Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox Live outage - reason?

• 28-03-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the deal was with the Outage yesterday? I know it was a planned one, they were calling it a maintenance window, but the last time they (MS) did that it was to prep Xbox Live for the 360 launch.

Surely it wasn't being upgraded for the new Elite console. Is there anything else behind it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

plugging security holes at a guess :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Theres rumours of it being upgraded to introduce a fee based scheme for some online games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Jonny, I can't open that link (work firewall is blocking it!). Can you copy and paste the info? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ntlbell wrote:
    plugging security holes at a guess :P

id imagine so, especially after the reports of people having their live accounts stolen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Basically updaes to allow users operate clans better and the likes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm pretty sure it has been down for maintenance like that before, after the 360 launch, so it might not be for anything major, just security and feature updates (and possibly general maintenance).

Xbox Live will down and out for 24 hours starting Wednesday, April 24, for a huge update. Microsoft have called this update Tsunami, and it sounds like major changes are in the air for all of you XBLers. According to a series of posts by the XBL Big Cheeze, Tsunami will include four types of additions...

TEAMS
    Developer support for integrating team/clan functionality into their titles.

COMPETITIONS
    Easily build different types of competitions into titles that can be created and administered by the publisher and/or users.

MSN ALERTS AND MESSENGER INTEGRATION
    What It Is: Invitation and Presence-based alerts and a new Xbox/MSN Messenger tab with user contextual information.

TITLE MANAGED ONLINE STORAGE
    What It Is: Provides user profile data storage along with a simple way for titles to dynamically manage game influencing data on the fly.

Nelson points out that developers will have to program in implementation into the games they are creating. The good news is that the SDK for Tsumani went out several months ago, so the delay shouldn't be too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

koneko wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it has been down for maintenance like that before, after the 360 launch, so it might not be for anything major, just security and feature updates (and possibly general maintenance).

Yup it has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Helix wrote:
    id imagine so, especially after the reports of people having their live accounts stolen
    They weren't stolen through any security holes, they got them by tricking the tech support into giving out passwords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

jonny24ie wrote:

eh, that article is dated 4/19/2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

Ronan wrote:
    eh, that article is dated 4/19/2004

:D:D:D:D

Ciaran500 wrote:
    They weren't stolen through any security holes, they got them by tricking the tech support into giving out passwords.

allegedly

Ah sorry, I have 2 links so I will throw the other one up when I find it again!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Bit annoyed as the outage as it ruined my 36 or so day playing streak on 360voice.com. I did play but since Live was down, it didn't register. Ah well.

would yis rather they didnt fix the problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

The wikipedia entry for the Oblivion expansion Shivering Isles suggests that the outage had something to do with uploading the expansion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The expansion was available on live before it went down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Helix wrote:
    would yis rather they didnt fix the problems?
    I'm just curious is all - being relatively new I thought the only other 'planned outages' were for big upgrades to the Service. (e.g. tsunami and when the 360 was released).

I know (and am rather disappointed) that this was just a regular maintenance window.

• Advertisement
Advertisement