Manager!) & Ubuntu.
    So when I'm using the wireless network while in XP, the connection keeps dropping (and thats if it does connect in the first place). I've sat beside the wireless router in the library and in lecture theatres and it even acts up. Then while using Ubuntu my connection never fails at all?! Its very strange altogether.

This sounds more like a driver issue. I used to have it on an old home network. Try getting a few different driver versions for your card and seeing which one is best and most stable.

Advertisement