Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

x% extra free...

Options
  • 28-03-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I was in the local Maxol garage a few weeks ago and picked up a bottle of Club Orange. Noted that the price was 1.35 for the normal 500ml bottle so thought I may as well get the bigger bottle with whatever percentage free it has... but the price for it was 1.50... surely the garage shouldn't be doing that?? :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have seen that in a few places!!

Its not right but people still pay it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm pretty sure special offer products are supposed to retain the same price for a month before they can be raised, but I'm not sure if that's part of consumer law or just an "industry guideline". Local garages would probably be pretty sketchy on it either way. I'd suggest contacting the Consumers Association of Ireland, or that other one Gov.ie came up with to give someone a job.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I bought some super glue in a large hardware shop and it had a 2g gel version attached for free, sample you know. The normal one without the sample was 3.50 so I strolled up the counter and was charged 4.70... Crappy indeed.

Did you complain to someone in the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It is the usual issues of either a mistake or profiteering. Again, I am a shop manager and believe it or not, sometimes when suppliers add 50% extra free to something, the cost price goes up as well. They look on it as a way for the shop to shoulder some of the cost of the promotion. I have seen this with a well known brand of irish biscuits, you can guess who, and when I go in tomorrow I will check the cost of pepsi and pepsi max as they are both 50% extra free at the moment.

I am not defending the shop whatsoever, I am just stating it as it is. Another example is duracell batteries. I mainly stock the 4 + 2 free AA pack which gives me a margin of about 28%. However, if I just stocked the standard 4 pack, the same selling price would give me well over 40%

I will post back tomorrow night with an update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is that not an issue for retailers to take up with the suppliers though? A promotion generates sales so if it's accepted practice that the retailer shoulders some of the cost then they should not be passing it on to customers.

I wasn't aware that the wholesale cost increased on promotional items.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Free means free and not oh yeah we are charging extra for this "free" portion!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I said sometimes, not always, and as for the comment free is free, have you tried the FREE Ryanair flights recently, nothing in this world is free, someone, somewhere ends up paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Supplier normally expect the retailer to foot 50% of the "free" cost. Example is the regular MB Games 3 for price of 2 or buy one get the second half price. Supplier will give you additional stock to make up half your losses - but with the extra sales you get and the extra advertising that the supplier puts into the products you would normally have a gain overall.

dahamsta wrote:
    Did you complain to someone in the shop?

Smeg yes I did! Got nowhere though.

• Advertisement

Well done, it's important to complain. I hope you put the product back on the shelf then? :)

dahamsta wrote:
    Well done, it's important to complain. I hope you put the product back on the shelf then? :)

Yep and went into my local shop and bought the same pack for 2.50. :rolleyes:

Sorry double post.... *Delete Please*

Advertisement